News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Seeking clues to your highway traffic mysteries

Started by cpzilliacus, October 15, 2013, 10:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Pickett and Edsall...an area of commercial hell.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on October 19, 2013, 05:38:45 AM
Pickett and Edsall...an area of commercial hell.

Pretty much. I can't imagine wanting to live in the new condos going up at the corner of Pickett and Van Dorn.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 15, 2013, 01:35:16 PM
I wish instead of the sign you've posted they would use the unambiguous "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS." All too many people think it's OK to say, "Well, I'm going the speed limit, so I'm not 'slower.'"

That's right, and New Jersey, the one state that I'm familiar with that regularly posts these signs has very good compliance on keeping the left lane open.  I tend to drive between Suburban Washington DC and New York about 3 times a year and though most of Southern NJ, the left lane is kept pretty clear.

If you are driving at the speed limit, keep to the right.  Let the faster traffic go around you and don't try to self-enforce the speed limit.  Keep all the traffic moving well.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mrsman on October 20, 2013, 04:35:30 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 15, 2013, 01:35:16 PM
I wish instead of the sign you've posted they would use the unambiguous "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS." All too many people think it's OK to say, "Well, I'm going the speed limit, so I'm not 'slower.'"

That's right, and New Jersey, the one state that I'm familiar with that regularly posts these signs has very good compliance on keeping the left lane open.  I tend to drive between Suburban Washington DC and New York about 3 times a year and though most of Southern NJ, the left lane is kept pretty clear.

My experiences on the South Jersey part of the New Jersey Turnpike (the four lane segment between 1 and 4) vary.  Sometimes the slower drivers are very good about keeping the left lane open for faster traffic.  Other times, it becomes a very unpleasant trip because someone is hogging the left lane.  Once past Interchange 4, the extra lane each way makes things much better (though then there is (for now) the overloaded segment of the Turnpike  between 6 and 8A, though the widening should be done sometime in 2014, which means the dual-dual lanes will make driving that part of the Turnpike a lot more pleasant.

Maryland has actually posted signs advising motorists to keep to the right except to pass along the southern (four lane) section of I-97 between the half interchange at Md. 178 and U.S. 50, but (of course) the worst offenders ignore the signs.

If you are driving at the speed limit, keep to the right.  Let the faster traffic go around you and don't try to self-enforce the speed limit.  Keep all the traffic moving well.

Nestoring.  If you are not familiar with the verb To nestor, read this 2008 Washington Post column.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

That's right, and New Jersey, the one state that I'm familiar with that regularly posts these signs has very good compliance on keeping the left lane open.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

:ded:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.