News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AZ 564

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 12, 2018, 01:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Back in 2012 I took AZ 564 north from US 160 up to Navajo National Monument.  The circumstances behind AZ 564 being one of only two surviving child routes of AZ 64 is interesting especially when you consider that US 164 once was routed on what is now US 160.  I didn't mention it in the blog but I ended up getting pelted by a snow storm while I was out hiking and had to drive back through it almost all the way to US 89.  Its kind of amusing how weird the weather on the Colorado Plateau could get in the winter, there wasn't even a trace of foul weather near Flagstaff:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/09/arizona-state-route-564-and-navajo.html

Its also interesting to note US 64 takes over part of old SR 64. A bit annoying how it doesn't take the whole route to Williams though, but I suppose that's life. Also, very neat history behind SR 564. Though its a child route of US 164, the fact it came after SR 464 in the numbers and was branched off old SR 64, does technically mean its the last child route of SR 64 to be designated, albeit a little late. Its also interesting they didn't take over the whole BIA Route to SR 98. I cant remember well, but I think I think emember SR 280 in Yuma County being a similar situation. It was either added to the system right after US 80 was truncated or just a few years before. By the way, what was Navajo National Monument like? Your photos show an awesomely beautiful landscape.

VS988

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 707 on September 12, 2018, 05:40:19 PM
Its also interesting to note US 64 takes over part of old SR 64. A bit annoying how it doesn't take the whole route to Williams though, but I suppose that's life. Also, very neat history behind SR 564. Though its a child route of US 164, the fact it came after SR 464 in the numbers and was branched off old SR 64, does technically mean its the last child route of SR 64 to be designated, albeit a little late. Its also interesting they didn't take over the whole BIA Route to SR 98. I cant remember well, but I think I think emember SR 280 in Yuma County being a similar situation. It was either added to the system right after US 80 was truncated or just a few years before. By the way, what was Navajo National Monument like? Your photos show an awesomely beautiful landscape.

VS988

Regarding Navajo National Monument there isn't much to it and I wouldn't recommend it as a stand alone trip.  The trails are about 0.8 to 1.3 miles in length and not very difficult at that.  I did some hiking earlier that day out in the Vermillion Cliffs and Glen Canyon earlier in the day while out clinching US 89 in addition to AZ 98. 

The trouble with a lot of the National Monuments in Arizona is that there are several based around historic structures and are very small.  Generally access to the ruins is prohibited and that in turn limits what you can actually hike.  I prefer the BLM managed National Monuments such as Vermillion Cliffs and Agua Fria.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.