News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NYT Regional Dialect Quiz

Started by Grzrd, January 09, 2014, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

It includes several road-related questions.

My probability ranking was:

1. Jackson, MS
2. Birmingham, AL
3. My home of Atlanta, GA

bandit957

I took this quiz, and it said the closest dialect to me was up around Wisconsin and Iowa.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Zeffy

1. Newark / Paterson NJ
2. Boston MA
3. Springfield MA

Giving that I've been living in Jersey for 15 years now... I'd say it's correct.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

I got, in the following order:

1. Detroit (Devil's Night)
2. Grand Rapids (pop)
3. Buffalo (pop)

The Mitten of Michigan is about as red as it gets on my map.

I am least similar to:

1. Knoxville (pronunciation of lawyer)
2. Chattanooga (pronunciation of lawyer)
3. Jackson, MS (you guys)

I did it via Facebook as well and got:

1. Detroit
2. Grand Rapids
3. Toledo

Makes perfect sense as I am the child of two Detroiters even though I grew up in NE Illinois, but have spent enough time going back and forth between here and SE Michigan.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

I got Boston as my #1 (correct) and my #2 and #3 were ... Phoenix and Tucson  :-(  two desert shitstains I'd love to see firebombed, especially the latter! 

I suppose my accent moved only 5/6 of the way out to California with me?

my not knowing what a drive-through liquor store is called doomed me.  I really don't remember having those in Boston growing up, but I didn't drive much during college and I didn't drink at all before then, so I didn't have much of a need to seek such a thing out.

also, I didn't know what a "frontage road" was because, again, didn't drive much until after college.  I'm sure there's a Boston term for it, but I don't know what it is.

(ps. if you refer to a liquor store as a "packy", you are definitely from New England.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sammi

Okay, this is weird. I apparently speak a dialect of a place I've never been to before.

Most similar:

• Honolulu
  • San Jose
  • Fremont

all for firefly. :sombrero: Least similar:

• Philadelphia (sub)
  • Louisville (garage sale)
  • Jackson (you guys)

We need one with more phonetic stuff. And perhaps data from Canada. :P

briantroutman

I'm going to call B.S. on this survey. It's too easily swayed by a few red herrings.

Being a native of Pennsylvania, I answered the "what do you call a long sandwich..." question as "hoagie" (which I grew up with and may or may not use today depending on the situation and the context), and sure enough, the entire state of Pennsylvania (except Pittsburgh) is ultra red. On the other hand, I don't say "wudder", "kellers", "pitchers", or "Scran'in".

But the real joke is the survey's conclusion that my speech is closest to Phoenix, Glendale, and Tuscon because:

- I don't have a word in my vocabulary for drive-through liquor store
- I would call a road paralleling a highway a "frontage road"

If that's the evidence that I talk like Arizonans...

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 09, 2014, 03:37:11 PM
I got Boston as my #1 (correct) and my #2 and #3 were ... Phoenix and Tucson  :-(  two desert shitstains I'd love to see firebombed, especially the latter! 

I suppose my accent moved only 5/6 of the way out to California with me?

my not knowing what a drive-through liquor store is called doomed me.  I really don't remember having those in Boston growing up, but I didn't drive much during college and I didn't drink at all before then, so I didn't have much of a need to seek such a thing out.

also, I didn't know what a "frontage road" was because, again, didn't drive much until after college.  I'm sure there's a Boston term for it, but I don't know what it is.

(ps. if you refer to a liquor store as a "packy", you are definitely from New England.)

See, I would think there are two different terms for the road paralleling a freeway.
Frontage Road: Two-way road that has no access to the freeway.
Service Drive: One-way road that the freeway ramps connect to.

A store selling liquor is a "party store".  I chose "party barn" for the drive-in variety even though I've never encountered one.  It sounds similar enough.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

sammi

Quote from: Brandon on January 09, 2014, 04:12:36 PM
See, I would think there are two different terms for the road paralleling a freeway.
Frontage Road: Two-way road that has no access to the freeway.
Service Drive: One-way road that the freeway ramps connect to.

I use service road for both. Roads paralleling Philippine expressways are officially named e.g. South Service Road.

agentsteel53

I really only picked up on the concept of a "frontage road" in 2003 when I first drove in Texas.  that's what they call them there, so that's what I got stuck with.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

The three it gave me are New York (for "sneakers"), Yonkers (ditto), and Durham, NC (for "yard sale"). Seems fair enough: While I've never lived in New York, my parents (and all my relatives on my side of the family) grew up in Brooklyn, so that makes sense. Durham also makes sense because I lived there three years while attending Duke Law.

Three least similar: Des Moines (for "soda"), Akron (because I have no word for the grassy area between the sidewalk and the road), and Pittsburgh (because I have no word for the night before Halloween).

I've seen a similar version of this quiz elsewhere in which it actually ranks the cities for which you are most and least similar. This version doesn't do that. I wondered whether it would be confounded because despite many of my answers not jibing with the South I do say "y'all," although it didn't quite reflect my usage because "y'all" can be used to address one person and "all y'all" to address a group. (On the other hand, you wait on line for something, say if you're waiting to purchase beer at a sporting event or if you're a cash user waiting to pay a toll.)

I have never seen a drive-through liquor store.

It did not ask me about a road paralleling a highway (I grew up referring to it as a "side street" because around here we don't generally have Texas-style frontage roads along the Interstate or similar roads) nor about the pronunciation of "lawyer" (which I would have answered, but I prefer the word "attorney"). Maybe the questions vary each time?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

briantroutman

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 09, 2014, 04:37:51 PM
Maybe the questions vary each time?

Must be. I didn't get any questions about sneakers or fireflies.

The three it gave me are New York (for "sneakers"), Yonkers (ditto)...

Sneakers...as a generic term for athletic shoes? What else is there?

1995hoo

Quote from: briantroutman on January 09, 2014, 04:47:35 PM

When I was a kid, some of my teachers called sneakers "tennis shoes."

Big John

Milwaukee, Spokane, Salt Lake City

corco

St Louis, Toledo, Akron. I was born in Ohio to buckeye parents and learned to talk in Chicago before moving all over the west, so I guess that makes sense.

Brandon

"Tennis shoes", "gym shoes", "tennies".  "Sneakers" is such an odd term for them, IMHO.  It's like saying "y'all" or "soda".  "You guys" and "pop" make more sense to me.

vdeane

It was spot on with me (Rochester, NY).  The road related stuff might trip up many people here, though.  When I did it, I typically answered what I would use if I were not a roadgeek who knows better.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sammi

Quote from: Brandon on January 09, 2014, 05:30:37 PM
"Tennis shoes", "gym shoes", "tennies".  "Sneakers" is such an odd term for them, IMHO.

I call them rubber shoes. I only ever have two pairs of shoes, leather shoes (i.e. dress shoes that I used to use for my shitty uniform) and rubber shoes (I'm wearing them right now).

CNGL-Leudimin

Even though I don't have English as native language (that honor falls to Spanish), I did the test a while ago and I got the following:
Most similar cities:
Montgomery AL
Chattanooga TN
Birmingham AL

Least similar:
Minneapolis/St. Paul MN
Buffalo NY
Cleveland OH

I was surprised at the Twin Cities as differing from me, especially looking at my avatar...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on January 09, 2014, 05:30:37 PM

"Tennis shoes", "gym shoes", "tennies".  "Sneakers" is such an odd term for them, IMHO.  It's like saying "y'all" or "soda".  "You guys" and "pop" make more sense to me.

The first time I heard the word "pop" was when I was in the fifth grade. I remember it very clearly because we were given assignments for what to bring to school for some sort of class party and I was told to bring "two bottles of red pop." I had no idea what that meant, but I went home and told my mom and she didn't know what they wanted either, so I asked the teacher the next day and she got mad and told me I was being a smart-aleck. (To say that teacher was a bitch would be unfair to bitches everywhere. A more accurate term would be "c-u-n-t," but I'm not sure that's strong enough either.)

BTW, I tried the quiz again and it gave me different questions from the first time.

Brandon

^^ Interesting, for English as a second (or more?) language.  I would've thought "General American", more Midlands or Northern Inland North American would've been there instead of a Southern accent for ESL.  Out of curiosity, did you have a southerner as an English teacher, CNGL?

TCN7JM

Most similar:
Des Moines (pop)
Omaha (pop)
...Tacoma? (kitty-corner)

Least similar:
Philadelphia (sub)
New Orleans (sub)
New York (Mary, merry, and marry are pronounced the same way)

I seem to have lost my eastern Pennsylvania roots.

I do generally refer to a group of people I'm talking to as "y'all", though.
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

sammi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 09, 2014, 05:40:29 PM
Least similar:
Minneapolis/St. Paul MN

The irony. :sombrero:

I'm from the Philippines so my native language is Filipino, but my first language is English. My parents taught me English with some sort of American accent, which for some reason Filipinos call slang. Partly lost it over the years. I don't remember how it sounds though, so I can't put it on the map just like I did here.

Apparently I sound like a hybrid of Fremont and Toronto. :P (I was never asked about the prevalence of eh in my speech.)

formulanone

Parents from NJ/NY zone, lived in NJ, eventually moved to Florida, so I'm not exactly shocked...they're essentially linguistic equals on the map.

I guess "sneakers", "highway", "water fountain", and "soda" give me away. "Katty-corner" is out of my territory, it refers to a concept I never knew there was a word for, until I was 25 or so...a loan-word, perhaps. I will occasionally lapse and say y'all and you guys interchangeably and automatically in any part of the country; usually in a quiet, slurred way.

Quote from: briantroutman on January 09, 2014, 03:50:51 PMBut the real joke is the survey's conclusion that my speech is closest to Phoenix, Glendale, and Tuscon because:

- I don't have a word in my vocabulary for drive-through liquor store
- I would call a road paralleling a highway a "frontage road"

Same answers for me, but maybe a lot of transplants to Arizona answered similarly to you.

corco

An arizona accent is probably the closest thing to a generic american accent because of all the migrants from around the country. Of course, in Tucson at least its not uncommon to interject certain spanish terms in conversation, but whitey in Arizona pretty much has no accent

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.