News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is google location history working for you?

Started by yand, October 09, 2020, 10:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yand

Google location history has not recorded anything for me since mid-august, I feel like I recall an announcement about them shutting it down due to privacy advocates or something? The settings on google maps still says location history is on and I've tried with 2 phones. Kind of bummed that no longer have a passive record of everywhere I've been.
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

ozarkman417

The other day, they asked how my waffle house was, even though I ate at the subway across the street instead, if that counts.

yand

There's a feature called google maps timeline - in the "your timeline" tab/button. When it is turned on and normally functioning, it will record the places you've been - useful especially if you made a lot of unplanned trips/ detours. Many people use timeline to track mileage for business purposes, location history is also useful as evidence.
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

SSOWorld

The location history/timeline does a good job of tracking very long trips.  However there is the privacy thing that some have an issue with.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

doorknob60

yand

Quote from: doorknob60 on October 12, 2020, 01:25:51 PM
Still works for me. Is it still turned on for you? https://myaccount.google.com/yourdata/maps?hl=en&pli=1
Thanks for the link! Location history is turned on in the overview, but I think I found the problem... looks like I might have accidentally deselected my phone from the "devices on this account"... I've selected my phone and am now waiting for new history to show up. If that's what caused it, 2 months of location history gone because of a stupid, stupid error  :pan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.