News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How long were you the newest member of the forum?

Started by idk, October 15, 2020, 01:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Almost 1 1/2 days.

What's really strange is that the user IDs are mostly consecutive except between 6/10/11 and 7/13/13, where they jump around a lot. When the stats were still open, tens of people per day registered between these dates, and before and after, the numbers are what they really should be.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on October 15, 2020, 05:58:44 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 15, 2020, 05:43:16 PM
How do you figure that out?

Go to the 'MEMBERS' area of the site, then sort by 'Date Registered'.  Find the page with your join date, and look at the profile of the one who joined right after you.
Ah, I see that now. I resorted to going through each of the 40 pages and using CTRL+F to search for dates.  :-D

corco

A glorious 7.5 minutes in 2009 on the day the forum was opened for business.

hotdogPi

Quote from: corco on October 15, 2020, 07:13:05 PM

The first post in thread beats the oldest member for some reason. I don't know how it happened.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3
Clinched, plus MA 286

Takumi

A day or so. The next two members after me have never posted, then AsphaltPlanet was after them.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

20 years; 1981-2001 (then replaced by Bugo).  :pan: :rofl:
Actually, 13 hours in January, 2009.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on October 15, 2020, 06:05:24 PM
Almost 1 1/2 days.

What's really strange is that the user IDs are mostly consecutive except between 6/10/11 and 7/13/13, where they jump around a lot. When the stats were still open, tens of people per day registered between these dates, and before and after, the numbers are what they really should be.

The missing numbers are probably spam accounts that were deleted.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dlsterner

Four whole days.  Jumps to six days if you ignore the one-poster and the zero-poster right after me.

corco

Quote from: 1 on October 15, 2020, 07:14:18 PM

The first post in thread beats the oldest member for some reason. I don't know how it happened.

Because V'Ger was the original member of the forum and actually the first forum admin but was so terrible that his account was just deleted (and apparently somehow re-activated with a later forum ID)

Ben114

About one day. I was November 27, 2018, and the next person was November 28.

CtrlAltDel

Assuming my calculations are correct, I was the newest member of the forum for 19 hours, 42 minutes, and 31 seconds.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

Quote from: corco on October 15, 2020, 10:38:50 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 15, 2020, 07:14:18 PM

Because V'Ger was the original member of the forum and actually the first forum admin but was so terrible that his account was just deleted (and apparently somehow re-activated with a later forum ID)

I think he may have deleted his own account on the way out the door. His original account name was "voyager". The details are a little hazy to me because I wasn't an admin until after all this went down. (I volunteered to help get everything back up and running in the aftermath of that.)

Later, we needed to associate all of those posts with an account for some reason (I think because he was trying to come back with a bunch of sockpuppet accounts, maybe, and we wanted a base account to be able to ban?) so we made a new account and called it V'Ger as a Star Trek I reference. For a while it had a stupid-looking Neelix avatar too, but that seems to have disappeared at some point.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

4 Hours, 25 Minutes.

Of active members, it would be 9 days before me, and 13 days after me.

Of interest; nearly half the people that have signed up have never posted.  I've probably done that a few times on other sites to see some information on a forum not available to the public.  Excel assistance forums (which we've talked about in the past) may be a good example of one for me, although my problems has been so unique that eventually I may ask a question.  I guess it's not a unique issue though, and some people do like to lurk just to take in the info presented.

Rothman

Two of us registered at the exact same time -- 9:18:07 PM on May 23, 2009.  The next profile was 5 hours, 15 minutes, 26 seconds after the two of us.  Next active member was five days after us.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

The time between 1/17/09 and now divided by 3954 is 26.04 hours (thank you, WolframAlpha).

Assuming a Poisson distribution:

1 hour or less: 3.8% (probably not accurate because very few people register in the middle of the night)
24 hours or more: 40%
48 hours or more: 16%
72 hours or more: 6.3%

Keep in mind that banned members (there are 43 of them) do not show up in the members list. This includes one-day spammers but not spammers who never had their account activated.
Clinched, plus MA 286

CoreySamson

I joined March 15 of this year at 8:47:50 PM
ari-s-drives joined the next day at 10:12:30 AM, so that's 13 hours, 25 minutes, and 40 seconds.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

oscar

For me, just a day and a half, in late July 2009.

I started off as a lurker, since I hadn't yet given up on the Usenet group misc.transport.road. It took me almost two months after I registered before I made my first post on this forum. So my short-lived "newest member" status was completely irrelevant to me.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on October 16, 2020, 08:23:44 AM
The time between 1/17/09 and now divided by 3954 is 26.04 hours (thank you, WolframAlpha).

Assuming a Poisson distribution:

1 hour or less: 3.8% (probably not accurate because very few people register in the middle of the night)
24 hours or more: 40%
48 hours or more: 16%
72 hours or more: 6.3%

Keep in mind that banned members (there are 43 of them) do not show up in the members list. This includes one-day spammers but not spammers who never had their account activated.

Some of those 43 are probably one person, such as the various iterations of Marf.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Four days. Registered 1-21; flareon at 1-25.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

hbelkins

I'm just trying to decipher how Jeremy managed to trick the forum software into displaying his join date as 9/11/01.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on October 16, 2020, 08:36:27 PM
I'm just trying to decipher how Jeremy managed to trick the forum software into displaying his join date as 9/11/01.

He used to be admin. (Alps is listed as February 2, 2020, which is less obvious now that that date has passed.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Alps

Quote from: 1 on October 16, 2020, 08:50:08 PM

He used to be admin. (Alps is listed as February 2, 2020, which is less obvious now that that date has passed.)
Slightly wrong. I was admin for both of those date changes. I should have gone farther in the future.

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on October 16, 2020, 08:36:27 PMI'm just trying to decipher how Jeremy managed to trick the forum software into displaying his join date as 9/11/01.

Many (perhaps most) forum software packages allow users with administrator rights to specify joining dates that don't correspond to the day and time they actually joined the forum.  Jeremy's join time is 12:00:00 AM (in other words, no match on any of the key times on 9/11).

On this forum, I am user number 336, and joined 2009-03-04 09:56:33.  This was 4 hours, 9 minutes, and 41 seconds before Slinky (user number 337), who has three posts, and almost a full 24 hours after Jimcfs (join time 9:58 AM and change but on the previous day), who has zero posts and has not logged in since 2009.

My average is about 600 posts a year.  When the member roster is sorted by join date and is displayed 100 at a time (the non-mobile default), I am actually not the most prolific on the page on which I appear--that distinction belongs to Sparker, who joined four days after I did and has over 7000 posts.

By my count, we have 191 members with aggregate post count of 1000 or greater, and a bit over 2000 with one post or more.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alps on October 17, 2020, 12:10:51 PM
I should have gone farther in the future.

I suggest Eclipse Day (April 8) 2024.
Clinched, plus MA 286

webny99

Quote from: Alps on October 17, 2020, 12:10:51 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 16, 2020, 08:50:08 PM

Slightly wrong. I was admin for both of those date changes. I should have gone farther in the future.

Although 02/02/2020 actually turned out to roughly correspond with when COVID-19 appeared on the scene...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.