News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

How it started / How it's going

Started by webny99, October 26, 2020, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

If you've spent any time at all on the internet recently, you're probably already aware of this:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/15/style/how-it-started-meme.html
It has provided a bit of fun, hope, positivity, and connectivity in a in a year lacking all of the above.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2020, 02:04:11 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 28, 2020, 01:38:16 PM
How it started: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=0
How it's going: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27400.msg2523352#msg2523352
Apparently, I just don't get it.

I guess I don't particularly understand the significance of those two pages, either.
If it was an actual normal (perhaps even iconic) thread started by an early user, to complement the current fictional thread, that would make more sense.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2020, 03:42:49 PM
How it started: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=0
How it's going: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27400.msg2523352#msg2523352

I guess I don't particularly understand the significance of those two pages, either.
If it was an actual normal (perhaps even iconic) thread started by an early user, to complement the current fictional thread, that would make more sense.
Sorry?

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 28, 2020, 04:09:30 PM

Sorry?

You'll have to explain your post first.
Then I'll decide if I should clarify, or just delete that post entirely  :-D

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2020, 04:15:13 PM

Sorry?

It doesn't matter to me. I don't care if you delete your post. Really, it's not hard to understand. If you don't like it then that's your preference and I respect that.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 28, 2020, 08:17:21 PM
Sorry?

It doesn't matter to me. I don't care if you delete your post. Really, it's not hard to understand. If you don't like it then that's your preference and I respect that.

Well, there was three people that said they didn't get it, but if you don't want to clarify, I respect that, too.

vdeane

You can make that four.  What does a Fritz Owl-ish proposal in Fictional Freeways have to do with a listing of the oldest members?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2020, 08:58:17 PM
Sorry?

Well, there was three people that said they didn't get it, but if you don't want to clarify, I respect that, too.
It's exactly what it looks like. The forum started, then many years later the forum has posts like that. Granted, I have nothing against this forum or any of its members. Idk if anyone was offended/unhappy over this, but if so, I apoligize.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 28, 2020, 09:08:22 PM
Sorry?
It's exactly what it looks like. The forum started, then many years later the forum has posts like that. Granted, I have nothing against this forum or any of its members. Idk if anyone was offended/unhappy over this, but if so, I apoligize.

OK, that's fair. All I was saying is maybe an old original thread from 2009 would've made more sense for "how it started", rather than a listing of the original members.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2020, 10:01:30 PM
Sorry?

OK, that's fair. All I was saying is maybe an old original thread from 2009 would've made more sense for "how it started", rather than a listing of the original members.
Got it.

jeffandnicole

How this thread started: "Let's have some fun!"

How this thread is going:  A shitshow.

vdeane

I suspect the forum has had posts along those lines for longer than you'd suspect.  Look up the Immigration Freedomway at some point (the most amazing thing about it is that part of the proposed route actually did get designated I-2).  And, of course, there was Voyager's Cosmic B'bar.

Actually, some of the current games remind me of the old Forum Games section that existed back in the Voyager era.  Guess the Highway never returned, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on October 29, 2020, 12:55:05 PM
I suspect the forum has had posts along those lines for longer than you'd suspect.  Look up the Immigration Freedomway at some point (the most amazing thing about it is that part of the proposed route actually did get designated I-2).  And, of course, there was Voyager's Cosmic B'bar.

Actually, some of the current games remind me of the old Forum Games section that existed back in the Voyager era.  Guess the Highway never returned, though.

There was quite a lot of stupidity in the first iteration of the forum. When it was rebooted and agentsteel became admin, he deleted most of the games threads because he hated them with a burning passion (most of them were pretty stupid, to be fair). I have no memory what Voyager's Cosmic B'bar was–maybe someone could remind me?–although I remember agentsteel holding it up as an example of the profound stupidity of the type (and so it was deleted with great vigor).

For a while, no games at all were allowed, and would get locked or deleted whenever they were posted. After Alps took over as admin, we started lightening up on it, and on-topic games were allowed again.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Apparently it was for general chatting.  Archive.org doesn't have much, but they do have the main index and board main pages archived.  The OP of each thread can be viewed via the hovertext on each thread name.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090122033957/aaroads.com/forum

And yeah, I had to go all the way back because it didn't take long for Voyager to require people to be signed in to view the forum at all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.