News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New WISDOT guide sign font?

Started by peterj920, March 06, 2018, 10:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

I've found this font on new signs that are posted.  In addition to the numerous exit signs posted without an exit number in the Green Bay Area (Wis 172, Mason St, Wis 57) the Exit 99 sign on I-41 in Fond Du Lac had this font, along with the new Scenic Overlook signs on US 151 north of Fond Du Lac.

Big John

machias

I agree, that looks like Series F. At first I thought someone was stretching Series E, but I think it's Series F in its proper form.

DaBigE

My guess it's a vendor screw-up. Unless WisDOT got a special mod for SignCAD, Series F isn't even an option within the standard program. I haven't heard anything about WisDOT experimenting with new fonts ever since they ended their Clearview experiment years ago.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadman

Quote from: DaBigE on March 07, 2018, 03:51:38 PM
Unless WisDOT got a special mod for SignCAD, Series F isn't even an option within the standard program.

MassDOT has been using SignCAD since 2007, and routinely gets updates to the package.  Every version we've had up to and including the current release has Series F font as an option.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadman on March 07, 2018, 04:46:56 PM
Unless WisDOT got a special mod for SignCAD, Series F isn't even an option within the standard program.
MassDOT has been using SignCAD since 2007, and routinely gets updates to the package.  Every version we've had up to and including the current release has Series F font as an option.

I know that Series F is rarely used, but it seems really strange to me that it wouldn't be included standard.

J N Winkler

The gore sign has vertical strokes that are fatter than horizontal strokes, so my guess is stretched Series E Modified.  I think the direction sign is probably Series F, possibly at smaller-than-normal intercharacter spacing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DaBigE

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 07, 2018, 10:20:48 PM
Quote from: roadman on March 07, 2018, 04:46:56 PM

I know that Series F is rarely used, but it seems really strange to me that it wouldn't be included standard.
To clarify my earlier statement: It's included with the program; however, it is disabled as an option if you're using the WisDOT settings/standards to create a sign.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

ixnay

As long as you can read it (and it's not Clearview)...

ixnay

hotdogPi

Quote from: ixnay on March 20, 2018, 08:01:17 AM
As long as you can read it (and it's not Clearview)...

ixnay

Comic Sans is worse.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.