News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 2, Washington through Minnesota

Started by Alps, January 25, 2013, 10:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adt1982

Quote from: hbelkins on January 28, 2013, 03:02:01 PM
I'd like to take a trip like that sometime.

There was a fellow from Arizona who drove the length of US 70 as it currently exists a few years ago.

About 15 years ago, there was a big Time magazine story where the author drove the length of US 50.

I'd like to do that sometime with two of the long E-W routes that run through Kentucky, US 60 and US 62. I already have all of US 60 from the MO-OK line east to Virginia Beach, and all of US 62 in AR, MO, IL and KY.

I have all of US 60 and US 62 in Illinois! ;)

Sykotyk

Quote from: adt1982 on January 28, 2013, 11:48:02 PM
I'd like to take a trip like that sometime.

There was a fellow from Arizona who drove the length of US 70 as it currently exists a few years ago.

About 15 years ago, there was a big Time magazine story where the author drove the length of US 50.

I'd like to do that sometime with two of the long E-W routes that run through Kentucky, US 60 and US 62. I already have all of US 60 from the MO-OK line east to Virginia Beach, and all of US 62 in AR, MO, IL and KY.

I have all of US 60 and US 62 in Illinois! ;)

Just  a little more difficult than I-95 in DC. :)

oscar

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 26, 2013, 10:20:46 AM
Further east, I would second the recommendation for Glacier National Park.  The buffalo jump country immediately to the south and east is surprisingly scenic, though a visit to the Head-Smashed-In interpretative center is probably best done on the outbound journey to avoid a repeat crossing of the Canadian border and an additional day of travel.  In North Dakota, Theodore Roosevelt National Park is well worth a visit since the badlands (many of which are covered with bentonite deposits which erode into interesting knobby shapes) present interesting photographic possibilities.  It is also one of the few national parks that has an Interstate running through it.  Bison have priority on the park road, and will give you a six AM wakeup call if you choose to camp inside the park (I think you get pit toilets at minimum--maybe flush toilets--but definitely no hot showers, for which you have to find a RV campground in Medora).

The Theodore Roosevelt NP has two units, with the northern unit closer to US 2 than the southern unit on I-94.  The northern unit has some of the badlands found in the southern unit, but I suggest the longer detour needed to do both units.

Across the Canadian border, Head-Smashed-In is a treat, but its story is a bit complicated for postcards sent back home.  It's not too far from Vulcan, Alberta, "Official Star Trek Capital of Canada", with a replica starship on the main highway through town, and a visitor center with lots of ways to blow through your Canadian cash on postcards and other Star Trek-related souvenirs.  The scenic Crowsnest Highway (BC/AB 3 along the border) is also a good way to work your way back east toward Head-Smashed-In and Vulcan, once you're done with US 2 in Washington state.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

agentsteel53

Quote from: oscar on February 01, 2013, 02:26:55 AM

Across the Canadian border, Head-Smashed-In is a treat, but its story is a bit complicated for postcards sent back home. 

"here's where the natives marched buffalo off a cliff.  they then processed them, using every part of the buffalo.  the buffalo's asshole was used as a corsage for politicians to wear."

simple enough!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 01, 2013, 09:08:35 AM
Quote from: oscar on February 01, 2013, 02:26:55 AM

Across the Canadian border, Head-Smashed-In is a treat, but its story is a bit complicated for postcards sent back home. 

"here's where the natives marched buffalo off a cliff.  they then processed them, using every part of the buffalo.  the buffalo's asshole was used as a corsage for politicians to wear."

That doesn't explain the "Head-Smashed-In" part.  (Hint -- it wasn't a buffalo's head.)

The embellishment in your last sentence probably isn't true, though perhaps should be.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

agentsteel53

Quote from: oscar on February 01, 2013, 09:49:25 AM
That doesn't explain the "Head-Smashed-In" part.  (Hint -- it wasn't a buffalo's head.)
did not notice that detail.

QuoteThe embellishment in your last sentence probably isn't true, though perhaps should be.

I've always wondered what they do use the asshole for.

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 01, 2013, 09:52:48 AMI've always wondered what they do use the asshole for.

I never found out, but the penis (typically 36" in length) makes a nice walking stick.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 01, 2013, 10:56:51 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 01, 2013, 09:52:48 AMI've always wondered what they do use the asshole for.

I never found out, but the penis (typically 36" in length) makes a nice walking stick.

I presume it has a baculum?

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 01, 2013, 11:18:36 AMI presume it has a baculum?

I don't think bison have them--horses certainly don't.  I understand the outer covering of the penis (tanned like any other animal hide) is wrapped around wood to make the cane.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wphiii

This is very high on my bucket list. It seems like one of the most geographically diverse of all the long-haul U.S. routes.

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 01, 2013, 11:51:43 AM
I don't think bison have them--horses certainly don't.  I understand the outer covering of the penis (tanned like any other animal hide) is wrapped around wood to make the cane.

gotcha.  I had thought the entire penis itself could be used just as-is.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

You guys are talking about animal genitalia. Doesn't that stuff belong in the "Alanland" thread?  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on February 01, 2013, 01:07:34 PM
You guys are talking about animal genitalia. Doesn't that stuff belong in the "Alanland" thread?  :bigass:

that doesn't make any sense.  Alanland has neither animals, nor genitalia.  (well, except for the annual Annual Animal Genitalia Fest, which is held every Tuesday)

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mdcastle

I forgot about the geographical center, and yeah, go ahead and stop, it'll take 15 minutes tops and is right next to the road, but the monument was built where it was convenient in town and next to the road., not where the actual center is. It's probably impossible to determine with any kind of accuracy, and the supposed center is a few miles away in a farmer's ditch.

Bring some good music for the long drive across the Red River Valley, the most mind-numbingly boring drive I've ever done, although fortunately you'll be driving across the width. It's absolutely flat and is almost exlusively wheat, so even the gentle hills and sunflowers of North Dakota disappear. Of note the surface of eastbound US 2 is different than westbound. That's because of the steady stream of fully loaded trucks from the valley heading east to the port of Duluth tearing up the road.

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on February 01, 2013, 01:07:34 PM
Only when it doesn't.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.