News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Moving to Arizona - Need feedback on trip idea

Started by 707, March 22, 2013, 11:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Around late June and early July, I'll be moving to Arizona with my family. They want to see Crater Lake and Lake Tahoe, so I suggested we take US 97 and US 395 for such an experience. I was also thinking about following whatever is left of US 91 to Las Vegas and taking US 93 down from Vegas to Kingman. From there I suggested using US 66 to get to I-17 taking us to our final destination in Phoenix. I also thought I'd mention that we're bringing our 12 year old tabby cat. So now comes the questions: Is this itinerary a good idea? Also, does anyone know of any hotel chains that allow pets?

corco

I can definitely get hotel suggestions in Nevada or Arizona if you know where you want to spend the night- my folks have stayed in just about every reasonably populated town in Northern AZ/Nevada with pets. I know they typically stay at Holiday Inn Expresses and Best Westerns, and in particular have had great luck re:pets with the HIE in North Las Vegas up by Nellis.

I'd think that's a great itinerary. 91 is going to be a bit out of the way, but you knew that. I'd probably forgo that detour and cut over to US-95 from Bishop and then maybe try to work southern Utah in to the trip a little bit (which, I guess would mean forgoing Hoover Dam, so however you weigh one over the other I guess). But yeah, that should still be quite fun.

Alps

The part of old 66 that starts out as AZ 66 is definitely worth the drive. It gets a bit forgettable after Seligman, but definitely do the drive through Williams. After that, old 66 is Deer Park Rd. in the forest. It's a REALLY AWESOME drive, but it's unpaved. (Well-graded red dirt, no potholes that I recall, some great scenery in the distance and right up against the road.) Check my site (www.alpsroads.net/roads/az/us_66) and see what you think.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.