News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Longest of Anything

Started by roadman65, July 15, 2013, 01:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

awesome stuff; thank you for hunting all those down!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Perfxion

Quote from: dgolub on July 22, 2013, 06:57:51 PM
Long Island

Longest interstate: I-495 (the only one)

I-495 might be the longest, but 278, 678, and 295 are all in Long Island as well. Kings and Queens County do count since they are on the island.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

Kacie Jane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 23, 2013, 12:32:33 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 23, 2013, 03:57:28 AM

Shortest collapsed/destroyed bridge: I-5 Skagit River Bridge - 1,112 feet

incorrect.  I once built a bridge across a small rivulet of water using two rocks and a stick.  it immediately collapsed because I didn't do a very good job of it.  it was maybe 6 inches long.
Ah, but Jake, was your stick bridge in the state of Washington?

In all seriousness, 1,112 feet is the length of the entire bridge. Only a single span measuring 160 feet collapsed. But I'd bet you could find a still smaller bridge that has been abandoned to collapse (my hunch says on the Olympic Peninsula, but don't ask me why). Perhaps not on the state highway system though?

kphoger

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 24, 2013, 02:44:22 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 23, 2013, 12:32:33 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 23, 2013, 03:57:28 AM

Shortest collapsed/destroyed bridge: I-5 Skagit River Bridge - 1,112 feet

incorrect.  I once built a bridge across a small rivulet of water using two rocks and a stick.  it immediately collapsed because I didn't do a very good job of it.  it was maybe 6 inches long.

In all seriousness, 1,112 feet is the length of the entire bridge. Only a single span measuring 160 feet collapsed. But I'd bet you could find a still smaller bridge that has been abandoned to collapse (my hunch says on the Olympic Peninsula, but don't ask me why). Perhaps not on the state highway system though?

Or, in other words:   I did not research any other bridge collapses before posting.   :bigass:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wxfree

Here are some categories that interest me:
Longest stretch of highway across a single county: in Texas, I-10 across Pecos County, 100 miles
Longest highway entirely in one county: in Texas, SH 54 in Culberson County, 55 miles
Longest stretch of highway between two consecutive highway intersections: in Texas, SH 118 between US 67/90 and FM 170, 78 miles
Longest stretch of Interstate between two consecutive Interstate intersections (in one state): in Texas, I-20 between I-10 and I-30, 421 miles
Longest stretch of Interstate between two consecutive Interstate intersections regardless of state lines: Anyone?
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Quillz

For the latter, there is almost 500 miles between I-5's junctions with I-80 (Sacramento) and I-84 (Portland). But if you include auxiliary connections, then it's much less, as there is a (one-way) connection with I-505, I-105 in Eugene and I-205 in Portland.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 24, 2013, 02:44:22 PM

actually, yes.  in Bellingham down by the beach. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

getemngo

Quote from: wxfree on July 24, 2013, 06:37:26 PM
Longest stretch of Interstate between two consecutive Interstate intersections regardless of state lines: Anyone?

Hmm... I believe it's I-80 between I-580 in Reno and I-215 in Salt Lake City. 512 miles. That's what the very outdated Roadfan FAQ says. Runner-up would probably be I-70 between I-15 in Utah and I-76 in Denver, 501 miles.

But if we're only counting signed Interstates, I-94 has 597 miles between I-90 in Billings and I-29 in Fargo (ignoring unsigned I-194 in Bismarck).

If we were only counting 2dis, I-80 would win, because it's 646 miles between I-5 in Sacramento and I-15 in SLC. That's more than Quillz's guess, which is "only" 575 miles.
~ Sam from Michigan

roadman65

I believe that I-70 in Utah holds the record on an interstate with 108 miles of interchanges with no Services at interchanges on the interstate system.

US 77 in Kenedy County, Texas may not be the longest stretch of highway (non freeway) within a single county without a stop light or any kind of services, but it is sort of a longest in a sense.  How much do you find a single county that has one main road, no major cities, a very small population, and no businesses and very primitive.  When I-69E (oh I hate that designation) gets completed, the county's only major route of transit will be an interstate with no other non freeways as main roads.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wxfree

Quote from: roadman65 on July 26, 2013, 09:03:25 AM
I believe that I-70 in Utah holds the record on an interstate with 108 miles of interchanges with no Services at interchanges on the interstate system.

US 77 in Kenedy County, Texas may not be the longest stretch of highway (non freeway) within a single county without a stop light or any kind of services, but it is sort of a longest in a sense.  How much do you find a single county that has one main road, no major cities, a very small population, and no businesses and very primitive.  When I-69E (oh I hate that designation) gets completed, the county's only major route of transit will be an interstate with no other non freeways as main roads.

I agree about US 77 in Kenedy County.  I've never been there, but that's a stretch of road I want to drive some day.  I like desolate areas and have seen a lot in west Texas.  Such a long stretch of road without any public through road intersections is intriguing to me.  I remember some years back a hurricane hit Kenedy County and caused very little damage because there was nothing there to damage.  I remember it being reported that this storm hit the least developed county on the entire Atlantic basin coast.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.