News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SidS1045 on January 03, 2015, 10:52:49 PM
Quote from: storm2k on January 03, 2015, 09:44:19 AM
So NJ.com has a gallery about old snow storms in NJ, and it includes this gem of a Parkway sign:

It looks like the CR-520 shield was attached after the fact. Wonder if it's covering a different shield.

I took that exit many times to visit my aunt, uncle and cousins in Little Silver.  I believe the original shield was a plain black-on-white rectangle:

MONMOUTH
  COUNTY

Both words on top?  Bergen had/has a square with

BERGEN
COUNTY

(small words above and below large numerals)

roadman65

All the blue pentagon county route shields were added slowly from the 70's to the 80's.  I remember when the white squares were used with the county names inside the independent shields and just plain on freeway guides except for Morris County which already had the present day shields in place as far as I can remember.   I am guessing that Morris was the first to implement them because as a kid visiting my aunt in Parsippany, NJ I remember seeing them while all the other counties had the white ones, which I thought was cool.  It was like Morris had their own neat little shields until slowly statewide I seen them pop up more and more.

In fact, Middlessex County did not start adding them until the very late 80's along their road system.  I was living in Fords, NJ when I seen them first go up on CR 514 and then CR 501 (at least from King George Road and westward) did not have them east of Downtown Fords, but did along Amboy Avenue, Middlessex Avenue (in Metuchen) and along New Durham Road.  I lived there from 1987 to 1990, so it goes to show how late NJ counties were in signing their own state secondary roads.  I believe Union was even after that as I did not see blue signs go up until after I moved here  to Florida except at some intersections in some bedroom communities when I used to travel to work up in the hills of Watchung. 

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SidS1045

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 05, 2015, 10:14:05 PM

Quote from: SidS1045 on January 03, 2015, 10:52:49 PM
Quote from: storm2k on January 03, 2015, 09:44:19 AM
So NJ.com has a gallery about old snow storms in NJ, and it includes this gem of a Parkway sign:

It looks like the CR-520 shield was attached after the fact. Wonder if it's covering a different shield.

I took that exit many times to visit my aunt, uncle and cousins in Little Silver.  I believe the original shield was a plain black-on-white rectangle:

MONMOUTH
  COUNTY

Both words on top?  Bergen had/has a square with

BERGEN
COUNTY

(small words above and below large numerals)

It very well could be the way you remember it.  It was many, many moons ago.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Zeffy

Old-style County Routes were signed like so (at least in Somerset County):

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Zeffy on January 07, 2015, 10:34:18 AM
I miss those old county route signs.  Are there any still around in NJ? 

NE2

Also in Monmouth County:

from http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/cr_13/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadrunner75

storm2k

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on January 07, 2015, 01:03:15 PM
I thought that first CR sign was a really old photo - but sure enough:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.647106,-74.640309&spn=0.000004,0.002575&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.647034,-74.640724&panoid=ce0bVOFfyYRyveV2PTEbZA&cbp=12,166.54,,0,6.51
Good to see some still exist.

Unfortunately, I think that gem is gone now, victim to construction to the buildings directly to the right of the original sign.

There used to be an old black and white CR-527 shield on the offramp from Exit 10 from 287 NB. I think that one met its maker as well, however.

Alps

Still several on NJ 41 where it's signed as CR 573 (Kings Hwy.).

storm2k

They put up new signage for Exit 129 SB and in spite of the official designations found on this drawing, the pull through guide signs still use Shore Points as the control city. I'll try to grab a picture or two if I can at some point.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on January 07, 2015, 10:52:42 AM
I miss those old county route signs.  Are there any still around in NJ?

Here's another, in Hackensack.  There are a lot of these in Bergen, particularly on the non-500 routes.

roadman65

I still see Bergen County still mounts the truss style mast arms up side down at some of their maintained signals.

Sheryl Crowe

hurricanehink

The exit sign for Exit 41 (future Jimmy Leeds Rd) is up but covered. Red lights at that exit are in place but also covered. Should be any week now that the exit is open, so we don't have to use a service plaza to get to the road.

roadman65

How is the Exit 44 ramps coming along?

Also about Shore Points verses Toms River thing we should be grateful that the NJTA is using any control city as for years (well  anyway elsewhere on the GSP) there were no control cities listed.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on January 22, 2015, 11:38:14 AM
Also about Shore Points verses Toms River thing we should be grateful that the NJTA is using any control city as for years (well  anyway elsewhere on the GSP) there were no control cities listed.

Actually the pullthroughs at 129 listed Shore Points and the Cape May Ferry as control cities for at least 21 or 22 years, from whenever they replaced the signs along that stretch, which was when they put in those first generation VMS's that used the mechanical dots to display messages. I'm not old enough to concretely remember what was there before, but I'm pretty sure there was some designation for Shore Points there before as well.

J Route Z

I heard that exit 40 would become a full interchange, it's needed since US 30 is a major artery to and from Atlantic City and such. But it's up to the residents of the community.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on January 22, 2015, 05:43:55 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 22, 2015, 11:38:14 AM

Actually the pullthroughs at 129 listed Shore Points and the Cape May Ferry as control cities for at least 21 or 22 years, from whenever they replaced the signs along that stretch, which was when they put in those first generation VMS's that used the mechanical dots to display messages. I'm not old enough to concretely remember what was there before, but I'm pretty sure there was some designation for Shore Points there before as well.
That is why I said elsewhere.  Shore Points and the Cape May Ferry have always been there as long as I can remember anyway.  I know the Tangle signs that were erected when the whole area between Exits 127 and 129 was redone to accommodate NJ 440 and the present day Exit 11 back in the early 70's.  However, pull through signing elsewhere on the Parkway always said either PARKWAY NORTH or PARKWAY SOUTH.  That always was an exception and not the norm.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Has the new signs at Exits 131 and 140 yet been unveiled?

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: roadman65 on January 27, 2015, 08:43:49 PM

As of a week and a half ago, no.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 27, 2015, 10:22:00 PM

Some of them are up at 131, but the exit numbers are covered, and the old signs remain behind the new ones. The rest are close by, so it won't be too long. Not sure what the wait is. 140, other than a covered gore sign, I haven't seen anything new.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Alps on January 27, 2015, 11:10:03 PM

Some of them are up at 131, but the exit numbers are covered, and the old signs remain behind the new ones. The rest are close by, so it won't be too long. Not sure what the wait is. 140, other than a covered gore sign, I haven't seen anything new.

He said unveiled. When I was there earlier this month, There was an Exit 132 sign on the side of an Exit 131A ramp that was uncovered. Wish I had a chance to get a shot.
Adam Seth Moss

storm2k

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 27, 2015, 11:31:27 PM

He said unveiled. When I was there earlier this month, There was an Exit 132 sign on the side of an Exit 131A ramp that was uncovered. Wish I had a chance to get a shot.

It's still there. Not sure what the wait is on getting the rest of the signs up. Either the cold weather slowed them down or they're waiting on some more signs to be manufactured. They did get the exit point sign up for the future 132 northbound. It's behind the old school button copy sign. No longer says Iselin on it, just Rahway and Metuchen. And it's higher up than the existing sign.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on January 28, 2015, 11:39:33 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 27, 2015, 11:31:27 PM

It's still there. Not sure what the wait is on getting the rest of the signs up. Either the cold weather slowed them down or they're waiting on some more signs to be manufactured. They did get the exit point sign up for the future 132 northbound. It's behind the old school button copy sign. No longer says Iselin on it, just Rahway and Metuchen. And it's higher up than the existing sign.
Iselin isn't a thing.

bzakharin

Quote from: Alps on January 29, 2015, 12:13:33 AM
Iselin isn't a thing.
I beg to differ. More than half of the business park in the area has Iselin addresses including where I used to work. Also Microsoft has its New Jersey office is in Iselin.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: bzakharin on January 29, 2015, 02:57:27 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 29, 2015, 12:13:33 AM
Iselin isn't a thing.
I beg to differ. More than half of the business park in the area has Iselin addresses including where I used to work. Also Microsoft has its New Jersey office is in Iselin.

The post office will use the smallest of hamlets to have a location.

Yes, Iselin is not a municipality, but a section of Woodbridge. I agree though that Iselin is a census-designated place with a population in the mid-18,000s (18,695). (Like its sister communities: Avenel (17,011), Fords (15,187), Colonia (17,795)). What justification does Iselin have to be on the BGS if the other three do not, and you can get to Colonia easily from Exit 131 (to be 132)?

However, it is not a municipality and is not required to be put on the sign. Argument can also be made to the fact that Winfield Park, a section of Winfield Township, has been removed from Exit 136.
Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.