News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sercamaro

Exit 88 Stuff:

Rte 70 Eastbound:  the former ramp to Parkway North has been reopened. 
Rte 70 Westbound:   The entrance to parkway north at Shorrock St now has a BGS.  Parkway North Toll - Control City is Woodbridge.
"Goalies Don't Smile" -- Ken Dryden

J Route Z

Nice pictures. They still have the old exit 138 sign, just 100 yards after the new signs. Wonder if that will be removed since it's redundant.

roadman65

Nice photos.  Although I think they should follow Caltrans and use one panel for upcoming exits instead of three exits on separate panels spread across the roadway. 

I lived in NJ half of my life and liked that they had two exits listed on a sign as here in Florida they did away with that and now have one exit without the next exit advance guide on the same gantry. 

Also I liked how NJDOT always had at least three guide signs per exit.  Most states use only two being the one mile advanced and the at exit either arrow or former NEXT RIGHT.  However the Garden State used one mile, NEXT RIGHT, and at exit.  The NEXT RIGHT is now replaced with one quarter mile, but nonetheless still three.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: J Route Z on May 10, 2015, 11:44:59 AM
Nice pictures. They still have the old exit 138 sign, just 100 yards after the new signs. Wonder if that will be removed since it's redundant.

It will be eventually. They've been taking down all the old signs after the new ones go up.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: sercamaro on May 10, 2015, 09:01:20 AM
Exit 88 Stuff:

Rte 70 Eastbound:  the former ramp to Parkway North has been reopened. 
Rte 70 Westbound:   The entrance to parkway north at Shorrock St now has a BGS.  Parkway North Toll - Control City is Woodbridge.
I just noticed the on-ramp has reopened a few days ago - I thought it was just construction traffic at first, but sure enough there are cars running down the C/D lanes.  Just waiting for the southbound on/off to open, which will save a lot of time for me, and for the line of cars jammed up at 90 every morning.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J Route Z on May 10, 2015, 11:44:59 AM

It'll be removed.  Contractors rarely install and remove signage at the same time. 

roadman65

I did notice that for some time now the Exit 140 ramp going NB was with the typical Parkway gantry.  I imagine that one was not replaced completely then, but just had its panel replaced then.

Also is "Morristown" still the control city for NJ 82 West at former SB Exit 140?

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Some more pictures, SB near 130 and 129, including the new Turnpike signs on the C-D road.

note they haven't taken the older signs from 1994 down yet. not sure why.

raritan center gets a mention here. it's slowly popped up on njdot signs in the tangle over the years, now it's in njta signs too.

PHLBOS

Quote from: storm2k on May 15, 2015, 01:11:34 AM
note they haven't taken the older signs from 1994 down yet. not sure why.
Is that a photo distortion or did the lower-part of the new Exit 129 BGS already get hit? 

Is that why the old gantry & BGS' are still up?  *sarcasm*
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Yep, that looks like a hit there:

Lesson learned: Don't stick a 2x4x16 vertically out your moonroof!  (I don't know how it actually happened)

roadman65

I like the "y" on one of the signs as it is above the other letters in "New York City."  Someone really goofed up on that one.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Interesting how they continued to use Shore Points as a control city for the Parkway southbound. To be fair, I'm not sure what control city I'd use since there's a lot of possibilities along the New Jersey Shore.

Also, shouldn't there be a TOLL banner next to the I-95 and NJTP shields since it's a toll road? Or does it not matter because you're already on a toll road?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

02 Park Ave

These exits are on the free sector of the Parkway.
C-o-H

Zeffy

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on May 15, 2015, 11:00:09 AM

My bad, I thought that started a bit more northward. Even then, there should definitely be a TOLL banner next to the shields if it's on a "free" road.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on May 15, 2015, 11:26:42 AM

My bad, I thought that started a bit more northward. Even then, there should definitely be a TOLL banner next to the shields if it's on a "free" road.

Nope, you're right - there should be a 'Toll' banner next to Turnpike/95. 

As far as the Parkway goes, there should be a 'Toll' banner on all entrance ramps as well, regardless if you'll be on a free or tolled stretch.   Technically, the Parkway could add tolls at any time, which they have done to some ramps.  The Parkway Commission (I don't think it was NJTA at the time) had said long ago they would work on the Interchange 9/10/11 project earlier if they were permitted to put tolls on the ramps. When Cape May County said no, the Parkway said no problem, but you're going to have to wait until we can fund the project.

roadman65

I thought too, when i first saw these, that a yellow TOLL plate should be used.  Then I remembered that here in Florida they do not use them on the Florida Turnpike signs from US 17, 92, and 441 in Orlando either.

This is the FREE section of the Parkway so it should be marked as a toll route.

At least they got rid of the redundant "NJ Turnpike" text in favor of control cities though.  One milestone they came about.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

Quote from: Zeffy on May 15, 2015, 10:37:10 AM
Interesting how they continued to use Shore Points as a control city for the Parkway southbound. To be fair, I'm not sure what control city I'd use since there's a lot of possibilities along the New Jersey Shore.

Also, shouldn't there be a TOLL banner next to the I-95 and NJTP shields since it's a toll road? Or does it not matter because you're already on a toll road?

Control city ideas:

NB: New York City (until I-95 interchange); Clifton; Albany, NY
SB: Clifton; Woodbridge; Atlantic City; Cape May

Incidentally, the control city for the SB NJTP  should be Trenton instead of Camden at the point where the Parkway crosses the NJTP.

odditude

Quote from: mrsman on May 15, 2015, 03:17:31 PM
Incidentally, the control city for the SB NJTP  should be Trenton instead of Camden at the point where the Parkway crosses the NJTP.
i disagree - traffic to Trenton is better served by US 1.

roadman65

It always was both Trenton and New Brunswick before the NB US 1 ramp opened, but later added Newark and dropped New Brunswick in favor of Trenton.  Trenton is better served by US 1 no doubtingly.  However, Newark for US 1 north is dumb  considering you just left there already.   

I think Woodbridge should be used for US 1 North and on Exit 129, "Staten Island" should be added where Woodbridge is now.

As far as "Shore Points" goes, probably both "Toms River" and "Atlantic City" should be used as pull through on the 129 pull through.

Sheryl Crowe

J Route Z

Agree with you on that one.

TXtoNJ

I wonder if they'll change "Camden" to "Philadelphia" once the 95-PA Turnpike interchange is completed.

storm2k

The entire overall Parkway is considered a Toll Road. The NJTA owns this segment of roadway, they have since 1987. They're just not allowed to put up ramp tolls in this section. Therefore, the Toll banner isn't really needed.

SignBridge

Seems like no matter how they set the signs up, it's always a compromise at these complex interchanges with multiple routes and destinations. I agree that Staten Island should be shown for Exit-129. But those signs at Exit-129 are already overloaded with too many shields and destinations to be read easily at highway speed. In fact the MUTCD recommends a maximum of only 3 destinations in any sign display and these signs far exceed that by necessity. And although I think the Toll banner should be used it would only add to the visual complexity of this series of signs.

And I agree that the GS Parkway would do better to show Toms River/Atlantic City/Cape May instead of Shore Points.

No easy solutions to any of these complex sign issues.

NJRoadfan

The replacement for this sign is sitting on the side of the road:

The new sign is almost right. The exit for New Brunswick Ave. is now signed for NJ-440 NORTH... the left sign.... NJ-440 WEST. Oops.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: mrsman on May 15, 2015, 03:17:31 PM
Control city ideas:

NB: New York City (until I-95 interchange); Clifton; Albany, NY
SB: Clifton; Woodbridge; Atlantic City; Cape May

Control City Reality (direct from NJTA)
Albany (NB only)
Paterson
Newark
Woodbridge
Toms River
Atlantic City

Older signs have used Asbury Park (at the local-express split), and there is at least one sign showing Cape May southbound in the vicinity of US-40/322.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.