News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

They are working on it. Expect Exit 38-38A to be fixed within the year when construction is complete in the area. The other two will be fixed with the next sign replacement contract.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 11, 2015, 03:22:54 PM
They are working on it. Expect Exit 38-38A to be fixed within the year when construction is complete in the area. The other two will be fixed with the next sign replacement contract.
I was surprised that 98 didn't get suffixed when they recently replaced the signs there as part of the 83-100 work.  It's really not much different than the new 89A/B/C and the 91A/B SB conversion (when complete) with the C/D lanes at 98 (NB at least).  I would think it would've been an easier sell splitting an existing non-suffixed exit than changing suffixes on already established exits with the effect on businesses and GPS units.

Don'tKnowYet

There are no suffixes at 98 because there is no entry or re-entry to the south. 98 northbound should entertain suffixes.

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 11, 2015, 11:19:11 AM
I just thought of this, the parkway has strange exit numbers at some places. I believe there is three examples:

Exits 38-38A rather than Exits 38A-B
Exits 82-82A rather than Exits 82A-B
Exits 100-100A-100B rather than Exits 100A-100B-100C

Why haven't these been fixed yet?

If i remember correctly, 82 isn't in any program.  I don't think it will address the suffixes anytime soon.

NJRoadfan

They didn't bother to suffix Exit 129 S/B or 127 N/B, both of which could have used it.

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 11, 2015, 10:17:34 PM
They didn't bother to suffix Exit 129 S/B or 127 N/B, both of which could have used it.

Again, there is no entry or re-entry at 127 or 129 meaning that a C-D road doesn't exist--these ramps don't "collect" so there is only one exit and it departs from the mainline.  In a C-D road, the departure from the system is from the C-D road, not the mainline.  I think that's the easiest way to explain it.

roadman65

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on November 12, 2015, 07:48:52 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 11, 2015, 10:17:34 PM

Again, there is no entry or re-entry at 127 or 129 meaning that a C-D road doesn't exist--these ramps don't "collect" so there is only one exit and it departs from the mainline.  In a C-D road, the departure from the system is from the C-D road, not the mainline.  I think that's the easiest way to explain it.

Not necessarily, it depends on the DOT and the politics of the designer.  I have seem some A-B-C suffixes on split ramps, look at the new SB Exit for I-87 on the Cross Bronx for one.  Then look at the FL 417 and World Drive interchange in Celebration, FL on I-4.  It has long C/D roads and yet has only the one number for the ramp to the C/D road.  Exit 62 is for the C/D system for both World Drive and FL 417 (E Bound Only) yet the C/D road is very long.  In fact in the sequential numbering days both ramps to World Drive had Exits 24 C & D, and Exit 24 E was for the departure of FL 417 from the C/D road.

Also the C/D is not used everywhere as the NJTA for the NJ 70 and CR 528 exits is called a Service Road where most would call it a C/D roadway.  In fact in many places a service road is an off freeway road that sits next to the freeway itself graded separate from the super highway.

Its all politics!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Union,+NJ/@40.6983571,-74.2533771,382m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c3ad9f6f9daa9b:0x570322a196f054c!6m1!1e1
I was noticing that the Westbound exit ramp to Vauxhall Road in Union, NJ is very close to the Northbound GSP ramp.  As many of you already know, that is who live in North Jersey, that to access the GSP NB from US 22 WB you have to exit on Vauxhall Road and then turn right briefly on Vauxhall itself to then turn into the Parkway's northbound ramp.

To me there is nothing in between the US 22 WB off ramp to Vauxhall Road and the Parkway North Ramp from Vauxhall Road but green area.  I would figure by now that either the NJTA or NJDOT would build a ramp between the two ramps to eliminate you having to use Vauxhall Road to make the connection.

I guess no one cannot figure out that one simple little thing they could do to make US 22 Westbound have an almost direct ramp to the Parkway Northbound.

Sheryl Crowe

NJ

Does anyone know why there are lack of signs saying how many miles left for certain detonations, such as Atlantic City and Cape May?

NE2

Quote from: NJ on November 25, 2015, 09:49:42 PM
Does anyone know why there are lack of signs saying how many miles left for certain detonations, such as Atlantic City and Cape May?
Because if we don't sign them the terrorists won't blow them up.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Don'tKnowYet

Thre's one southbound at Exit 80.

NJ

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on November 26, 2015, 08:31:02 AM

Image?

dgolub

I'd guess because it's the New Jersey Turnpike Authority instead of NJDOT that maintains the parkway, and they have traditionally done their own thing as far as signage goes.  I don't believe that there are many of them on the turnpike either.  We might start seeing more of them as they go MUTCD.

NJ

When will they fully go MUTCD?

Quote from: dgolub on November 26, 2015, 10:20:40 AM

I'd guess because it's the New Jersey Turnpike Authority instead of NJDOT that maintains the parkway, and they have traditionally done their own thing as far as signage goes.  I don't believe that there are many of them on the turnpike either.  We might start seeing more of them as they go MUTCD.

hurricanehink

Just drove past exit 38/37 (going south from ACE), and there was a sign saying "New Traffic Pattern Dec. 3" I'm guessing this is when the traffic from ACE east goes onto a new ramp to GSP south.

roadman65

Detonations?  Are they planning to blow up Atlantic City and Cape May?

Yes, I know the typo.  Done it many of times myself.  The Parkway has started at Exit 80 already and the CR 502 exit in Bergen County.  I do not know if they progressed since then though.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJ on November 26, 2015, 11:36:28 AM

If they just go on a normal sign replacement cycle, probably around 2035 or so.

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: NJ on November 26, 2015, 08:43:52 AM
Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on November 26, 2015, 08:31:02 AM

Image?

There's a D2-3 sign northbound after Exit 168 and there is a D2-3 sign northbound somewhere around the John Fenwick Service Area.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 26, 2015, 01:19:52 PM

That is why it took so long to replace the guide signs at Exits 140 & 140 A as they only got replaced in the mid 1990's with the overhead at Exit 140 until a few years ago.

Then look how long it took Exit 82 to get all of its overheads.  Some started in the early 90's while the rest took up until the late 90's or early 00's.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: roadman65 on November 26, 2015, 10:00:51 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 26, 2015, 01:19:52 PM

That is why it took so long to replace the guide signs at Exits 140 & 140 A as they only got replaced in the mid 1990's with the overhead at Exit 140 until a few years ago.

Then look how long it took Exit 82 to get all of its overheads.  Some started in the early 90's while the rest took up until the late 90's or early 00's.
They don't need to wait for replacement cycles to put up distance signs, though. Speaking of which, I don't recall seeing distance signs on NJ interstates. I've seen them on US and some state routes, though.

odditude

Quote from: bzakharin on November 30, 2015, 10:41:04 AM
Speaking of which, I don't recall seeing distance signs on NJ interstates. I've seen them on US and some state routes, though.
they are present on I-95(M), I-195, and I-295. i can't speak for north jersey.

NJRoadfan

They sparingly post them, usually at major junctions. Occasionally you will get a single destination distance sign with the true terminus of the route on it (ex: Verona for NJ-23 south).

PHLBOS

Quote from: storm2k on August 05, 2015, 09:46:13 PM
Finally had a chance to go by 140 yesterday to see the new signs. It's now 140B-A southbound. 140A is now 140B and 140 is now 140A. It looks like reused one of the 1980 cantilevers from the sign replacements to put up a sign for 140A. Will try to grab pictures at some point.
Having just driven by there last night en route home from Thanksgiving vacation; I'm surprised that those exits didn't get renumbered as Exits 141B-A, for the simple reason that MM 141 is located south of those exit ramps.  IMHO, if NJTPA is going to go through the trouble & expense to change some of its exit numbers anyway; why not have them correctly match or be in better synch with the mile markers?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 30, 2015, 05:36:15 PM
Quote from: storm2k on August 05, 2015, 09:46:13 PM
Finally had a chance to go by 140 yesterday to see the new signs. It's now 140B-A southbound. 140A is now 140B and 140 is now 140A. It looks like reused one of the 1980 cantilevers from the sign replacements to put up a sign for 140A. Will try to grab pictures at some point.
Having just driven by there last night en route home from Thanksgiving vacation; I'm surprised that those exits didn't get renumbered as Exits 141B-A, for the simple reason that MM 141 is located south of those exit ramps.  IMHO, if NJTPA is going to go through the trouble & expense to change some of its exit numbers anyway; why not have them correctly match or be in better synch with the mile markers?

Is it cost effective to disrupt every personal and business reference to the exit to make it one mile more accurate?

noelbotevera

I just thought about this: Why is the GSP not widened to 6 lanes total south of the Great Egg Harbor bridge? That section handles the shore traffic, and except for north of I-78, all of the Parkway is 6 lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.