News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Looks like they're finally getting ready to open the new on-ramp from the AC Expressway East onto Parkway South (Exit 7S) and the new separate Exit 37 ramps from that on-ramp and the Parkway mainline in time for the July 4 weekend. Last I heard, it was planned for "a week or so after Memorial Day", but now VMSs went up warning of exit closures at all of the above exit ramps starting June 26.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on June 13, 2016, 08:24:03 PM
Also, fot 156 NB, it doesn't mention 46 anymore, just NJ-20 NB and Elmwood Park for a control city.
Well considering that Exit 157 less than one mile ahead also connects to the same route, it makes sense to do that.    Just keep 156 for NJ 20 traffic as well as those for CR 507. 

Maryland did something similar years back on the Harbor Tunnel Thruway with MD2.  The two exits that accessed the SB MD 2 had only one signed for it, as the one signed accessed the state route further down the line while the first one served the city of Brooklyn, MD.  So for traffic to MD 2 South, just the Glen Burnie Bypass was signed to allow the MD 2 exit proper be used for local traffic only.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on June 13, 2016, 08:24:03 PM
Also, fot 156 NB, it doesn't mention 46 anymore, just NJ-20 NB and Elmwood Park for a control city.
Well considering that Exit 157 less than one mile ahead also connects to the same route, it makes sense to do that.    Just keep 156 for NJ 20 traffic as well as those for CR 507. 

Maryland did something similar years back on the Harbor Tunnel Thruway with MD2.  The two exits that accessed the SB MD 2 had only one signed for it, as the one signed accessed the state route further down the line while the first one served the city of Brooklyn, MD.  So for traffic to MD 2 South, just the Glen Burnie Bypass was signed to allow the MD 2 exit proper be used for local traffic only.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: bzakharin on June 14, 2016, 09:57:50 AM
Looks like they're finally getting ready to open the new on-ramp from the AC Expressway East onto Parkway South (Exit 7S) and the new separate Exit 37 ramps from that on-ramp and the Parkway mainline in time for the July 4 weekend. Last I heard, it was planned for "a week or so after Memorial Day", but now VMSs went up warning of exit closures at all of the above exit ramps starting June 26.
The new ramp is now open. After you leave the Expressway, you are routed onto a new three-lane ramp. The new BGS tells you that the right lane leads to Exit 37 (although that designation is tacked on with a temporary orange sign; presumably it will not be called that since you never enter the Parkway proper anymore) while the left two lanes enter the GS Parkway just ahead of the old Exit 37 ramp (which is still there, but is blocked off with an "exit closed" sign). Presumably the new main line Exit 37 which leaves the GSP and passes under the new ramp is now open as well. I will probably know for sure this afternoon.

Edit: yes, it's open

NJRoadfan

Exit 156 is pretty dangerous to actually use for NJ-20 these days. The ramp has a stop sign at the end and traffic on US-46 East and coming off of NJ-21 make darting across 3 lanes to NJ-20 a "fun and exciting" experience. I never take it, preferring to take Exit 154 instead. Honestly, that ramp should be closed. There is no way to add an acceleration lane due to the bridge that is right there.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZhTqdJRpMT12

NJRoadfan

Despite the NJTA documents saying otherwise, a pullthru using the control city of "Cape May" has appeared at the Atlantic City Expressway on the GSP southbound. All sign replacements in Cape May County have been finished. Exit 4A-B has been switched to comply with MUTCD requirements. Further north, Exit 100 will be next to get corrections judging by covered up signs. Nothing at Exit 82 yet.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 02, 2016, 08:49:05 PM
Despite the NJTA documents saying otherwise, a pullthru using the control city of "Cape May" has appeared at the Atlantic City Expressway on the GSP southbound. All sign replacements in Cape May County have been finished. Exit 4A-B has been switched to comply with MUTCD requirements. Further north, Exit 100 will be next to get corrections judging by covered up signs. Nothing at Exit 82 yet.
NJTA documents do not say otherwise. They say to consult in case of destinations being needed. Cape May is what you will ever see, but the reason is that there are no pull-through signs beyond that point.

roadman65

In a way its good to see pull throughs on the GSP wherever they are as the GSP for years was not that into having them and if so it was always "PARKWAY NORTH" or "PARKWAY SOUTH" or the Shore Points and Cape May Ferry sign in Woodbridge.  There even were yellow "THRU TRAFFIC" signs in a few places.

That Exit 4A and 4B thing always got me as A was the NB Exit and B was for Wildwood (or Wildwoods) totally opposite of what it should be.  Then again FL did it on FL 528 at Exit 11 Westbound before the Airport flyover was added and on I-275 at Dale Mabry during the sequential number days with A closer to the north and B closer to the south.

Glad its changed as well as the much needed overheads at SB Exit 140 instead of those gore guides that were so out of date and substandard for a freeway of its width.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: storm2k on June 12, 2016, 10:13:54 PM
Signage update: they're making a lot of progress (and quickly) north of 142. SB, it looks like 143 will be renumbered to 143C and they are going to reverse 143B and 143A so they're in the correct order.

This is indeed what has happened. Also, 143C (former 143) is now signed as "To NJ-124/Irvington" instead of Springfield Ave/Irvington. They have removed street names from every sign on the Irvington/Newark/E Orange section (between Union and Essex tolls) except for 144, which is S. Orange Ave, not for Newark or Vailsburg or South Orange.

roadman65

How is Lyons Avenue signed now?  Just Maplewood and Hillside I presume?  Being they no longer like using 600 series routes anymore, hence the removal of them in Ocean County during the 63 to 80 project and later the extensions southward, they probably won't include them here either.

BTW Exit 144 has omitted Vailsburg and South Orange for some time.  Some leftovers and carbon copies remained, however NB never used them and in fact the 18th Avenue overpass was lacking an at exit guide for some time now since they started signing the separate neighborhoods of Newark and used that particular overpass to post some directory board signs.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 04, 2016, 07:47:46 AM
How is Lyons Avenue signed now?  Just Maplewood and Hillside I presume?  Being they no longer like using 600 series routes anymore, hence the removal of them in Ocean County during the 63 to 80 project and later the extensions southward, they probably won't include them here either.

BTW Exit 144 has omitted Vailsburg and South Orange for some time.  Some leftovers and carbon copies remained, however NB never used them and in fact the 18th Avenue overpass was lacking an at exit guide for some time now since they started signing the separate neighborhoods of Newark and used that particular overpass to post some directory board signs.

New signs not up yet. They just changed the letters on each side. I imaginge it will just be Hillside and Maplewood in the end.

NJRoadfan

What is the verdict on the exit numbers for the Atlantic City Expressway? The new advance signs northbound clearly show Exit 38-38A and no "Formerly Exit" tabs, yet there appears to be one at the interchange itself.

SignBridge

As per the MUTCD they can't have Exits 38 & 38A. It has to be 38A and 38B.

NJRoadfan

Also, Exit 116 might be vanishing soon. All the new BROWN PNC Bank Arts Center signs lack exit tabs.

roadman65

I would like to know how they are going to sign Bloomfield Avenue.  Are they going to just use the township name or just the street name?  That should be interesting along with Hoover Avenue and Springdale Avenue.

I will bet, though Watchung Avenue will be just for Nutley and Montclair and most likely NJ 3 East will finally get "New York City" instead of the Lincoln Tunnel.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on July 05, 2016, 09:22:03 PM
As per the MUTCD they can't have Exits 38 & 38A. It has to be 38A and 38B.

That's been well established.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 06, 2016, 12:28:10 AM
I would like to know how they are going to sign Bloomfield Avenue.  Are they going to just use the township name or just the street name?  That should be interesting along with Hoover Avenue and Springdale Avenue.

I will bet, though Watchung Avenue will be just for Nutley and Montclair and most likely NJ 3 East will finally get "New York City" instead of the Lincoln Tunnel.

Bloomfield Ave now signed as CR 506/Bloomfield.
Belleville Ave now signed as CR 509/SPUR CR 506/Belleville.
Watchung Ave no longer referenced at 151, just Nutley and Montclair.
Springdale Ave will just be East Orange.
Rt 3 EB signed for Secaucus now, I'm betting there will be some ground mounted aux signs for the Lincoln Tunnel and the Sports Complex, similar to what they did on the western spur of the Turnpike.

storm2k

Also of interest, the BGS on this sign was replaced, but the structure was not. So you have a new sign (no longer mentions Harrison) next to that 3 lanes ahead sign which dates to the early 80s at least. I vaguely remember the older signs on there but I was a little kid in the early 80s. You can see how the illuminations do not match the current sign positions.

roadman65

Secaucus is not a good place considering its practically inches from the largest city in the US.  Also being the Lincoln Tunnel is a primary route crossing across the Hudson.

Let me guess also, NYC will be the new EB I-80 control city instead of the GWB though. 

NJ 3 is actually the better choice to get to Midtown NY, from the GSP over I-80 as the GWB puts you uptown and far away from most of the main parts of the city and Brooklyn.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Re: Storm2k's post pointing out the elimination of street names on signs, ya' wonder why they couldn't sign the exit using the street name, and then have a supplemental sign naming the towns. For example Exit-151 could be signed for Watchung Ave. (like it was for about 60 years) and then a supplemental sign reading:  Montclair, Nutley, Exit 151. That would be MUTCD compliant.

But I guess what's happening here is the inevitable result of stirring up a hornets nest, forcing the NJTA to convert to MUTCD signing, and now they're doing it to the letter, and the hell with whether it's good guidance or not. Now when they get deluged with complaints about inadequate sign info, they can say: "We told you so; our old Turnpike sign system was so much better, but this is what the Feds forced us to do."

Roadgeek Adam

At a minimum put a CR 655 shield up there, but really no one knows the designation. I feel like this one will confuse drivers a tad.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

storm2k

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 06, 2016, 08:47:56 PM
At a minimum put a CR 655 shield up there, but really no one knows the designation. I feel like this one will confuse drivers a tad.

Even the Turnpike Authority more or less followed the "No 6XX county routes on BGS's" rule. Not always 100%, but most of the time.

As for the elimination of the street names from the signs, I have mixed feelings about it. I never saw a problem with it, especially when a road is more known by it's name (and I think both Bloomfield and Belleville Aves qualify) than its destinations, but what can you do. Yet, they kept street names at 2 places I know of: South Orange Ave and Wood Ave South at 131/A (even though I think there are more useful things for that exit).

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on July 06, 2016, 10:07:21 PM

Even the Turnpike Authority more or less followed the "No 6XX county routes on BGS's" rule. Not always 100%, but most of the time.

As for the elimination of the street names from the signs, I have mixed feelings about it. I never saw a problem with it, especially when a road is more known by it's name (and I think both Bloomfield and Belleville Aves qualify) than its destinations, but what can you do. Yet, they kept street names at 2 places I know of: South Orange Ave and Wood Ave South at 131/A (even though I think there are more useful things for that exit).
6xx are signed sparingly on the southern Parkway. Also South Orange Avenue could easily be signed as 510.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on July 06, 2016, 10:41:13 PM
Quote from: storm2k on July 06, 2016, 10:07:21 PM

6xx are signed sparingly on the southern Parkway. Also South Orange Avenue could easily be signed as 510.

In this case, it's signed as both 510 and South Orange Ave. Still quite surprised they didn't use South Orange as a control city.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on July 06, 2016, 08:29:11 PM
Re: Storm2k's post pointing out the elimination of street names on signs, ya' wonder why they couldn't sign the exit using the street name, and then have a supplemental sign naming the towns. For example Exit-151 could be signed for Watchung Ave. (like it was for about 60 years) and then a supplemental sign reading:  Montclair, Nutley, Exit 151. That would be MUTCD compliant.

But I guess what's happening here is the inevitable result of stirring up a hornets nest, forcing the NJTA to convert to MUTCD signing, and now they're doing it to the letter, and the hell with whether it's good guidance or not. Now when they get deluged with complaints about inadequate sign info, they can say: "We told you so; our old Turnpike sign system was so much better, but this is what the Feds forced us to do."
New Jersey always had its own way of signing.  I grew up there and I always thought this way the Parkway did it using urban cities on the main guide was normal until I moved here to Florida.

If this was Florida, Springfield Avenue would be signed as such and "Irvington" would be on a supplemental and most likely being signed as "Next 3 Exits" as both Lyons Avenue ramps do serve the township as well.

Also, at one time SB on the Parkway did not feature Bloomfield on the Exit 148 signs but only Bloomfield Avenue.  Actually at Exit 151 there was a Bloomfield Next 3 Exits assembly there as Watchung Avenue, Bellville Avenue, and Bloomfield Avenue are all within the borders of the Newark Suburb.

You are right though, maybe its time that the NJTA uses just street names and supplemental signs for the towns around the interchange.  Also for I-280, I would think that "TO I-80 WEST" shields should be there just as much as the NJT shields are and change the WB I-280 control city of "The Oranges" to either "Parsipany" or even "Delaware Water Gap" to reflect that I-80 goes there afterward.  IMO, for the latter NJDOT should make I-80's westbound control city "Stroudsburg" over the Gap as its more of a proper city than a cut in a mountain.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.