National Boards > Bridges

Frankenstein bridges

<< < (2/7) > >>

bugo:
Steve Gum: The concrete spans are definitely original because there's a bridge just east of this one over a relief of the Ouachita River that has the exact same style of railing that appears to be exactly the same age.

NE2:
Isn't it possible that the pony truss span was placed at this spot later, replacing another original span with concrete railings?

Mapmikey:
Virginia built lots of bridges like this in the 1920s-30s...

Here are both ends of the now-destroyed VA 94 bridge over the New River built in 1927:

1924 bridge used by VA 10 and later US 11 near Elliston:

US 15's former bridge over the Rivanna River built in 1931:

Here's one where the truss isn't parallel to the bridge deck for some reason.  US 340 over Flint Run:

Virginia did take late 19th century and early 20th century bridges and move them around to other locations but I don't recall ever seeing anything to suggest they were removing truss segments and replacing with concrete railing.  Virginia also stopped using metal date plates for a few years around WW2 and carved the dates instead for I assume metal conservation reasons.

Mapmikey

bugo:

--- Quote from: NE2 on February 08, 2015, 05:09:33 PM ---Isn't it possible that the pony truss span was placed at this spot later, replacing another original span with concrete railings?

--- End quote ---

I guess it's possible but I've never heard of anybody doing that to this bridge. Since the truss is longer than the concrete spans it it has been modified then a pier would have been removed. Next time I'm down that way I'll check to see if there are any remnants of a removed pier in the river.

NE2:
Ah, the distance between piers explains it. No need to check.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version