News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2020 wildfire season

Started by Bruce, September 10, 2020, 02:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

The AirNow map tells it all. The West Coast is burning and being smoked out.

jakeroot

In my area of Washington (Tacoma, Pierce County), we've had a ton of small fires pop up over the last 48 hours, mainly brush although one larger fire at Wapato Hills Park less than a mile from where I have some family. At least one person was arrested for arson when they tried to light a fire in the central reservation of the Valley Freeway (WA-167) near Puyallup. No idea how many other fires that person might have started

The Sumner Grade fire is really odd, since it's a large scale fire on the west side of the Cascade Mountains in a very suburban area. Destroyed four homes at this point. Fortunately it appears to be fairly contained.

Southern Oregon is not looking good. That's all I'll say. Grateful to have decent air quality back for the time being.

Edit: photo I took this evening showing low-level smoke from a distance. Taken looking northwest from North Tacoma, WA:

kevinb1994

Thoughts and prayers for those affected, of course...this is gonna go down as one of the worst years for wildfires, period.

Max Rockatansky

And my wife wonders why I suggested Great Basin National Park for early October...

Bruce

A marine push was supposed to bring sweet relief from the smoke...instead it's bringing all the smoke from California and Oregon into Washington.

https://twitter.com/waEMD/status/1304155481837953025

Just our luck.

Max Rockatansky

kphoger

We've finally been getting rain the last couple of days.  Temps have been in the 50s, down from the 90s.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2020, 09:27:49 AM
We've finally been getting rain the last couple of days.  Temps have been in the 50s, down from the 90s.

Have you all been seeing smoke or fires in Wichita? Or are you somewhere else?

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on September 11, 2020, 12:33:14 PM

No, nothing like that here.  Although I wouldn't necessarily see it with all the cloud cover lately.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2020, 12:40:17 PM

No, nothing like that here.  Although I wouldn't necessarily see it with all the cloud cover lately.

You do know this is the "2020 wildfire season" thread, right? Just not sure the weather in Kansas is relevant to the discussion :-D

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on September 11, 2020, 12:48:12 PM

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2020, 12:40:17 PM

You do know this is the "2020 wildfire season" thread, right? Just not sure the weather in Kansas is relevant to the discussion :-D

Crap.  No.  I thought it was the 'what's your weather like' thread.   :banghead:
Male pronouns, please.

wanderer2575

bing101

Yes Parts of the West Coast had the skies covered up in Smoke that you  have no clue if it was daytime or nighttime by the pictures.

Bruce

The view from Kerry Park yesterday:

(This was before the bulk of the smoke storm swept in)

ozarkman417

Today would have been a clear day, but instead, there is a high-altitude plume of smoke stretching all the way out to the Ozarks.

bing101

Here is the shots of the dark skies around the Bay Area due to wildfire smoke very concentrated in the Bay Area and Sacramento Valley.

KEK Inc.

Had to cancel my 15 mile backpacking trip.  Went to Costco instead yesterday; here's both sides of the SR-99 tunnel.

Take the road less traveled.

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 12, 2020, 06:07:01 PM
Today would have been a clear day, but instead, there is a high-altitude plume of smoke stretching all the way out to the Ozarks.

Don't like the fire, but didn't mind the cooler temps here
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on September 13, 2020, 08:21:30 PM

The temperature dropped 20-25 degrees from last week in Fresno.  I have no plans for any hiking in the next two weeks so I'm not complaining.

jakeroot

I had jeans and a jacket on for opening day of football. Definitely never had that happen before.

I like summer weather, and the lighter clothes associated with it, since it's underappreciated around here. But wildfires are proof that it isn't perfect. Then again, heavy, pounding sun doesn't result in floods and weather related car accidents. No weather is truly perfect.

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 14, 2020, 12:08:12 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 13, 2020, 08:21:30 PM

The temperature dropped 20-25 degrees from last week in Fresno.  I have no plans for any hiking in the next two weeks so I'm not complaining.

The jetstream has blown the smoke over Arkansas and dropped temps 5-10 degrees . Don't like the fires, don't like the smoke, but the temp drop is welcome.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bruce

Yeah, it was strange to bust out my fall jacket a bit early. It is nice to be able to close the windows and not totally bake while avoiding the smoke.

webny99

The lighting here has been weird the past couple days, especially around sunrise and sunset, and I'm pretty sure it's smoke from the fires. It's like there's a haze making the sky more white/gray than the usual blue, and it feels only partly sunny even though you can tell the sun's shining.

kphoger

The air is smoky here today.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on September 17, 2020, 02:12:37 PM

The air is smoky here today.

Apparently it's well on its way to encircling the globe! I heard it made its way to Europe.

Still very smoky here. Air quality is steadily improving but still holding steady in "unhealthy". Better than "hazardous" a few days ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.