News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

22 Mile "Gap"

Started by US71, May 20, 2020, 09:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

ARDOT never ceases to amaze me how stupid they seem to be.

AR 27 runs from Ar 7 at Dardanelle to US 71 near Ben Lomond. At Norman, it joins AR 8 to near Glenwood,  then joins US 70 to Kirby... a distance of approximately 22 miles.  This whole distance, AR 27 isn't posted at all...it "disappears".  Not even a trailblazer

Further north, 27 is posted with trailblazers along duplexed roadways (TO 27).

There's also a 14 mile gap of AR 27 between Dardanelle and Dover along AR 7.

Seems like I've written ARDOT before (as has Bugo) only to get BS answers.

Are they "saving money" by confusing motorists?

-end rant-
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Life in Paradise

If you come to Indiana, you will find numerous examples of this.  So many, that if you are a bit inclined to drink, you will order a case from your nearest vendor.  There are some incidents of a road being marked up to the city limits, then not marked at all in the city, only to pick up on the other side.  You are never sure if you are traveling towards the rest of the road while going through town.

capt.ron

Quote from: US71 on May 20, 2020, 09:24:54 PM

AR 27 runs from Ar 7 at Dardanelle to US 71 near Ben Lomond. At Norman, it joins AR 8 to near Glenwood,  then joins US 70 to Kirby... a distance of approximately 22 miles.  This whole distance, AR 27 isn't posted at all...it "disappears".  Not even a trailblazer

-end rant-

They are notorious for not signing their routes properly. In Searcy, there are several examples. 1. AR 36 being a prime example. There is a AR 36 east trailblazer just off of the US 67 off ramp. If I recall correctly, the current alignment of AR 36 is Beebe-Capps Blvd until reaching east line road. Then a sign points left for the continuation of AR 36, but it isn't posted with AR 367. According to the map, it is duplexed with AR 367 until reaching the "Y" where Race St and East line Rd and 36 east to Kensett meet up.
AR 367 also isn't properly signed. The portion of Main St from Booth Rd on south is AR 367, but there happens to be a JCT 367 just as you make your way over the US 67 overpass. Hmm...I thought I was already on 367!!

Their "broken" routes like AR 310, 110, 13, and others don't make any sense whatsoever.

cjk374

Here is a recently made gap that pisses me off:

US 82 is being widened across Arkansas. They recently completed a segment starting at the US 82 west/US 79 north junction southward (this part being the Magnolia bypass), to the US 79 south junction...then eastward toward Marysville & El Dorado.

Let's discuss the Magnolia bypass. This stretch of US 79 is where US 82 joins in as "a guest" route with US 79. Both junctions meet US 79 at 90° 4-way intersections. US 79 goes straight through with no turns. So when the new signage was put up along the Magnolia bypass, US 79's half of the concurrency was eliminated! Now US 79 has TO trailblazers and JCT banners along here now, creating a gap in this US ROUTE that wasn't there before!

C'MON ARDOT!!!!! QUIT BEING STUPID!!!!!!! 😡😡😡🤬🤬🤬🤬
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Road Hog

-end rant-

Since I mentioned AR 7 on a thread I just posted on, there's the confusion of AR 164 in Pope County as well. There's the segment west from AR 7 to Hagarville, the segment east from AR 7 to Moreland. Cut and dried, right?

Nope. There is a stub end of AR 164 at Scottsville that intersects AR 27 and crosses the Illinois Bayou over a one-lane bridge. So in ARDOT's imagination, AR 164 crosses over via a county road to the stub, then 164 quietly duplexes with AR 27 to Dover, where 164 continues east. In fact, I recall seeing concurrency arrows for both 27 and 164 at the intersections in Dover a long time ago.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on July 11, 2020, 04:30:54 PM

-end rant-

Since I mentioned AR 7 on a thread I just posted on, there's the confusion of AR 164 in Pope County as well. There's the segment west from AR 7 to Hagarville, the segment east from AR 7 to Moreland. Cut and dried, right?

Nope. There is a stub end of AR 164 at Scottsville that intersects AR 27 and crosses the Illinois Bayou over a one-lane bridge. So in ARDOT's imagination, AR 164 crosses over via a county road to the stub, then 164 quietly duplexes with AR 27 to Dover, where 164 continues east. In fact, I recall seeing concurrency arrows for both 27 and 164 at the intersections in Dover a long time ago.

AR 45 used to be one continuous route as well before it was chopped up. Originally ran from AR 68 near Huntsville, through Fayetteville, Prairie Grove, Van Buren , Fort Smith, Hartford.  It was extended to AR 12, but sliced up south of Fayetteville.

jp the roadgeek

This sounds like a gap that drives people crazy in the Stamford, CT/Pound Ridge, NY area.  At one time, CT and NY 124 were both part of one continuous route.  In 1966, NYSDOT extended NY 124 to the CT border via an overlap with NY 137 and by taking over NY 394.  In response, CTDOT renumbered CT 29 to CT 124 to reciprocate.  4 years later, NYSDOT reneged on the extension, and left CT holding the bag, creating a 3 mile gap between routes.  Now, CT 124 becomes a local road (Westchester Ave) at the border, and one must follow the local road and NY 137 to get to NY 124.  However, as a courtesy, NYSDOT did leave a TO CONN 124 sign on NY 137 south, but uses a NY route sign and puts the TO and CONN on 2 separate banners above the route sign.  The interesting thing is that directions on Google treat CT and NY 124 as one continuous route; it tells you to turn right on NY 124/NY 137 North at the junction of Westchester Ave and NY 137. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

armadillo speedbump

Eh, I don't mind the gap.

bugo

If you think that's weird, check out AR 393, section 0. The mile markers start at AR 197 and at 0.67 miles, the highway abruptly ends at a cemetary, while the roadway continues as a county road. There is another section of AR 393, section 0 that begins at another seemingly random spot and continues eastward to end at AR 109 in Morrison Bluff. The mileage on the southern section starts at 0 and ends at 0.67 miles. The mileage on the  northern/eastern section starts at 0.67 and ends at 3.181.  The gap in the highway is 6.3 miles long, so they have obviously never had plans to turn the county roads that link the two sections. To follow the not-implied route, you must drive on several different roads and there are several turns you must take to get to the other section of the highway. Here is a control section map of Logan County.

MikieTimT

Quote from: bugo on September 30, 2020, 07:24:54 PM
If you think that's weird, check out AR 393, section 0. The mile markers start at AR 197 and at 0.67 miles, the highway abruptly ends at a cemetary, while the roadway continues as a county road. There is another section of AR 393, section 0 that begins at another seemingly random spot and continues eastward to end at AR 109 in Morrison Bluff. The mileage on the southern section starts at 0 and ends at 0.67 miles. The mileage on the  northern/eastern section starts at 0.67 and ends at 3.181.  The gap in the highway is 6.3 miles long, so they have obviously never had plans to turn the county roads that link the two sections. To follow the not-implied route, you must drive on several different roads and there are several turns you must take to get to the other section of the highway. Here is a control section map of Logan County.

Coincidentally, that map also contains a section of AR-288.  Logan County has another section of 288 that crosses into Franklin County, so that gap is even larger.  I came to accept the stupidity of the state highway routing long ago.  The only gaps that bother me now are the ones in I-49.

The Ghostbuster

Why do some Arkansas Highways have gaps? Is it like the gaps in California where portions of the highways remain unconstructed?

ozarkman417

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 30, 2020, 07:44:29 PM
Why do some Arkansas Highways have gaps? Is it like the gaps in California where portions of the highways remain unconstructed?
Someone could probably explain it better, but I think it is for two reasons:

-Arkansas doesn't have a secondary highway system, like Missouri or Virginia, so they reuse numbers.

-Arkansas generally doesn't like signing concurrences and overlaps.

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 30, 2020, 07:46:57 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 30, 2020, 07:44:29 PM
Someone could probably explain it better, but I think it is for two reasons:

-Arkansas doesn't have a secondary highway system, like Missouri or Virginia, so they reuse numbers.

-Arkansas generally doesn't like signing concurrences and overlaps.

74 is one of the biggest "violators", yet once upon a time, it was one complete route.  Same with AR 45.

As far as concurrences, they post trailblazers many times which IMO is a waste of money.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.