News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Refined product shortages

Started by wxfree, August 31, 2017, 01:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

Here in the DFW area people are freaking out.  There are long gas station lines, stations are running dry, and prices are high.  One station I heard about has only 93 octane and is charging $4 per gallon for it.  The price display was turned off so you wouldn't know how much it costs until you start pumping.  People are filling their vehicle tanks and gas cans.  Local news stations reported that a shortage was likely, so everyone went out and made a shortage happen.

How are things in your area?
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Brandon

Just fine, no shortages what-so-ever.  Some stations raised their prices into the $2.50s per gallon for 87 octane, while some are still in the 2-teens.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JJBers

83 is in the 2.30s....so I think it's just a local problem.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

wxfree

I wonder why it's affecting us first.  Maybe it's because we're closer to the refineries, so we're first in line for whatever happens.  San Antonio news reports indicate shortages, but they aren't reported in Austin's paper.

Analysts say that stations that run out should be resupplied in a few days.  Since most people don't need to buy that frequently, it seems like if we didn't have panic buying there may not be a shortage at all.

Brandon

You guys might have shortages down there, but we've got our own refineries up here (3 around Chicago) that get crude oil from different places (Alberta crude oil is common here).  I sincerely doubt we'll ever see those kinds of shortages.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

No issues in California other than the typical high prices, we have our own refineries as well.

jemacedo9

Philly area prices jumped at least 20 cents in the past couple of days...but no shortages that I've heard.

wxfree

I read a claim, made by a random person online, that something called the Ohio River Network is well supplied and is sending fuel this way.  I really think the actual severity is a lot less than the immediate problem.  It's similar to when stores run out of food before a two-day ice storm (that happens here).

jeffandnicole

If there's any issues in Texas, they may be isolated issues.  Gasbuddy is showing the Houston area overall still having some of the cheapest prices in the nation.

I did see some stations near me in NJ jump about 10 cents a gallon.

If a station has their signs turned off, now everyone that pulls their cell phones out ready to record every cop waiting for it to be the next viral sensation should be pulling them out to show that.

wxfree

The Texas railroad commissioner, who has nothing to do with railroads but is in charge or regulating the oil business, says that about 3 million barrels per day of production capacity is down, and that due to normal operations there are currently about 230 million barrels of gasoline in storage around the country.  While there are delays in deliveries due to having fewer places to fill delivery trucks, there is no shortage except that caused by excessive buying.  Gasoline futures are up 26 cents just today, and have been rising for days.  Prices are likely to jump, but it sounds like the shortage shouldn't spread and should be alleviated here once we get deliveries and everyone already has full tanks.

kkt

Ya'll are spoiled.  You know that, right?  My neighborhood: $3.13 for regular.  But at least no shortages.

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on August 31, 2017, 03:25:03 PM
You guys might have shortages down there, but we've got our own refineries up here (3 around Chicago) that get crude oil from different places (Alberta crude oil is common here).  I sincerely doubt we'll ever see those kinds of shortages.

No, but you'll see the price increases. The oil companies will jump at any excuse to stick it to their customers. And you can bet the gas stations will collude on prices.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Quote from: hbelkins on August 31, 2017, 04:40:13 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 31, 2017, 03:25:03 PM

No, but you'll see the price increases. The oil companies will jump at any excuse to stick it to their customers. And you can bet the gas stations will collude on prices.

This too. Prices are quick to rise and slow to drop.

Wednesday gas was $1.999 at a Circle K in Ruston. The price jumped 25 cents today. Should go up another 10 cents tomorrow.

Btw...what happened to the cents symbol that keyboards used to have?? I sure would like to see one again.

Quote from: kkt on August 31, 2017, 04:07:08 PM
Y'all are spoiled.  You know that, right?  My neighborhood: $3.13 for regular.  But at least no shortages.

Spoiled? Nah not really. Just livin in the right place (can't be helped).

Quote from: JJBers on August 31, 2017, 02:06:03 PM
83 is in the 2.30s....so I think it's just a local problem.

83? That is your octane level? Y'all are getting robbed at the pump moreso than anyone!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

They've gone up bigly here. One Haffner's that is normally medium-cheap and slow to change in both directions suddenly shot up from 2.29 to 2.49.

Quote from: cjk374 on August 31, 2017, 05:02:36 PM
Btw...what happened to the cents symbol that keyboards used to have?? I sure would like to see one again.

Option-4, if you're on a Mac.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

02 Park Ave

Some stations in South Jersey have raised their prices 22 cents since Monday morning.🕖

It's like another Christie Tax hike.
C-o-H

JJBers

And say goodbye to that 2.30 price, I didn't realize, but just in the last day, prices have gone up 10-20 cents.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

briantroutman

The only keyboards I ever recall seeing with ¢ keys were on typewriters–frequently above the 6 on electrics or paired with another symbol in the space of the nonexistent return key on manual models.

WillWeaverRVA

We've had prices in the Richmond, VA area jump 30 cents since Tuesday morning. I pass by a Wawa on my way to work and it was $2.09. On my way home from work it was $2.25. Now it's $2.35.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

noelbotevera

Still normal up here in the Susquehanna Valley. Gas prices range from $2.30 to $2.50 here, and nothing's really changed ever since Harvey began.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Duke87

AFAIK Dallas is only having problems because people panicked and rushed to the pumps to fill up whether they currently needed to or not. If everyone waited until they needed gas to buy it, there wouldn't have been an issue.

This is a common theme in these sorts of post-disaster situations. It's part of why we had the emergency even/odd restriction in the NYC area in the weeks after Sandy. People with 1/2 and 3/4 full tanks were lining up to top them off, raiding the stock of gas stations unnecessarily.

Haven't heard of any shortage issues up here now, though we are seeing prices go up. A week ago the going rate was $2.35-$2.45. Now it's $2.55-$2.65.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ColossalBlocks

No shortages over here. Price is absolutely normal.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

wxfree

Quote from: Duke87 on August 31, 2017, 08:44:12 PM
AFAIK Dallas is only having problems because people panicked and rushed to the pumps to fill up whether they currently needed to or not. If everyone waited until they needed gas to buy it, there wouldn't have been an issue.

This is a common theme in these sorts of post-disaster situations. It's part of why we had the emergency even/odd restriction in the NYC area in the weeks after Sandy. People with 1/2 and 3/4 full tanks were lining up to top them off, raiding the stock of gas stations unnecessarily.

Haven't heard of any shortage issues up here now, though we are seeing prices go up. A week ago the going rate was $2.35-$2.45. Now it's $2.55-$2.65.

There were going to be potential problems already, because of some of the distribution system being down.  With fewer places to fill the trucks, there would be delayed deliveries.  A few places might have run low, but it wouldn't have been a big deal.  The news reports made people go out and start buying in excess, including filling cans, which made it much worse than it needed to be.  In my area, there seems to be no gasoline at all.

Brandon

I love reading the folks who call a 30-40 cent jump abnormal.  That's par for the course here.  Some asshole working for Speedway in Ohio seems to think prices are too low, and the next day, we see a jump of 30-50 cents. Then it falls back again.  It's a gas price roller coaster ride.

wxfree

Shockingly enough, gasoline is being delivered.  Most stations around here are still empty, but since everyone filled every fuel tank, gas can, and milk jug they had yesterday, there's nothing left to fill and there's no run on supplies.

SidS1045

Quote from: 1 on August 31, 2017, 05:38:28 PM
They've gone up bigly here. One Haffner's that is normally medium-cheap and slow to change in both directions suddenly shot up from 2.29 to 2.49.

Option-4, if you're on a Mac.

Alt+0162 in Windows.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.