News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Refined product shortages

Started by wxfree, August 31, 2017, 01:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

It was fine here in CT until yesterday, when prices shot up 30-50 cents overnight from about 2.35 to one station charging 2.85.  State passed a law against price gouging last year.  Glad it helped. :rolleyes:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JJBers

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 01, 2017, 04:11:58 PM
It was fine here in CT until yesterday, when prices shot up 30-50 cents overnight from about 2.35 to one station charging 2.85.  State passed a law against price gouging last year.  Glad it helped. :rolleyes:
Hopefully it sets in sometime soon, or we'll be hitting 3.00's
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

02 Park Ave

Gasoline has gone up FORTY cents since Monday morning here in South Jersey.  It's worse than a Christie tax hike; that was only 23 cents.
C-o-H

Brandon

Bizarrely, we have a price war going on between five closely spaced stations in town.  Everyone else is $2.55-$2.59, and these guys are $2.18-$2.19!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cjk374

Quote from: Brandon on September 02, 2017, 12:44:25 AM
Bizarrely, we have a price war going on between five closely spaced stations in town.  Everyone else is $2.55-$2.59, and these guys are $2.18-$2.19!

Sounds like a great time to visit your part of Illinois!  :)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Duke87

It bears pointing out here what price gouging is, and what it isn't:

Price gouging is when some basic necessity (such as gasoline) becomes challenging to access on account of a recent disaster, and retailers of it in the disaster-stricken area charge exhorbitant prices, figuring desperate people will pay it and they can line their pockets.

Price gouging is not the price of a basic necessity across the entire country going up on account of a sudden constraint its supply (caused by a disaster in one particular area or otherwise).

So unless you are in an area Hurricane Harvey or its direct remnants have hit, and where a state of emergency has been officially declared, what you are seeing is not price gouging.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Duke87 on September 02, 2017, 08:12:23 PM
It bears pointing out here what price gouging is, and what it isn't:

Price gouging is when some basic necessity (such as gasoline) becomes challenging to access on account of a recent disaster, and retailers of it in the disaster-stricken area charge exhorbitant prices, figuring desperate people will pay it and they can line their pockets.

Price gouging is not the price of a basic necessity across the entire country going up on account of a sudden constraint its supply (caused by a disaster in one particular area or otherwise).

So unless you are in an area Hurricane Harvey or its direct remnants have hit, and where a state of emergency has been officially declared, what you are seeing is not price gouging.

There isn't a shortage, though, and prices are jumping up anyway.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Brandon

Quote from: cjk374 on September 02, 2017, 05:40:43 PM

Unfortunately, the price war ended today.  We'll see what happens as these prices never seem to last long.  The stations here in town are not just in competition with each other.  They complete with the stations in NW Indiana, Morris, and LaSalle-Peru on I-80.  If those are lower, then we'll see lower prices again soon enough.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Brandon on September 02, 2017, 10:18:53 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on September 02, 2017, 05:40:43 PM

Unfortunately, the price war ended today.  We'll see what happens as these prices never seem to last long.  The stations here in town are not just in competition with each other.  They complete with the stations in NW Indiana, Morris, and LaSalle-Peru on I-80.  If those are lower, then we'll see lower prices again soon enough.

There's also a price war in CT:  who can raise it the highest?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

thenetwork

It would probably be safe to say that part of that price jump that everyone is seeing is due to the Labor Day Weekend travels.  Whether they are using Harvey as an excuse to sneak in another nickel or dime into the annual "Holiday Bump" is anybody's guess.

Western Colorado has seen anywhere from a 20-40 cent bump in prices over this past week.

wxfree

I was able to buy yesterday in an outlying area, a small town called Morgan, without waiting in a line.  Since I was headed that way I though I'd have better luck in a small town.  The GasBuddy availability tracker is looking better around the DFW area, but it's still pretty bad.  We still have small lines, which could be caused by normal demand being compressed into a fraction of the stations, but not the ridiculous lines we had Thursday.  The tracker still looks really bad in Austin and San Antonio, but not as bad as before.  Austin at one point was almost completely out.

I suspect it'll take a while to recover since as long as there are any empty stations some people will still buy more frequently and won't use all the excess they have stored in cans.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.