Which state has the best signage?

Started by ParrDa, September 06, 2017, 11:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

There's two ways to take this:

Which state has the most clear and concise guidance on their signs, such that the average motorist can easily interpret and respond to signage?
Which state has the best-looking signs, regardless of message clarity?

Ohio for clear and concise guidance, and New York (obviously  :)) for good looks.

blue.cable82

california in my opinion has the best signage.

LGMS210

vdeane

IMO California is worst and Oklahoma second-worse.

I'm partial to the "classic" NY signs (the one with series F state route markers) myself, though it varies by region.  Region 2, for example, I actually prefer the modern signs (largely due to the overuse of things like boxed street names).  "Classic" Region 4 is basically my template for what signs "should" look like.

This question would probably be interesting to do for Canada, since each province has its own MUTCD.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

Quote from: vdeane on September 06, 2017, 12:46:05 PM
IMO California is worst and Oklahoma second-worse.

I'm partial to the "classic" NY signs (the one with series F state route markers) myself, though it varies by region.  Region 2, for example, I actually prefer the modern signs (largely due to the overuse of things like boxed street names).  "Classic" Region 4 is basically my template for what signs "should" look like.

This question would probably be interesting to do for Canada, since each province has its own MUTCD.

In New York I've always thought Region 3 did the best with signing, from classic all the way up to the current standards.

Across the U.S. I've always been partial to Arizona before they went to Clearview (and the dimensions of some things like exit tabs got weird), Georgia when it was using the GDOT version of Series D on their guide signs and Illinois before, during and after Clearview use.

AsphaltPlanet

I'd say either Michigan or Texas has the best signage in the US.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm biased, but I've always felt Minnesota has had some of the best signage because of the BGSs posted on stoplight mast arms at virtually every state highway junction. That makes it almost impossible to take a wrong turn because you know exactly what intersection the highway is.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Didn't we do this thread already just a couple months ago?   Some of my favorite designs are; California, Colorado, Minnesota, Arizona, Nevada, Florida, and Michigan.  As far as sign standards go I would probably rate Michigan up there, the place is the land of reassurance shields. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2017, 02:58:16 PM
Didn't we do this thread already just a couple months ago?

We do one for each season.  ;-)

Florida is one of my favorites. Their signage doesn't seem to fade or age quite like some states, and they round their corners. I also like their use of APLs (one of my favorites is the sign along the 408 EB approaching the 417 near Orlando). Although I prefer all-Clearview or all-FHWA signage, Florida has done good work with Clearview. This is in addition to excellent pavement markings (I especially like their new option lane markings with the long arrows) and high-quality pavement. A+.

I also like BC because Clearview and up arrows. But I wish they rounded their signs off like Florida, NC, or Virginia (among other states).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on September 06, 2017, 03:20:57 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2017, 02:58:16 PM
Didn't we do this thread already just a couple months ago?

We do one for each season.  ;-)

Florida is one of my favorites. Their signage doesn't seem to fade or age quite like some states, and they round their corners. I also like their use of APLs (one of my favorites is the sign along the 408 EB approaching the 417 near Orlando). Although I prefer all-Clearview or all-FHWA signage, Florida has done good work with Clearview. This is in addition to excellent pavement markings (I especially like their new option lane markings with the long arrows) and high-quality pavement. A+.

I also like BC because Clearview and up arrows. But I wish they rounded their signs off like Florida, NC, or Virginia (among other states).

With Florida I just like the cleanliness of the design, granted I know that isn't a popular opinion given the older shields have the Keys in them. 

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 06, 2017, 02:37:18 PM
I'm biased, but I've always felt Minnesota has had some of the best signage because of the BGSs posted on stoplight mast arms at virtually every state highway junction. That makes it almost impossible to take a wrong turn because you know exactly what intersection the highway is.

Those green signs need to be standard everywhere. I love them for the reasons you stated, but also because too often pole-mounted route markers go missing in urban areas or are just not posted, for a lack of space or otherwise.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: blue.cable82 on September 06, 2017, 12:01:51 PM

LGMS210

Strongly disagree.  Has no quality control over signage, and doesn't allow logo signs in urban areas in any city with populations over 5000 (a stupid, outdated policy).

myosh_tino

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 06, 2017, 07:09:10 PM

Strongly disagree.  Has no quality control over signage, and doesn't allow logo signs in urban areas in any city with populations over 5000 (a stupid, outdated policy).

Why do you have such a hard-on for logo signs?  I don't think they belong in urban areas because they cause too much clutter but *that* discussion is for another thread!
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 07, 2017, 03:59:36 PM

Why do you have such a hard-on for logo signs?  I don't think they belong in urban areas because they cause too much clutter but *that* discussion is for another thread!

I'll second that, it makes things way too busy IMO.  They have some merit out in the sticks on some far flung freeway but it isn't like it is difficult to discern what might off an exit just by looking. 

paulthemapguy

I never expected a state like West Virginia to be as good as it is.  Not sure if it's the all-time best, but it at least deserves an honorable mention.  Tennessee, Massachusetts, and New Mexico are garbage.  Wisconsin is responsible with signage, but I favor it less because it uses unisigns all the time.  New York State is good, outside the big city.  Ohio and Michigan are also good.  I can't decide who is the actual BEST though.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 07, 2017, 04:14:48 PM

I'll second that, it makes things way too busy IMO.  They have some merit out in the sticks on some far flung freeway but it isn't like it is difficult to discern what might off an exit just by looking.

As long as there is adequate spacing for logo signs in an urban area, then they provide a useful service to the public.  This is especially true in Sun Belt metropolitan areas such as Phoenix or Atlanta which are typically less dense.

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 07, 2017, 05:14:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 07, 2017, 04:14:48 PM

As long as there is adequate spacing for logo signs in an urban area, then they provide a useful service to the public.  This is especially true in Sun Belt metropolitan areas such as Phoenix or Atlanta which are typically less dense.

But at what expense and how are they really adding much to the navigational purposes?  Most people would probably reference a location to eat or get gas from a GPS, smart phone, or another device if not outright just look off the side of the freeway.  I never once had an issue that I recall in all my years living in Arizona where I simply couldn't see a gas station or shopping center that was right off the freeway.  Just seems pretty callus to call a whole state terrible at signage standards just because of logo signs or lack there of.  Now you could probably make a better argument for poor signage standards consistency between the Caltrans Districts which is frequently argued on the Pacific Southwest Board.

paulthemapguy

In an effort to summarize what's been proposed so far:

Best:

• Kansas
  • New York
  • California
  • Minnesota
  • New York
  • Michigan
  • Ohio
  • Maryland
  • West Virginia

Worst:

• California
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • New Mexico
  • Massachusetts
  • Tennessee

freebrickproductions

Alabama's certainly one of the worst, especially in recent years when it appears that quality control got thrown out the window at ALDOT, and the counties and most of the municipalities have never been good at signage...
I'd say it probably ranks lower than Tennessee as Tennessee at least looks like they're trying half of the time, IMO (and a lot of their junk is on locally maintained roads as well).

I also agree that Florida has really good signage.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

MNHighwayMan

paulthemapguy

I'd actually put Maryland somewhere in the bottom 15.

bassoon1986

Just took a trip to central Missouri and that state ranks the best for me. EVERY intersection with numbered/lettered routes were marked cleanly. Always with directional tabs. Multiple highways were always consigned with one another (ex: US 71 was always next to I-49). I love that after exits, there were mileages for the destinations at the intersecting highway. For on ramps onto interstates there were always LGS's with shields and city.

The only inconsistencies I found were certain control cities flipping back and forth on I-44. Sometimes Rolla or St Louis. Or Joplin/Tulsa going west. And Fort Smith Arkansas I think is a poor choice for I-49 south of Joplin when the metro NW Ar cities have surpassed the population of Fort Smith.

iPhone

csw

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.