News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Federal Transportation Funding for Arkansas to Cease at End of Month

Started by AHTD, May 13, 2015, 11:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHTD

The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department received word Monday that Federal transportation funds for projects in the State will discontinue after May 31st.

See this link for a news release we published yesterday, including a copy of the letter AHTD Director Scott Bennett received from U.S. Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx:

http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2015/NR%2015-127.pdf

Also, there is an article in today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette further illustrating how many projects under construction may be at risk:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/may/13/no-congress-deal-road-jobs-halt-state-s

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

nexus73

Where we're going we won't need roads since we as a nation are going over the cliff.  "You should have bought a squirrel!" as the sign said in the movie "Rat Race".  I wish I could add "LOL!" to that statement but I am so saddened by this news.  How can any level of government conduct business when money flows are prone to interruptions caused by political wrangling?  Contracts are not worth the paper they are printed on as this action by the Feds shows.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

It is one thing to not have funding for new projects, but to kill off the money to pay for projects under construction is even worse. That is going to end up costing taxpayers even more due to contractor claims, extended overhead or demobilization/remobilization, and schedule slips. I'm sure every other state DOT is facing the same prospect.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

J N Winkler

This is just another installation of permanent crisis in transportation funding.  Resolution will probably occur at, oh, 11.58 PM on May 31st, and then we'll bound along to the next stoppage.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.