News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

San Antonio - Toll Free City.

Started by BigMattFromTexas, July 07, 2010, 04:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

OK, I'm sure I'm not the only one that realized that San Antonio has over 1,000,000 people and no toll roads. I like how they have no toll roads, and still have a good transportation system, the roads get you to where you need to go without the crazyness of other Texas cities. The traffic is better than Dallas, even though Dallas is smaller than San Antonio. I don't see any point in toll roads in the city, but who knows, TxDOT may feel it necessary to build them, I hope not. I mean San Antonio is one of the few Texas cities that has a true loop, actually they have two. 1604 gets people where they need to go quicker than going farther in town, and 410 gets people around the city, or to the airport, where ever people need to go. I think toll roads would mess up the system, I just think if a transportation system is fine, don't mess with it. And hopefully that's what TxDOT will do, for as long as transportation in San Antonio is fine.
BigMatt

codyg1985

El Paso also doesn't have any toll roads, although I think there is one that is planned.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

FreewayDan

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 07, 2010, 07:18:16 AM
El Paso also doesn't have any toll roads, although I think there is one that is planned.

The one toll road planned in El Paso is the Northeast Parkway.  Part of the route is planned to be blended in with NM 404.

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/875
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

Chris

QuoteThe traffic is better than Dallas, even though Dallas is smaller than San Antonio.

Yes, city proper-wise, however Dallas has a far larger suburban area that has about 4 times more population than San Antonio. So it's not a big surprise traffic in San Antonio is better with 1.5 million vs 6 million inhabitants.

Still, San Antonio's road network is pretty good for a city of that size.

By the way, I think San Antonio is probably America's least known major city outside the United States.

TheStranger

Quote from: Chris on July 08, 2010, 03:59:57 PM

By the way, I think San Antonio is probably America's least known major city outside the United States.

San Jose probably would be up there, despite having a million people now...

In terms of San Antonio being toll free: basically, they lucked out in that most of their projects were built when traditional sources of funding (i.e. Interstate funds) were still plentiful, and there's enough land that developers continue to be able to provide right of way to TxDOT, the same way that Houston's Southwest Freeway gained its right of way.
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on July 08, 2010, 05:03:33 PM

and being the 10th-largest city in the US.  But I'd be willing to bet most people think San Francisco is larger.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 08, 2010, 05:25:14 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on July 08, 2010, 05:03:33 PM

and being the 10th-largest city in the US.  But I'd be willing to bet most people think San Francisco is larger.

Considering that Caltrans signs US 101 for San Francisco as early as Ventura, yet doesn't mention San Jose until about King City/Salinas or so...yeah, I can see where outsiders get that perception.
Chris Sampang

Revive 755

Wasn't there consideration for a new toll facility around San Antonio not that long ago, or am I just thinking of a HOT lane proposal for 1604?

golden eagle

Quote from: Chris on July 08, 2010, 03:59:57 PM

If not for the Spurs, it'd be even less known. I don't think most people in America realize large San Antonio is. I bet most people even in Texas think Dallas proper is larger than San Antonio proper.

fix-a-quote: it's also a garden tool!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 08, 2010, 11:00:25 PM
Wasn't there consideration for a new toll facility around San Antonio not that long ago, or am I just thinking of a HOT lane proposal for 1604?

I think it was a ETL (Express toll lanes) system for Loop 1604, there more infos on Brian Purcell's San Antonio site  http://www.texashighwayman.com/tollsys.shtml

Edit: Correction, seems to be a HOT system and not a ETL system, a similar set-up could also be use on I-35 and I-10

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.