News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

DaBigE

Quote from: Rothman on December 08, 2019, 10:55:30 PM
Refs stole not one but two TDs from Pats tonight.

Breaking out the world's smallest violin.  :biggrin:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SSOWorld

If they hadn't wasted challenges, they could have gotten them back.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ET21

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 09, 2019, 06:09:00 AM

This, made the 4th quarter very entertaining to watch
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

roadman

If we didn't have the myriad of stupid rules the NFL has enacted, combined with the obviously incompetent officiating, the Pats wouldn't have needed to challenge those calls.  Oh wait, those calls were AGAINST the Patriots, so they must have been valid.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

thspfc

Let's start a petition to have Dolphins/Bengals flexed to Sunday Night in week 16.

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on December 08, 2019, 07:55:35 AM
Quote from: apeman33 on December 08, 2019, 04:39:50 AM
So yeah, the Cowboys can win the division title four games under .500 and go into the playoffs on a six-game losing streak.
Well, two games under 0.500.

The difference between 8-8 and 6-10 is the winning of 2 more games.
No, you count up from wins to .500, you don't look at it that way.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on December 09, 2019, 11:07:08 PM
So yeah, the Cowboys can win the division title four games under .500 and go into the playoffs on a six-game losing streak.
Well, two games under 0.500.  The difference between 8-8 and 6-10 is the winning of 2 more games.

Dallas is 6-7 now.  If they win two more games that will give them 8 wins and 0.500.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hotdogPi

While half games are really only discussed in baseball, the concept still applies here. For example, 8-7 is half a game higher than 7-7.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: roadman on December 09, 2019, 10:14:56 AM

If we didn't have the myriad of stupid rules the NFL has enacted, combined with the obviously incompetent officiating, the Pats wouldn't have needed to challenge those calls.  Oh wait, those calls were AGAINST the Patriots, so they must have been valid.

Maybe the Patriots should start illegally filming the officials rather than opposing teams.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on December 09, 2019, 11:26:18 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 09, 2019, 11:07:08 PM
Well, two games under 0.500.  The difference between 8-8 and 6-10 is the winning of 2 more games.

Dallas is 6-7 now.  If they win two more games that will give them 8 wins and 0.500.
They are a game under. 500. They need to win 1 game to reach. 500. That is always how the terminology is applied.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on December 10, 2019, 05:42:58 AM
While half games are really only discussed in baseball, the concept still applies here. For example, 8-7 is half a game higher than 7-7.

I see what all the confusion is about.  A team with an 8-7 record is both one game above .500 and a half game ahead of a team with a 7-7 record.  The difference is whether your are comparing a team to the standard of a .500 winning percentage or an actual team that happens to have a .500 record.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

MNHighwayMan

So it looks like the Patriots have been caught in Spygate 2.0. Against the Bengals, of all teams. :-D :-D

thspfc

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 10, 2019, 02:13:50 PM
So it looks like the Patriots have been caught in Spygate 2.0. Against the Bengals, of all teams. :-D :-D
It hardly matters what they do at this point. The only real punishment for everything shady they've done would be to vacate their Super Bowls, and the NFL isn't going to do that.

Beltway

Quote from: thspfc on December 10, 2019, 05:34:50 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 10, 2019, 02:13:50 PM
It hardly matters what they do at this point. The only real punishment for everything shady they've done would be to vacate their Super Bowls, and the NFL isn't going to do that.

The first 3 they won certainly were obtained thru major cheating, and they wouldn't have been there in the first place except thru major cheating.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

oscar

Quote from: Alps on December 10, 2019, 01:34:06 PM
They are a game under. 500. They need to win 1 game to reach. 500. That is always how the terminology is applied.

More exactly, they need to win their next game to reach .500. Then win one or both of their two remaining games to stay at or above .500 for this season.

But if they lose their next game, they can win both their remaining games to end up at .500 for the season.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Beltway

Quote from: oscar on December 10, 2019, 05:52:06 PM
More exactly, they need to win their next game to reach .500. Then win one or both of their two remaining games to stay at or above .500 for this season.
But if they lose their next game, they can win both their remaining games to end up at .500 for the season.
What about when one team is 7-7-0 and the other team is 6-7-1?

How does it work then?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

ilpt4u

Quote from: Beltway on December 10, 2019, 08:38:11 PM
Quote from: oscar on December 10, 2019, 05:52:06 PM
What about when one team is 7-7-0 and the other team is 6-7-1?

How does it work then?
7-7-0 is already .500. Winning next game is 1 game over .500. Losing next game is 1 game under .500. Tying next game is maintaining .500

6-7-1 is 1/2 a game below .500, as the NFL views Ties as functional equivalents to 1/2 a Win in the standings (and 1/2 a Loss). Winning next game attains .500. Losing next game drops to 1.5 games below .500. Tying next game, I think, would be 1 game below .500, as it is functionally equivalent to being 7-8

thspfc

With the Eagles' win last night, the chances of there being a losing division champion took a big hit. PHI and DAL play each other, so there's 7 wins (theoretically  :-D) , and then they both have the Redskins left (and the Eagles have the Giants). It looks like 8-8 is the worst it will be.

Beltway

Quote from: thspfc on December 10, 2019, 08:51:31 PM
With the Eagles' win last night, the chances of there being a losing division champion took a big hit. PHI and DAL play each other, so there's 7 wins (theoretically  :-D) , and then they both have the Redskins left (and the Eagles have the Giants). It looks like 8-8 is the worst it will be.
I see that Dallas and Philadelphia are each 6-7 now.

The 2010-2011 Seattle Seahawks made the NFL playoffs with a losing record of 7 wins and 9 losses.  They were the first NFL team to make the playoffs with a losing record in a non-strike season.

Playoff finish
Won Wild Card Playoffs (Saints) 41—36
Lost Divisional Playoffs (at Bears) 24—35

(Robert Coté, 2002)

ilpt4u

The 2014 Carolina Panthers were the second, winning the NFC South @ 7-8-1

Those Panthers defeated the Cardinals on Wild Card Weekend, then lost to the Seahawks on Divisional Weekend

Eagles or Cowboys could be the 3rd

NFL should change the Postseason Qualification standards...Losing Regular Season record should disqualify a Division Winner, and a 3rd Wild Card team qualified in their stead

A losing record Division Champ can still hang their Division Championship Banner, but its silly to put a losing team in the SuperBowl Tournament. I think it happening a 3rd time in the span of a decade would be enough to discuss the change in Postseason Qualification

Beltway

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 10, 2019, 09:56:13 PM
The 2014 Carolina Panthers were the second, winning the NFC South @ 7-8-1
Those Panthers defeated the Cardinals on Wild Card Weekend, then lost to the Seahawks on Divisional Weekend
Eagles or Cowboys could be the 3rd
NFL should change the Postseason Qualification standards...Losing Regular Season record should disqualify a Division Winner, and a 3rd Wild Card team qualified in their stead
A losing record Division Champ can still hang their Division Championship Banner, but its silly to put a losing team in the SuperBowl Tournament. I think it happening a 3rd time in the span of a decade would be enough to discuss the change in Postseason Qualification

I think you have a good idea there, but I would have to give that team a lot of credit with their weak regular season record, if they could win the next 3 games and be the Super Bowl champ.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

ilpt4u

Quote from: Beltway on December 10, 2019, 10:12:39 PM
I think you have a good idea there, but I would have to give that team a lot of credit with their weak regular season record, if they could win the next 3 games and be the Super Bowl champ.
I think that would be awful for not just the NFL, but Football overall

Would make a mockery of what it means to be SuperBowl/World Champion

Beltway

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 10, 2019, 10:53:31 PM
With such a weak regular season record, that would be highly improbable.

What about an 8-8 record?  A non-winning record.  Should they be excluded?  There have been a few of them.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

formulanone

Quote from: Beltway on December 10, 2019, 11:11:30 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 10, 2019, 10:53:31 PM
With such a weak regular season record, that would be highly improbable.

What about an 8-8 record?  A non-winning record.  Should they be excluded?  There have been a few of them.

Cardinals were 8-8 with a strong second half and a late push to get to Super Bowl XLIII a decade ago.

Giants had a 9-7 record heading into the playoffs and still managed to win Super Bowl XLVI.

But I pity a 11-win team getting the axe in a strong conference, but that's also been just as rare.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.