News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akotchi

Also a bit of an error on the New Jersey Turnpike (hope I got the info right)
[/quote]

Most motorists do not even realize that the I-276 designation disappears (or starts, depending on direction) on the Delaware River Turnpike Bridge (PA/NJ State Line).
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

agentsteel53

really?  there are definitely New Jersey I-276 shields in existence.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 29, 2009, 09:18:51 AM
really?  there are definitely New Jersey I-276 shields in existence.

I always thought I-276 continued to the N. J. Turnpike.

But, in a few years it won't matter.  When the I-95/PA Turnpike exit is completed that section will be signed I-95.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

There is no official mileage (Route Log Finder List) within the state of New Jersey, which corroborates the fact that Interstate 276 ends at the Delaware River Bridge. The signs on the N.J. Turnpike that reflect Interstate 276 were newer installs (early 2000s?). They probably included the designation as a convenience as Interstate 276 has gained recognition with replacement of original button copy signs along the PA Turnpike.

ComputerGuy

US 80 doesn't end in San Deigo anymore. (US 80 east end in Georgia)

Voyager

In Sacramento the sign for US 50's other end used to say Ocean City, MD 3073 miles. The sign in MD said Sacramento, CA, 3037 miles. I'm pretty sure the latter was correct and they changed the signs.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

akotchi

Quote from: aaroads on January 29, 2009, 05:25:15 PM
There is no official mileage (Route Log Finder List) within the state of New Jersey, which corroborates the fact that Interstate 276 ends at the Delaware River Bridge. The signs on the N.J. Turnpike that reflect Interstate 276 were newer installs (early 2000s?). They probably included the designation as a convenience as Interstate 276 has gained recognition with replacement of original button copy signs along the PA Turnpike.

The guide signs on the Turnpike that show I-276 went up when the U.S. 130 interchange was rebuilt.  The signs also show U.S. 130 because of the new access ramps.  (Previousloy, they showed only "Penn Turnpike.")Trailblazers along the Turnpike, now pretty old, all show "TO" banners.  The last eastbound mention of I-276 is on the Bristol entrance (last exit/entrance in Pa.), while the first westbound mention (aside from the mainline NJ Turnpike signing) is right out of the first mainline toll plaza in Pa.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

WillWeaverRVA

VA 252 doesn't end there. Neither would I-252, if it existed.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Bryant5493

^^ Yeah, it looks like the folks didn't know whether the sign was supposed to be for an Interstate or for a state route.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 02, 2009, 04:47:20 PM
that is an magnificently terrible sign - can we use it in the AARoads shield gallery?

You'd need to contact Froggie or Mapmikey of the VA Highways Project for that, I didn't take the photo (though I wish I did).
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

WillWeaverRVA

Well, on another note, today I noticed that there is a new speed limit sign facing the wrong direction on I-64 eastbound near the US 250 Short Pump exit. I thought I was seeing things until I looked in my rear view mirror and saw "SPEED LIMIT 65". It seems that it was mounted that way; it wasn't hit or otherwise forced into that position like a "Stop Ahead" sign on the off-ramp to VA 197 from I-195 in Richmond (it faces left for some reason, and VDOT hasn't fixed it yet despite doing work on the gantry nearby on several occasions)
Will Weaver

mahaasma

Some interesting signs from Wisconsin.

Interesting setup here. . .this is on the north side of Eau Claire.

They made a mistake on this new sign just of US-14 in Janesville.  I-90 is an east-west highway, not north-south.  A few months later I found it corrected; see below.

Below is another interesting sign near Poynette, Wisconsin.

DanTheMan414

Quote from: exit322 on January 24, 2009, 09:41:06 AM
I don't have pictures, but Ohio's been recently replacing a number of US signs (30 and 250 in particular, as that's where I'm at) with OH signs.  I know in Wilmot there's a US 250 intersection sign on 62 that's in an Ohio shield (it us US 30 and US 250), and the JCT 30/250 sign on OH 3 northbound near Wooster has both route in Ohio shields.

There is a photo of the OH 30/OH 250 signs you alluded to on the Ohio Sign Goofs page I maintain:

http://www.gribblenation.net/ohio/goofs/

Note that interchanging US and OH shields is a frequent happenstance throughout the Buckeye State...especially along OH 103.  :-P

akotchi

Seems pretty common also to see 3-digit route numbers in 2-digit shields, both interstate and U.S.  Erroneous, perhaps, only to designers like me . . .

Alex

Quote from: akotchi on February 04, 2009, 01:04:43 PM
Seems pretty common also to see 3-digit route numbers in 2-digit shields, both interstate and U.S.  Erroneous, perhaps, only to designers like me . . .

It became the Texas standard up until very recently (from the end of button copy signing until perhaps 2007), to put 3di's within 2di shields and 2di shields within 3di shields. Thankfully they are starting to get it right again.

mefailenglish

I took this in March 2008.  That should be NORTH US 281/287.  It appears this got fixed a couple of months later:
https://www.aaroads.com/texas/texas080/us-082_wb_281_287_nb_exit_436a_01.jpg

Marc

There is a sign along I-10 eastbound in Columbus, TX that claims the next exit is "4/10 Miles" away. They didn't even bother to reduce the fraction to 2/5! I wish I had a pic.

WillWeaverRVA

VA 239 ends here, not up ahead. If you were to try to proceed from here, you'd likely be explaining your error to some Navy personnel with automatic weapons. It looks like the END tag was put on as an afterthought.

On another note, the American Map street atlas for the Lower Hampton Roads region misidentifies VA 239 between US 17 and VA 337 (near the Jordan Bridge) as part of VA 337.
Will Weaver

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on February 06, 2009, 03:47:44 AM
On another note, the American Map street atlas for the Lower Hampton Roads region misidentifies VA 239 between US 17 and VA 337 (near the Jordan Bridge) as part of VA 337.

Really? They usually are fairly accurate around here... Though I've learned to never trust them, and always just check routes myself.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

bugo

Quote from: US71 on January 22, 2009, 07:59:25 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 22, 2009, 07:52:00 PM
wait, I thought that south of Missouri, it was signed exclusively OK-20/AR-43... with the last Missouri shields showing up at the state line.

It's complicated  :crazy:

Technically, it's OK 20/AR 43 since the road runs (mostly) along the OK/AR State Line. BUT it appears as if someone (Missouri?) has posted MO 43 going north (though the general sign assembly is from Oklahoma).

That's what it looked like during the circle era.

bugo

A couple:

(This sign has been corrected)

US71

This is in Stilwell, OK. Last I looked, it's still there

This is in Sulphur Springs, AR just outside Pine Bluff.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alex

This is a sign goof I just remembered and wish I could have seen myself. Its from Oscar Voss' website: www.alaskaroads.com//signgoofs.htm

US71

US71

Along US 169 north of Kansas City

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.