News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

epzik8

I caught the Google Street View car making rounds in my dad's neighborhood back in September 2013 at an intersection a couple of blocks from my dad's house. Sure enough, the Street View photos of that intersection from that date clearly show the car I was driving at the moments each photo at the intersection was taken.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

D-Dey65

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 15, 2016, 05:23:40 AM
It might be a good idea to post screenshots of anything really unusual that you find instead of just a link. Some of the images on previous pages (one of an accident, one of cars driving through flooding) have been taken down.
I'm not so sure I want to do that. I saw a dead dog on the side of the road at Northbound Exit 59 on I-15 in Montana.

bmorrill

There's a spoof video on YouTube of a woman peeing by the side of the road when a Google Street View car drives by.

jay8g

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

D-Dey65

Years ago when I was creating articles for Wikipedia on the trolley stops of the Media-Sharon Hill Line, I thought I saw something suspicious going on at one of the stops. It looked like a mugging. I sent an e-mail to the Media police an inquired about it, and they said it was just two people waiting for the SEPTA Route 101 trolley to come.

freebrickproductions

Also, it's worth noting that Google Street View turns 10 today. I wonder what's the oldest street view image on Google Maps?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

CNGL-Leudimin

I know where some of the oldest Spanish imagery is. It turned 9 a couple weeks ago. Proof. Since then the freeway has been widened, and what used to be the Eastbound direction are now local lanes, while what used to be the Westbound ones are now the Eastbound through lanes.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

D-Dey65

Tonight, I was looking at a scan of the Queens Village MTA Bus Depot to see if I want to get a picture of it for Wikipedia or not. After checking it out, I decided to look a little further east long the LIRR Main Line. I finally got to Floral Park LIRR station and I saw this lost little doggie on the northwest corner of Atlantic and Carnation Avenues.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.724043,-73.7078572,3a,75y,331.14h,77.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1semzhgq0LnPRPgpME8-lzEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

:paranoid:  :-(

SignGeek101

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 30, 2017, 01:15:22 PM
Also, it's worth noting that Google Street View turns 10 today. I wonder what's the oldest street view image on Google Maps?

I think late 2006 is the earliest stuff. The oldest I have seen (from a very short look) is September 2007.

https://goo.gl/maps/ByadsUXNDUo

CNGL-Leudimin

I cannot find any late 2006 pics, perhaps they have removed it. I remember the first time I spotted Street View, it was mid 2007 and I browsed several streets of San Francisco. But the oldest imagery I can find now is from late 2007. Funnily enough, this is also the first place where I found 2017 imagery.

Edit: I've found some July 2007 love along I-35W just North of Minneapolis: https://www.google.es/maps/@45.0100176,-93.1950832,3a,75y,73.03h,98.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOnK3AqdeDz_bMF0MyaDFng!2e0!7i3328!8i1664
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kdelrio

Clinched interstates: 410 (TX), 225, 35, 35E (MN, TX), 35W (MN, TX), 135, 235 (IA, OK), 335, 535, 635, 129, 229, 37, 44, 271, 76 (NE-CO), 88 (IL), 155 (IL), 470 (KS), 170 (MO), 172, 180 (WY), 280 (IA-IL, NJ), 380 (IA, PA), 480 (IA-NE), 680 (IA-NE), 190 (SD), 194 (ND), 394, 494, 694, 794

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Michael

Yesterday, I came across a stoplight east of Syracuse where the Street View car caught both the yellow and red lights lit.  I'm not sure if this is due to shutter speed, or the light being an incandescent and fading as the yellow went out.

Hurricane Rex

Apparently street view is also ski view as well.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on December 14, 2017, 12:25:07 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 14, 2017, 11:14:02 AM
Is it just me, or does this seem like a bad idea?

https://goo.gl/maps/1sZsi1ToD3K2

Depends, what's the expected end result?

I think the funny part is that he's playing on his phone.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Michael on December 27, 2017, 06:56:57 PM
Yesterday, I came across a stoplight east of Syracuse where the Street View car caught both the yellow and red lights lit.  I'm not sure if this is due to shutter speed, or the light being an incandescent and fading as the yellow went out.
Looks to be that the yellows are incandescent and the red is LED, so the red was already completely on when the yellow light was turning off.

(They/Them)

Hurricane Rex

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

CNGL-Leudimin

It has existed for several years now. I remember one ski resort in my area had it, but somehow it's gone.

kphoger

Yep, there has been ski view at Loveland (CO) since 2012.
Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Michael on December 27, 2017, 06:56:57 PM

A shot before shows the light as just Yellow, and the shot after as just Red.  The camera captured the light at just the right moment to see both lights lit.  Crazy but cool!

I often see on walk signals that count down that it'll get to 0, then the 'walk' signal will show, with both the 0 and Walk showing at the same time. Normally not a permitted function; it's just a half-second overlap of both features of the sign.

SectorZ

Not Google SV, but in 2015 I was on a bike ride in Carlisle MA and some vehicle drove by me that was just like Google's for streetview, but it wasn't Google and I didn't see the name.

At the time, I was helping a rather large turtle out of the road that was attempting to sun itself into a future speed bump. It probably made for a bizarre visual.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.