News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-165 Kentucky (William H. Natcher Green River Parkway)

Started by Grzrd, February 24, 2015, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

If no one gets a picture by the time of the Memphis meet, and if I go, I will be able to get one. I'll definitely be on the route between I-65 and US 68 either going to Memphis, or coming home.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

jnewkirk77

Mile markers have been changed out northbound as far north as Kentucky 69.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think the Audubon Parkway is the next Kentucky Parkway that will join the Interstate System (possibly as Interstate 369)?

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 20, 2019, 03:11:58 PM
Does anyone think the Audubon Parkway is the next Kentucky Parkway that will join the Interstate System (possibly as Interstate 369)?

The "Future I-69 Spur" signs were actually removed from the Audubon a few years ago. And it doesn't actually connect to I-69 yet. I-69 ends at US 41 (formerly KY 425) just south of the Audubon.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: hbelkins on March 19, 2019, 03:21:19 PM
From the KYTC District 3 page.

Let's see who between Google Maps/Bing Maps/Open StreetMap/Mapquest will mention I-165 first? ;)

hbelkins

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 20, 2019, 04:49:09 PM

Let's see who between Google Maps/Bing Maps/Open StreetMap/Mapquest will mention I-165 first? ;)

Google keeps mislabeling the portion of the Pennyrile Parkway south of I-69 as I-169, despite repeated requests by KYTC to correct the error.

Don't believe everything you see on Google. They incorrectly list a rest area phone number as the direct line to my desk, and again, repeated requests to correct the error go unheeded.

Roadsguy

Quote from: mvak36 on March 07, 2019, 09:27:58 AM
Quote from: 2trailertrucker on March 07, 2019, 05:30:17 AM
Not all of the Natcher is being converted to I-165:

Drivers should look for new exit numbers at 11 interchanges. A section of the Natcher Parkway from the I-65 interchange to U.S. 231 Scottsville Road will not be a part of the I-165 designation due to federal guidelines. It will remain numbered as KY 9007. The Plano Road interchange will be renumbered to Exit 0.

From the WBKO link

That section looks like it's just east of I-65. If I had to guess, that's because it doesn't end at a road that's a part of the NHS.

That part of US 231 is part of the NHS, though, according to the FHWA map.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2019, 07:44:47 PM

Google keeps mislabeling the portion of the Pennyrile Parkway south of I-69 as I-169, despite repeated requests by KYTC to correct the error.

Don't believe everything you see on Google. They incorrectly list a rest area phone number as the direct line to my desk, and again, repeated requests to correct the error go unheeded.

As does Wikipedia, they also have I-169 even though it is not signed yet. (Though they note it is unsigned.)

Roadsguy

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on March 20, 2019, 09:48:46 PM

As does Wikipedia, they also have I-169 even though it is not signed yet. (Though they note it is unsigned.)

Though I do notice Google currently doesn't have any I-169 shields on the Pennyrile Parkway. If you go to report a problem and select the entire road, Interstate 169 isn't even an option. It seems they finally listened.

Meanwhile, OSM shows both I-169 and I-165 along their entire lengths.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

sparker

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 20, 2019, 11:41:47 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on March 20, 2019, 09:48:46 PM

Though I do notice Google currently doesn't have any I-169 shields on the Pennyrile Parkway. If you go to report a problem and select the entire road, Interstate 169 isn't even an option. It seems they finally listened.

Meanwhile, OSM shows both I-169 and I-165 along their entire lengths.

Rand McNally's 2019 US road atlas also shows I-169 on the Pennyrile.  The error's gone mainstream! :pan:

jnewkirk77

So much for the thing being done in 2 weeks ... they still don't have all the mile markers done, and no other signs have been installed or modified from the WKP north.  Hope these guys aren't getting paid by the hour!

roadman65

So this means that I-66 is dead in KY?  Being the part from I-65 to the WP (Western Kentucky Pky) was to be part of that proposal and now I-165 is applied (and approved by the feds) I guess it really is dead now.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2019, 12:06:32 AM
So this means that I-66 is dead in KY?  Being the part from I-65 to the WP (Western Kentucky Pky) was to be part of that proposal and now I-165 is applied (and approved by the feds) I guess it really is dead now.

Maybe.......maybe not.  It's interesting that the only legal definition for I-66's KY route specified that it would serve Russellville, Hopkinsville, and Benton -- three locations that would be bypassed by a Natcher/WKY routing.  It's more than likely that the parkway-based I-66 alternative was prompted by the I-69 precedent that placed that route on the parkways rather than on a more straightline alignment between Henderson and the Purchase Parkway.   At this time it doesn't seem as if any move is afoot to engage in any development along the US 68/KY 80 corridor except for the Somerset bypass and spot improvements to the Hal Rogers segment.  Besides the Natcher upgrade work, KY has the 6-laning of I-65 to complete before significant new projects can or should be considered.  I'd consider I-66 dormant rather than irreparably dead.   

Revive 755

Since there's a project building stubs at the KY 80/KY 413 interchange with "future SNB I-66" on the map (see Page 37/96 of https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/policy-initiatives/327856/build-2018-fact-sheets.pdf), I think I-66 is best classified as 'mostly dormant'.

The Ghostbuster

If Interstate 66 ever sees the light of day in Kentucky, I'd probably die of shock.

jnewkirk77

We're getting closer. The exits are all renumbered from the WKP north, and the BGSes at the WKP have their new shields. Gov. Bevin and company announced earlier in the week that the new permanent signage should be up by early June.

As much as I like the new designation, I'll just be happy when they finish the construction work they started last fall!  Do we have a timeline on the interchange rebuilds yet?

WKDAVE

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on March 28, 2019, 01:30:08 PM
We're getting closer. The exits are all renumbered from the WKP north, and the BGSes at the WKP have their new shields. Gov. Bevin and company announced earlier in the week that the new permanent signage should be up by early June.

As much as I like the new designation, I'll just be happy when they finish the construction work they started last fall!  Do we have a timeline on the interchange rebuilds yet?

State Budget Plan has 2021 when they will start construction on replacing all 3 toll booth interchanges.

The Ghostbuster

Shouldn't they have upgraded the toll booth interchanges before putting up the Interstate shields? That is how I would have done it.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 02, 2019, 03:45:01 PM
Shouldn't they have upgraded the toll booth interchanges before putting up the Interstate shields? That is how I would have done it.

Probably some local pressure (likely from Owensboro) to get the road signed a.s.a.p.  Squeaky wheel and all that!

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on April 02, 2019, 04:11:46 PM

Probably some local pressure (likely from Owensboro) to get the road signed a.s.a.p.  Squeaky wheel and all that!

Rep. Brett Guthrie and Sen. Rand Paul were both very much in favor of this. Wouldn't be surprised if they influenced FHWA's decision to go ahead and sign it as an interstate.

If Breezewood can be allowed to exist on the system, then a toll booth cloverleaf is hardly anything to get worked up over, especially considering that the relatively low traffic volumes at those exits pretty much negates any issues with the weaving involved.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: WKDAVE on April 01, 2019, 04:59:05 PM
State Budget Plan has 2021 when they will start construction on replacing all 3 toll booth interchanges.

Thanks!

jnewkirk77

Quote from: sparker on April 02, 2019, 04:11:46 PM

Bowling Green has more clout than Owensboro - and it shows, since more of their signage work has been done than has been up this way.

The Ghostbuster

Google Maps still shows the whole route as KY 9007. Interstate 169 isn't marked on the southern portion of the Pennyrile either.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.