News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Another hello from Michigan!

Started by getemngo, July 27, 2009, 01:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getemngo

Hi!  Sam Scholtens here, from the minuscule Middleville, MI, just outside of Grand Rapids.  I come from GreatLakesRoads.  Roadgeeking has been a passion of mine since I could read and write, maybe earlier.  Because of that, I'm looking at the possibility of a roadgeeking-related major and career...maybe GIS.  (I'm 20.)

My roadgeek interests include signs and signals, interchanges, and driving former/abandoned highway alignments.  My roadgeek friends are also trying to drag me into county clinching.  :)  Non-roadgeek interests that may be of...uh, interest include current and former restaurant chains, old retail chains, dead malls, urban exploration (not that I've done any), and state highpointing.  So far I only have Michigan, but Mt. Arvon was quite a fun drive!

Good to see some familiar names and I'm glad to be on board!
~ Sam from Michigan

Chris

Hi there  :cool:

got any Dutch ancestry? Scholtens is a Dutch name  :colorful:

Hellfighter

Welcome from the Detroit Area!  :clap:

njroadhorse

NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

BigMattFromTexas

Welcome to the forum, from Texas

rawmustard

Quote from: Chris on July 27, 2009, 01:50:06 PM

The Grand Rapids and Holland areas (and the places in between) are rife with people of Dutch heritage. Tulip Time is actually one of the latter's premiere festivals.

Greybear

Welcome aboard from the great state of Iowa.

getemngo

Quote from: Chris on July 27, 2009, 01:50:06 PM

Yes, my dad's side of the family is 100% Dutch, as are a lot of people in my part of Michigan.  Still nobody around here can pronounce my name correctly.   :banghead:

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!
~ Sam from Michigan

DanTheMan414

Welcome to the forum, Sam!  I hope you enjoy your experience here!

Chris

Quote from: getemngo on July 27, 2009, 04:28:02 PM
Yes, my dad's side of the family is 100% Dutch, as are a lot of people in my part of Michigan.  Still nobody around here can pronounce my name correctly.   :banghead:

Well, I am Dutch, so there's at least one person who can pronounce your name correctly :)

I know the "Sch" is quite a pickle for many languages. Germans can't pronounce it either.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.