News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-95 Md. ETLs nearing completion inside the beltway

Started by talllguy, June 24, 2014, 10:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOneKEA

I traveled along the lanes in the northbound direction and they were very well used. It will be interesting to see how bad the traffic jam is north of the MD 43 interchange when the ETLs merge back into the main lanes.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 07, 2014, 05:41:40 PM
What were the toll amounts?

Zero. The MdTA appears to have a new policy of not charging tolls for the first few days that a new toll facility is open. I suspect that they do so to encourage people to "try it out" and to also verify that the E-ZPass systems are working correctly.

davewiecking

Good point on it being free for an intro period. Same happened with the first 2 stages of the ICC. Didn't check to see if I was charged for driving the last link to US1 the week it opened.

1995hoo

Quote from: TheOneKEA on December 07, 2014, 06:09:20 PM

Zero. The MdTA appears to have a new policy of not charging tolls for the first few days that a new toll facility is open. I suspect that they do so to encourage people to "try it out" and to also verify that the E-ZPass systems are working correctly.

Ah, yes, you're right, I did read that in the news reports saying the lanes would open, but I'd forgotten. Thanks.

cpzilliacus

Many similarities between the Transurban HOV/Toll lanes on I-495 in Fairfax County, Virginia and the new Express Toll Lanes (ETLs) on I-95 in Baltimore County, Maryland (and short sections in Baltimore City on I-95 and I-895).

Some differences:

• A "hard" Jersey barrier between the managed lanes and the "free" lanes on the ETLs, while the Transurban lanes use flexible fiberglass barriers (I much prefer that "hard" barrier).
  • The I-95 ETLs are not as long as the I-495 HOV/Toll lanes, and for now there is only one toll point (but MdTA has done the preparatory work for a toll point between I-695 and Md. 43 if the connection to and from I-695 is provided) - the Transurban lanes have quite a few access and egress points.
  • North of Md. 43, the northbound ETLs narrow down to one lane, but then becomes the left lane of four, and the right (unmanaged) lanes lose one.
  • As has been discussed above, there is no access between the I-95 ETLs and I-695 - the Transurban lanes provide nearly full access  and egress to I-66 and most of the movements between Va. 267 (Dulles Toll Road) and the Dulles Access Road.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: New express lanes in Maryland may help D.C. area drivers in future holiday getaways

QuoteDrivers heading off for holiday getaways know they're not home free after leaving the Washington area.

QuoteThere's always somebody else's traffic jam ahead.

QuoteOne of those slowdowns usually occurs on Interstate 95 just north of Baltimore. But motorists leaving the region for their December holidays may find a bit of relief that wasn't available at Thanksgiving.

QuoteThese eight-mile-long express lanes will be most helpful to commuters who live in the Baltimore suburbs. But drivers northbound from the capital region also might benefit during peak times, whether or not they choose to pay the toll for traveling in the new lanes.

QuoteWhen a highway gets widened, the traffic often eases for all drivers – at least, at first. But drivers who are feeling flush may choose the all-electronic tolling lanes for the surety of a quicker, less-stressful trip through what's still likely to be heavy traffic.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: TheOneKEA on December 07, 2014, 05:26:05 PM
I traveled along the lanes in the northbound direction and they were very well used. It will be interesting to see how bad the traffic jam is north of the MD 43 interchange when the ETLs merge back into the main lanes.
The ETL gets its own lane (the second lane drops at 43). The rightmost lane of 95 then merges.

mtantillo

Quote from: Alps on December 09, 2014, 07:31:53 PM
Quote from: TheOneKEA on December 07, 2014, 05:26:05 PM
The ETL gets its own lane (the second lane drops at 43). The rightmost lane of 95 then merges.

I like this design MUCH better than where the ETL lane ends, like at the north end of the 495 Express Lanes in McLean.

mtantillo

Starting Saturday, the toll rates will be:

$1.40 - base rate
$1.75 - peak rate (note that there are a couple of short "peaks" on the weekends too, based on traffic volumes)
$0.70 - overnight (11 PM to 5 AM).

1995hoo

Quote from: mtantillo on December 10, 2014, 10:17:35 AM

$1.40 - base rate
$1.75 - peak rate (note that there are a couple of short "peaks" on the weekends too, based on traffic volumes)

Thanks. Seems well worth it, especially at this time of year going north when thru traffic may wish to avoid the shoppers headed to White Marsh.

I'd forgotten they were doing a fixed toll rate schedule, unlike Virginia's continuously-variable tolls on the HO/T lanes. If I'd remembered that I would have just looked it up instead of asking here. Oh well.

mtantillo

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 10, 2014, 10:19:22 AM
Quote from: mtantillo on December 10, 2014, 10:17:35 AM

$1.40 - base rate

Thanks. Seems well worth it, especially at this time of year going north when thru traffic may wish to avoid the shoppers headed to White Marsh.

I'd forgotten they were doing a fixed toll rate schedule, unlike Virginia's continuously-variable tolls on the HO/T lanes. If I'd remembered that I would have just looked it up instead of asking here. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to them, because in some months, a $1.40 trip in the Express Lanes may be the trigger to avoiding Maryland's $1.50 monthly E-ZPass fee. You need 3 transactions in a month. If I do a trip up I-95, the Harbor Tunnel is two transactions, but the freebee over the Hatem Bridge does not count.

jeffandnicole

Interesting that 3 very different projects in the I-95 corridor in 3 states (VA, MD, NJ) that result in increased capacity are all opening up within a span of about about 45 days.

mrsman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2014, 09:05:37 PM
Interesting that 3 very different projects in the I-95 corridor in 3 states (VA, MD, NJ) that result in increased capacity are all opening up within a span of about about 45 days.

Yes it is.  Just a few days ago, I took a trip to Central NJ for a friend's wedding.  I had the benefit of the free ETLs and the widened NJ Tpke.  The widened Turnpike really made a dramatic difference.  In order to see the project, I used the Mount Holly entrance onto the NJTP and drove on the NJTP north to I-195 (instead of my usual practice of entering NJTP at Bordentown to use I-295 to save on tolls).  The new roadway is beautiful.

I almost never experience traffic on I-95 north of Baltimore for the times when I travel in that area, so I will probably never use the ETLs on a regular basis.  Although, I did appreciate that there was numerous clear signage that the ETLs do not connect with I-695.

cpzilliacus

Photos taken of the ETLs the first day or two they were open.  From I-895 north to Md. 43 at White Marsh.  You do not need a Facebook account to see these.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10204415266013848.1073741850.1596953667&type=1&l=efd93563d7

MASTERNC

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 21, 2014, 11:44:41 PM
Photos taken of the ETLs the first day or two they were open.  From I-895 north to Md. 43 at White Marsh.  You do not need a Facebook account to see these.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10204415266013848.1073741850.1596953667&type=1&l=efd93563d7

Anyone else notice the speed limit in the regular lanes is now 65 north of the I-695 interchange?  It used to be 55 until just past White Marsh.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 22, 2014, 08:46:59 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 21, 2014, 11:44:41 PM

Anyone else notice the speed limit in the regular lanes is now 65 north of the I-695 interchange?  It used to be 55 until just past White Marsh.

I suppose it was 55 at least in part because of the construction that was going on there for so many years.

The speed limit on I-95 headed north from the Capital Beltway (I-495) becomes 65 almost immediately.  Headed south from I-695 it becomes 65 as soon as traffic is clear of the ramp entering from I-695 Outer Loop.   So this is (now) consistent with the other parts of I-95 in Maryland.

jwags

Just got back from a trip to Baltimore and I drove the new lanes a few times. Got home and checked my I-Pass (E-ZPass) bill and saw I was never charged for driving in the new lanes even though there was a toll posted at the entrance point. I did get charged, however, for using the tunnel and one accidental drive on MD 200. Has anyone else not been charged?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jwags on January 07, 2015, 08:51:29 PM
Just got back from a trip to Baltimore and I drove the new lanes a few times. Got home and checked my I-Pass (E-ZPass) bill and saw I was never charged for driving in the new lanes even though there was a toll posted at the entrance point. I did get charged, however, for using the tunnel and one accidental drive on MD 200. Has anyone else not been charged?

The first week of operation was free, if that was when you were in Maryland.

jwags

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 07, 2015, 10:34:01 PM
Quote from: jwags on January 07, 2015, 08:51:29 PM

The first week of operation was free, if that was when you were in Maryland.

I knew that. I was not in MD at that time. The three times I used the lanes the posted price was $1.75 but I was never charged. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

02 Park Ave

Are the ETLs being kept open during W.S. Octavia tonight?
C-o-H

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

02 Park Ave

I thought that the traffic volume would be way down tonight and so snow removal operations would be concentrated on the GP lanes.
C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.