U.S. 301 toll road project in Delaware

Started by Alex, March 22, 2009, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on December 14, 2015, 07:44:27 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 14, 2015, 04:49:10 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 14, 2015, 11:39:09 AM
However, they still have those bonds to pay off.  So until they get several years down that road (pun intended), it'll be a crimp on their bonding capacity.

MdTA's bonding capacity is set by state statute, not by the "natural" ability of the authority to pay back bondholders and keep everything well-maintained out of toll revenues.  Not the only time that the Maryland General Assembly has interfered with MdTA's finances (they were required by the legislature to remove the JFK Highway ramp tolls after the Northeast Expressway [as the JFK was originally named] bonds were paid-off in the early 1980's).

Which just reinforces my comment even more.  Before MdTA can go off on another big project, they have to pay down some of the ICC and I-95 ETL, lest they hit their statutory bonding cap.

Or the General Assembly could just remove that cap and let the ratings agencies like Fitch provide guidance - as long as the debt that MdTA issues is "non-recourse" (not backed by the "full faith and credit" of Maryland (and Maryland's taxing powers), it is not clear to me why there needs to be a limit).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Henry

QuoteShovels are at the ready for Delaware's biggest construction project in years.

DelDOT officials say work on two major portions of a new $400 million U.S. 301 toll road will begin no later than Jan. 11.

Project manager Javier Torrijos says they haven't finalized a detailed schedule with contractors on the ground, but basic work will need to be done along the new roadway.

"One of the first things, obviously, in any contract, is to start clearing trees and grubbing so that you can start your embankment, your dirt moving operations, so that's definitely going to be the order of business," Torrijos said.

Much of the work will also take place off of existing roadways.

"So it's not going to be impacting traffic," said Torrijos. "The areas where it will impact traffic are, for example, like your local roads like Bunker Hill Road, Summit Bridge Road, some of those roads where we'll be building a bridge over top of those roadways."

Temporary road closures and detours will be announced at later dates. Hyett's Corner Road in Middletown will be among those closed for the majority of the project.

The new U.S. 301 connecter will be a four-lane toll highway running from Delaware-Maryland line, eventually joining with Route 1 just below the William Roth Bridge.

Five other remaining portions of the projects are either awaiting DelDOT to award contracts or go out to bid.

Torrijos expects construction to be completed by the end of December 2018.
I can't wait to hear about its opening in three years from now!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alex4897

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 23, 2015, 10:05:36 AM
Delaware Public Media: U.S. 301 construction set for January

Is it just me or does their DelDOT-logo's background look a bit, European in nature..?

👉😎👉

Pete from Boston

Looks to me like they're in the textile business.

US 41

Quote from: Alex4897 on December 23, 2015, 01:53:51 PM

Is it just me or does their DelDOT-logo's background look a bit, European in nature..?

I think the road itself looks kind of European because of the guardrail in the narrow median, which seems to pretty common in Europe.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US 41 on December 23, 2015, 02:21:11 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on December 23, 2015, 01:53:51 PM

I think the road itself looks kind of European because of the guardrail in the narrow median, which seems to pretty common in Europe.

Not to mention the white left shoulder line, and skip line space that appears to be 1:1.

ARMOURERERIC

How much pressure will this place on Maryland to upgrade 301 back to at least the south(east) US 50 split?

froggie

Quote from: ARMOURERERICHow much pressure will this place on Maryland to upgrade 301 back to at least the south(east) US 50 split?

Minimal, given that:

A) 301 is already a limited-access expressway through there.
B) there are no traffic signals.
C) the busiest crossing (at MD 213) already is an interchange.
D) traffic volumes are fairly light...once you're past MD 19 heading north, daily volumes are no higher than 13K.  Plenty of capacity available.

mrsman

As far as renumbering highways go, I would hope that they do no renumber US 301 onto a toll road.  Traffic should be directed to take the toll road with a BGS that reads:

US 301 North             DE-NN to DE-1 and I-95
Newark                           Wilmington/Philadelphia

Where DE-NN is a new state highway number.  The new number should be an unused number, as low as possible to signify that this is an important route.

Also, US 301 should be extended along DE-896 all the way to I-95.

froggie

Too late, mrsman.  DelDOT received approval from AASHTO in 2011 to sign the toll road as US 301.

Roadsguy

Quote from: froggie on December 23, 2015, 08:20:44 PM
D) traffic volumes are fairly light...once you're past MD 19 heading north, daily volumes are no higher than 13K.  Plenty of capacity available.

But wouldn't the 301 toll road bring more traffic to 301 in MD by connecting it better?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

froggie

Maybe a few thousand, but not as much as some may think.  Two things that will limit its utility to long-distance travelers are the tolls on the new roadway and congestion at both the Bay Bridge and on DE 1.

jeffandnicole

Maybe Delaware should be worrying a bit more about moving traffic between 295 & 95.  One of the biggest delays in the entire Northeast/Mid-Atlantic area on Christmas Eve was northbound on 95 to 295 in Delaware, mostly because of all the thru traffic needing to squeeze into the 2 right lanes. 

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 25, 2015, 02:05:11 PM
Maybe Delaware should be worrying a bit more about moving traffic between 295 & 95.  One of the biggest delays in the entire Northeast/Mid-Atlantic area on Christmas Eve was northbound on 95 to 295 in Delaware, mostly because of all the thru traffic needing to squeeze into the 2 right lanes.

Traffic was backed up clear to DE 273 and probably past there at 5 PM, it looked like a nightmare.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on December 25, 2015, 04:53:24 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 25, 2015, 02:05:11 PM

Traffic was backed up clear to DE 273 and probably past there at 5 PM, it looked like a nightmare.

Generally from 896 to the 295 split, which is basically all of 95 In Delaware as far as most people are concerned.  My brother in law who traveled up said it took about an hour thru that stretch.

mariethefoxy

thanksgiving weekend it was like that too, I come off the ramp from DE 1 and all of a sudden I'm like "oh shit" as I see the huge backup of cars.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on December 24, 2015, 08:12:21 AM
Too late, mrsman.  DelDOT received approval from AASHTO in 2011 to sign the toll road as US 301.

As a U.S. route, isn't DelDOT required to sign an Alternate U.S. 301 for traffic in the corridor that does not want to pay the tolls?

froggie

In this case, AASHTO did not make it a requirement.  There's precedent for that as well:  US 51 on the Northwest Tollway (concurrent with I-39/I-90) north of Rockford, IL.

Alex4897

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 05, 2016, 11:14:12 AM
Quote from: froggie on December 24, 2015, 08:12:21 AM

As a U.S. route, isn't DelDOT required to sign an Alternate U.S. 301 for traffic in the corridor that does not want to pay the tolls?

If that were the case, how would an Alternate route loop back remeet its parent since US 301 itself would be ending at DE 1? (instead of running up to meet I-95 which IMO would make more sense, but I digress)
👉😎👉

mrsman

I'd hate to be someone who drives this road with an old map.  You drive on your way to I-95 following US 301 all the way and then you hit this toll booth that you weren't expecting.

I'd think that the old route would still be signed as a way to Newark, DE/

Alps

Quote from: mrsman on January 05, 2016, 05:03:16 PM
I'd hate to be someone who drives this road with an old map.  You drive on your way to I-95 following US 301 all the way and then you hit this toll booth that you weren't expecting.

I'd think that the old route would still be signed as a way to Newark, DE/
In theory it's numbered Alt 301 (at least to DE 71) but no indication if that will be signed at all. Not that that designation would be all that great a help anyway.

Mr_Northside

You drive on your way to I-95 following US 301 all the way and then you hit this toll booth that you weren't expecting.

I would be a little surprised if there wasn't at least a "Last Exit Before Toll" or "Toll Road Ahead", or some warning that you are committing to paying a toll for not turning/exiting off the road when you have a chance.  But you never know, I suppose.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 06, 2016, 03:34:02 PM
You drive on your way to I-95 following US 301 all the way and then you hit this toll booth that you weren't expecting.

I would be a little surprised if there wasn't at least a "Last Exit Before Toll" or "Toll Road Ahead", or some warning that you are committing to paying a toll for not turning/exiting off the road when you have a chance.  But you never know, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure that's a MUTCD requirement.  Delaware's good about signing it on 95 & 1, so I would think they would do it on 301 as well.

Duke87

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 06, 2016, 03:34:02 PM

If I'm reading the plans correctly the last opportunity to exit 301 without paying a toll will be at the intersection with Sassafrass Rd - 2 1/2 miles south of the state line, well outside the bounds of this project, and not DelDOT's responsibility. I wouldn't be surprised if for a while after the completion of the road there was no indication of impending toll heading Northbound.

The shunpike route will be to turn left onto Sassafrass Rd, then turn right onto MD 282 and follow that through to DE 299, which will follow the toll road for a bit before allowing you to turn left onto the former US 301 alignment, which can then be followed into DE 896 to I-95.

Currently this intersection with Sassafrass Rd is a flashing beacon. Will be interesting to see if the completion of the toll road results in an increase in left turning traffic there, thus potentially creating a safety hazard and warrant for signalizing the intersection.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.