News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road Trip Report: Cincinnati to Providence, RI Part 1

Started by JMoses24, May 18, 2014, 09:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoses24

On Thursday, May 15 and Friday, May 16, I took the Greyhound from Cincinnati to Providence, RI. Here is part 1 of a two part report, which will cover everything from Cincinnati through Buffalo, New York.

We started in Cincinnati. I-71 north straight to Columbus. Then OH 315 to the OSU campus to High Street and other local streets to the Columbus Greyhound.

Notes: The construction of the Jeremiah Morrow bridge continues. It was very strange seeing part of the bridge no longer being there. We hit a slowdown north of Wilmington Road, exit 36, due to either an accident or earlier construction. Nothing major to report the rest of the way to the Columbus Greyhound station.

From Columbus: East Main Street to I-71 north. 71N to US 30 E to Wooster.

Notes: I-71 north was torn up north of US 36 to SR 61. There were no workers to be seen at all. I noted a lot of flooded cropland and creeks running high in this and other areas of northeast Ohio.

From Wooster: OH SR 3 to OH SR 585 to OH SR 21 to I-76. I-76 east to Akron.

Notes: Did note some cable rail installation taking place.

From Akron: I-76 East to I-80 East to I-680 East into Youngstown, then double back to OH 711 North to I-80 East to I-79 north to Erie, PA via Meadville.

No major projects on this section on the expressway itself. Mount Everett Road under I-80 is closed for work.

From Erie: PA 290 to I-90 East to I-190 North to downtown Buffalo

Notes: The only construction on this part of the route was on I-90 at Exit 59 for bridge work. Greyhound uses EZ Pass, which means minimal delays. This is good. I at first wondered if they were considering going to AET, because I couldn't see the cash lanes.

Coming later this week: Part two of the outbound and all of the trip back.

vtk

Quote from: JMoses24 on May 18, 2014, 09:03:21 AM
On Thursday, May 15 and Friday, May 16, I took the Greyhound from Cincinnati to Providence, RI. Here is part 1 of a two part report, which will cover everything from Cincinnati through Buffalo, New York.

We started in Cincinnati. I-71 north straight to Columbus. Then OH 315 to the OSU campus to High Street and other local streets to the Columbus Greyhound.

Notes: The construction of the Jeremiah Morrow bridge continues. It was very strange seeing part of the bridge no longer being there. We hit a slowdown north of Wilmington Road, exit 36, due to either an accident or earlier construction. Nothing major to report the rest of the way to the Columbus Greyhound station.

The Columbus greyhound terminal is downtown.  If your bus really went up to campus and then came back down High St, I wonder why.  Did anyone get on or off at OSU?  Maybe the driver missed the 71N ramp at I-70 and didn't realize his mistake for a few miles...

The slowdown north of Wilmington Rd was probably for another bit of construction.  I-71 goes over a minor waterway there, and the bridges are only about 36 to 40 feet wide.  It looks like work is underway to widen them, but I'm not sure by how much.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

JMoses24

Quote from: vtk on May 18, 2014, 01:58:23 PM
Quote from: JMoses24 on May 18, 2014, 09:03:21 AM

The Columbus greyhound terminal is downtown.  If your bus really went up to campus and then came back down High St, I wonder why.  Did anyone get on or off at OSU?  Maybe the driver missed the 71N ramp at I-70 and didn't realize his mistake for a few miles...

The slowdown north of Wilmington Rd was probably for another bit of construction.  I-71 goes over a minor waterway there, and the bridges are only about 36 to 40 feet wide.  It looks like work is underway to widen them, but I'm not sure by how much.

There were a couple people that got off at OSU. The bus line was actually one of those codeshare type deals with a line called Barons.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.