Canada's Capital Region Road Meet - 25th August 2012

Started by Dr Frankenstein, June 05, 2012, 11:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

AT LAST. I finally got around to finding time to plan things out.

Now, what I want to know from you guys, is your interest and availability (dates and presence).

Things that are likely to be seen: Highway 417 in Arnprior, Highway 5 in Chelsea and La Pêche, some parkways (probably Ottawa River), and perhaps a covered bridge.

UPDATE: The meet will take place on the 25th of August 2012. RSVP closes on the 19th.

More info to come.

Alps

Possible A-50 construction east of Hull? And don't forget the cool interprovince bridges that aren't 5.

AsphaltPlanet

The will consider attending this meet depending upon when it is, and if the weather is going to cooperate.  I recently took a job where I work 2 weekends out of 5, so my attendance is also dependent upon whether or not I work.

I'll say this about Autoroute 50, it is very cool project, but it well east of the city, and the most interesting stretches of highway (which in my opinion involve the largest rock cuts) are actually surprisingly difficult to easily photograph.

If I do attend, I'll probably camp overnight somewhere near Ottawa (possibly Fitzroy P.P.) and would be open to sharing a campsite.  (Camp fires are more fun when they aren't solo anyways).  If I attend, I want to drive up Highway 17 through the Ottawa Valley to take some before photos of the highway before it is eventually twinned the next day.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

oscar

I'm interested, but unavailable for almost all of the summer, including every weekend in July and most or all of them in August.  The weekends of June 16 or 23, Labour Day weekend, or most weekends thereafter would work much better for me.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

deathtopumpkins

If it's on a weekend I'd possibly be willing to attend. Since I got my passport I've been itching for an excuse to visit Canada (never been).
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

AsphaltPlanet

I could do either the 16th, or the 23rd of june.  23rd is my preference.  I am going to a baseball game on the 15th in Toronto and may not be too quick to get up on the Saturday morning.  I plan to drive straight from Toronto to the meet.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

Any weekend in June with the exception of June 30/July 1 is good for me.  July not as much; July 7 looks good right now, July 14 is the alumni weekend and I might be paid help for that, July 21 is ironically a different Ottawa trip (I could ask if I could do both in the same day, since I don't know many of the details for this other other than that I may be driving for it), and July 28 is a trip to Old Forge.  August I'm home in Rochester until the 20th; after that I should be good until hockey season starts.

Do you think customs would find it suspicious if I take two trips to Ottawa within a month or two of each other, especially given that that would be three trips to Canada this summer, with the last trip before being three years ago despite going to college in northern NY?  I was thinking of staying overnight for Ottawa even though it's just a couple hours away just to be less suspicious to customs (plus I could clinch more highways (the rest of ON 417 and ON 34 in particular; if I get really ambitious, ON 15) and visit the history museum in Hull).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dr Frankenstein

June 23rd is unfortunately not possible for me. June 16th may work; I feel that's quite short notice for everyone, but I don't mind as far as I'm concerned.

Quote from: deanej on June 06, 2012, 12:00:08 PMDo you think customs would find it suspicious if I take two trips to Ottawa within a month or two of each other, especially given that that would be three trips to Canada this summer, with the last trip before being three years ago despite going to college in northern NY?
No. I went from making less than one trip a year in the 'States to making one or more every month, in about a year. Never been bothered about that.

As always, YMMV.

"I'd look suspicious" is not an excuse for cancelling an international trip, in my opinion. :p

Roadgeek Adam

I am still in need to get my passport card, but June 23, June 30, July 7 and July 14 are all out for me.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

vdeane

June 16 theoretically works for me despite the short notice.  I've PMed you about the only wrinkle (which just got either worse or better, depending on how fast the DMV is).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

If it's anytime in August or September, I'm there. June or July, I'm too busy with other stuff.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Dr Frankenstein

I'll probably be going to a Dream Theater (progressive metal band) concert on the 16th at night, if anyone is interested. It's in Montebello, off of A-50.

deathtopumpkins

I could do the weekend of June 30th at the earliest.

Also, I would possibly need a place to spend the night, if anyone else is making it an overnight trip and I don't feel up to driving it all in one day.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

yanksfan6129

June 16th is probably a no-go for me. I pretty much need 3 weeks in advance. Anything beyond and including late June is good for me.

I also would be interested in splitting a room with people, or driving up with someone. Let me know. (I'm currently located in North Jersey).

Alps

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on June 07, 2012, 12:42:10 AM
June 16th is probably a no-go for me. I pretty much need 3 weeks in advance. Anything beyond and including late June is good for me.

I also would be interested in splitting a room with people, or driving up with someone. Let me know. (I'm currently located in North Jersey).
That might make it more doable for me. The later the better - June is pretty much gone for me. Let's not forget Father's Day is June 17.

Dr Frankenstein

Okay. So is September/October better for everyone then?

yanksfan6129

vdeane

Depends on when.  Early/mid September is good; later than that depends on the hockey schedule (which isn't completely out yet; the men's is, but the women's isn't) since I help with the production for my college's TV station (kinda important since I'm graduating next year and need to train someone to do everything I do)

yanksfan6129

Any time before the last week in August is good for me. After that, I will be in the AMERICAN Capital Region until Mid-December...

AsphaltPlanet

maybe just run a poll?  Pick the date that accommodates the most people?

Alps

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 09, 2012, 03:33:48 PM
maybe just run a poll?  Pick the date that accommodates the most people?
Great idea. This is now a poll.

Dr Frankenstein

Thanks Steve.

By the way, I'm unavailable on both June 23 and June 30.

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on June 09, 2012, 10:55:22 PM
Thanks Steve.

By the way, I'm unavailable on both June 23 and June 30.
In that case, they are not options. Who says they were options?

vdeane

AsphaltPlanet

Has a date been settled on?

I just booked baseball tickets in Detroit for the weekend of the 25th, so I am out for that date. Plu, I'll be in the Ottawa area this weekend now

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.