News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2013 Northeastern Kentucky/Tri-State meet

Started by hbelkins, January 10, 2013, 12:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

May as well go ahead and announce it since the schedule for springtime meets is beginning to take shape.

Saturday, April 6, 11:30 a.m. EDT at a restaurant to be determined in Ashland, Ky.

Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/397265313697833/ No invites have been sent from there yet; feel free to add yourself for the time being.

Meet page at http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2013_meet.html

An itinerary, restaurant choice and drop-dead RSVP date will be posted when I figure them out.

RSVP's to the Facebook page, or if you're not on Facebook, rsvp@millenniumhwy.net.

Updates will be posted to the FB page, the meet page and here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

That date should be safe...not because I'll be there but because I'll be in Vermont and so won't be doing a Hampton Roads meet that weekend.

hbelkins

I actually picked the date yesterday, after looking to see when Easter and the Final Four fell this year, and was going to wait to announce until after I get up to the area tomorrow to see the progress on the Ironton-Russell Bridge, but I figured I should probably go ahead and schedule it.

That is Final Four weekend, but I highly doubt there will be any teams from the Commonwealth of Kentucky still playing in the NCAA Tournament that weekend. The start time may be adjusted if by some miracle UK ends up in the Final Four.

jpi

I'm afraid I can't make this one, thats the weekend of Steel City Con in Monroeville, PA so I will be in the keystone state that week and weekend. I plan to work with Cody on getting a date set for a Chattanooga road meet next weekend.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Duke87

I will be getting on a plane to go to Phoenix that day, so any ideas of me attending are out.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Did some recon for this meet today. Going to add the new and old Ironton-Russell bridges to the tour itinerary.

Still no idea where we'll do the lunch.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2013, 08:59:20 PM
Did some recon for this meet today. Going to add the new and old Ironton-Russell bridges to the tour itinerary.

Still no idea where we'll do the lunch.
Looks like a lot of places in Huntington, some of them promising.

jpi

Barboursville has a number of chain restaurants near the mall, including my place of employment.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

The lunch will definitely be in Kentucky. It works better for purposes of the tour I have planned.

RoadboyIL

Ashland would be a nice drive down from central Illinois ... I may be able to make this one!

Dougtone

It's certainly enticing, to say the least.  I'm considering going to the meet at this point and it may be a game time decision on my part.

wriddle082

I'd say it was going across the different Ohio River bridges in this region, and watching the newer bridges being constructed in the 80s and 90s, that really got me interested in roads and bridges when I was growing up.  Especially the Ben Williamson Bridge (Ohio-bound bridge from Downtown Ashland), which opened in either '83 or '84.  I'm pretty sure either my mom or aunt took me across it on the day it first opened.

Laura

Mega tempting... Definitely considering this meet, especially since it is closer than I originally anticipated from Baltimore.

hbelkins

Meet page is updated with the planned itinerary at http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2013_meet.html

Suggestions for additions to the itinerary are welcome.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on January 29, 2013, 11:40:44 AM
Suggestions for additions to the itinerary are welcome.

There's a state route through the rail yards in Russell KY (I think). It's KY 244 or 224 or something. I found it pretty interesting when I went there.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Yes, and it goes through a big honkin' underpass on its north end. I drove it a few years ago. I think that area is technically within the city limits of Worthington. A lot of those incorporated cities in Greenup County run together.

I put together a Flickr set of pics from the meet tour route (minus the Ironton-Russell Bridge) that I took in May of 2011 at http://www.flickr.com/photos/hbelkins/sets/72157632643094430/with/5939785289/

hbelkins

I hope to have a lunch location determined by this weekend.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on February 21, 2013, 12:10:18 PM
Something local is highly preferable. And Shawn's loud.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Steve on February 21, 2013, 11:49:21 PM
WHAT? :-D

sorry, had to do it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Dougtone

Quote from: Steve on February 21, 2013, 11:49:21 PM

I agree with the statement that something more local is preferable.

hbelkins

I would really like to do it at Fat Patty's, based on everything I have heard about the place. The biggest problem is that they just have street parking, except for a small lot that has only about 14 spaces, which makes it inconvenient for getting everyone together prior to lunch and when we depart for the tour.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on February 22, 2013, 02:02:26 PM
I would really like to do it at Fat Patty's, based on everything I have heard about the place. The biggest problem is that they just have street parking, except for a small lot that has only about 14 spaces, which makes it inconvenient for getting everyone together prior to lunch and when we depart for the tour.
must be a downtown place.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Alps

If you know of another location where there's ample parking, we can always eat there and then bring our cars offsite.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Steve on February 22, 2013, 04:30:05 PM
If you know of another location where there's ample parking, we can always eat there and then bring our cars offsite.
Brandon did such at Joliet (parking at the mall north of the pizza shop).  I have the same challenge in Dubuque as all the local joints are downtown - and street/garage parking is not free downtown even on weekends.  The place I selected has ample parking, but I just don't want to take up customer space when there is the threat of towing.  I have the luck of a mall to the west and a free parking garage at the Port of Dubuque so I'm seriously considering those options.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Alps

Given the limited parking, the best option may be to all meet at the parking lot, and then carpool to the restaurant from there. (This has been done at meets where there's an hour tour pre-meet, and why don't hour and tour rhyme?)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.