2013 Northeastern Kentucky/Tri-State meet

Started by hbelkins, January 10, 2013, 12:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

So far, I have 20 attendees who have RSVP'd.

Facebook attendees are:

Me
Cody G.
Tim B.
AJ B.
Shawn D.
Brian R.
Steve A.
Sam S.
Sandor G.
Ed S. (plus his wife and son)
Jeffrey C.
Doug K.
Harmanjot S.
Ronald R.
Keith T.
Michael T-S.
Laura B.

RSVP'd here:
Michael P.

For those who are looking for overnight accommodations in the area, I have stayed at the Quality Inn and the Red Roof Inn in Huntington, and they are decent and affordable motels. I also stayed at the Knights Inn in Ashland several years ago and it was not bad, but its recent reviews on TripAdvisor have not been all that great. Ashland does have a full-service downtown hotel that's right across the street from our lunch site, but most of the hotels/motels in Ashland are along the US 60 corridor. Huntington accommodations are scattered about, most are either at the WV 10 or US 60 exits. Not much to choose from in Ohio, although there is a Comfort Suites in South Point, not too far from the Ohio River bridge on US 52.

Please be giving some thought to who can drive on the tour. I will be driving my truck, which means I can only take one person with me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on April 01, 2013, 11:53:16 AM

Facebook attendees are:
Ronald R.
MISTER President!

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on April 01, 2013, 08:28:03 PM

Facebook attendees are:
Ronald R.
MISTER President!

This is a fellow named Ronald Rose who apparently lives in the area in Ohio. I do not know him. I also do not know Harmanjot Singh. I already know everyone else, either personally or through this forum and other venues.

Dougtone

Quote from: Steve on April 01, 2013, 08:28:03 PM

Facebook attendees are:
Ronald R.
MISTER President!

Will he have Jelly Belly jelly beans for us?

hbelkins

This is the last call for RSVP's for Saturday's meet. If you plan to attend, please let me know by noon EDT tomorrow (Thursday, April 4.). I will be acquiring some Kentucky souvenirs for those who will be attending and I need to know how many to get since I'll be doing that after work tomorrow.

You can RSVP via the Facebook page or via the contact information posted upthread.

kharvey10

I won't be able to attend, family had to reschedule the birthday party originally scheduled for Palm Sunday (where a foot of snow fell at my sisters house) for the 6th.  In addition the spring softball tournament season is about to start which means my free time will be zilch.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on April 03, 2013, 09:13:05 PM
This is the last call for RSVP's for Saturday's meet. If you plan to attend, please let me know by noon EDT tomorrow (Thursday, April 4.). I will be acquiring some Kentucky souvenirs for those who will be attending and I need to know how many to get since I'll be doing that after work tomorrow.
SWAG!

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on April 03, 2013, 10:36:23 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 03, 2013, 09:13:05 PM
SWAG!

You will also be taking something back to Lou, since you will probably see him before any of the other attendees do.

bandit957

Anyone know if there's some interesting road features within walking distance of downtown Ashland that aren't on the itinerary? I'll probably have some extra time before the meet to explore.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Looks like we're at 21 attendees total. Not quite a record, but a good crowd nonetheless. The weather is supposed to be great -- really, the first taste of spring we've had in Kentucky this year -- and I can easily see us having a six- or seven-vehicle motorcade on the tour. That's why I will be bringing printed instructions with me for those who don't download and print them in advance. Hope everyone has a safe trip!

Quote from: bandit957 on April 04, 2013, 03:01:35 PM
Anyone know if there's some interesting road features within walking distance of downtown Ashland that aren't on the itinerary? I'll probably have some extra time before the meet to explore.

The two bridges across the Ohio River, plus some interesting signage. I haven't paid a lot of attention to downtown Ashland when I've been there, but seems like I remember there some architecture that might be photo-worthy.

mtantillo

I might will make a last-minute surprise appearance, still not 100% though.  H.B., I totally understand if you don't have any extra swag due to my late RSVP. 

Janko Dialnice

I really wanted to attend this particular meet, for nostalgic purposes (WV is my home state). But paid time off is at a premium and, as Alex once told me, "International Travel trumps a road meet."

hbelkins

I am humbled and honored at the turnout today. We had a total of 21 people representing KY, MI, OH, PA, NJ, NY, NC, MD, DC, WV and AL. Got to meet some new folks today as well. I appreciate all of you coming more than I can express. Hope everyone who attended has safe travels home.

Steve took the official meet photo, and I only took pictures at the old Ohio SR 75 tunnel (an added stop to the trip, thanks to Brian Powell) and of the after-meet excursion down to Shawn DeCesari's family's place to see the old abandoned truss bridge. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's photos.

vtk

Hb, I think it's time for you to update your forum signature.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hbelkins

^^^

You reckon?  :-D

I actually thought about that on the way home.

bandit957

I wish I knew about abandoned US 23 on the northwest edge of Ashland beforehand. I didn't know the details of this until I researched it after I got home.

hbelkins

At one point, the northbound lanes went in a more or less straight direction while the southbound lanes curved around the mountain. I actually have a few old Kentucky maps with the Ashland inset showing that. Sometime in the 80s, I think, the southbound lanes were widened to the point where they could carry all four lanes of traffic.

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I know that Sandor and A.J. and Cody have put some pics up on Facebook.

Alps

Tim has started posting photos - he'll probably add a post to Photos, Videos, and More when he finishes.

jpi

Thanks guys, been a crazy past week for Steph and I, her grandmother passed away last week plus my convention over the wekend and now she is sick with flu. :-(
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

bandit957

Also, there was an old bridge on 5th Avenue in Huntington that was just recently torn down. We were right by where this was, and I didn't know it until last night. It was right by the East Huntington Bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.