News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mass Rep pushes for higher speed limits

Started by roadman, September 12, 2013, 04:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mass_citizen

Quote from: froggie on September 23, 2013, 12:54:12 AM
That's a bit higher than my usual I-91 experience, where the "85th percentile" would be roughly low 70s.  I typically go 73-74 and I wind up passing most people with very few passing me.

Then in that case I would say your speed would be about the 85th percentile. By definition this means you were traveling faster than 85% of (aka most) drivers. The few people passing you would be the true speeders who are going above the 85th percentile. Most freeways in MA probably have an 85th percentile of 72-77 mph. In your case of 73-74, MUTCD suggests rounding the speed limit to within 5 mph of 85th so it would be either 70 or 75. 

froggie

Mass, no, what I'm saying is that MY speed is about the 95th percentile.

MVHighways

Quote from: roadman on September 12, 2013, 04:51:09 PM
Bill calls for increased speed limits on parts of I-90, I-91, and I-95.
If I'm reading the full bill on MALegislature.gov correctly, it apparently applies to ALL roads with a 65 mph limit:

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H3175

I wish Rep. Winslow and others also proposed increasing some of the 55 mph freeways to 60 or 65; IMO the only 55 I would upgrade to 70 would be I-495 through Lawrence, which could probably good enough to be included in the proposed increase to 70 mph). Not all of the 55 roads deserve upgrades, but I'd say most.

vdeane

If they wanted the roads at 55 to be faster, those roads would be at 65 already.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mass_citizen

Quote from: vdeane on October 13, 2013, 06:47:12 PM
If they wanted the roads at 55 to be faster, those roads would be at 65 already.

who's they? the state police? revenue craving state and local governments? M.A.D.D.?

by proper engineering standards "they" should be 85% of drivers and if you followed those engineering studies, most roads in fact would be 65+ already. 

vdeane

MassHighway, unless MA law requires statutory permission to sign a limit higher than 55 (as NY used to be), in which case, the legislature.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mass_citizen on October 14, 2013, 03:31:54 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 13, 2013, 06:47:12 PM

who's they? the state police? revenue craving state and local governments? M.A.D.D.?

by proper engineering standards "they" should be 85% of drivers and if you followed those engineering studies, most roads in fact would be 65+ already.

Traffic on the western end of the MassPike (between I-91 and the New York border) seemed to have an 85th percentile speed of about 70 MPH when I  drove it recently on a Sunday. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ProfBrad

Hi, new member of the forum here.

Looks like this thread has been inactive of late. I am flabbergasted that the speed limit on Rt 3 north of 128/95 is at 55mph. this is a 6 lane highway that was reconstructed and upgraded about 15 years ago. I recall a couple of articles that mentioned a change to 65mph was in the woks, but that the ticket revenue going to the local communities was too lucrative to give up. Does anyone have any news on this?

The Nature Boy

Is the speed limit on I-91 through Springfield still 45 MPH?

That needs to be fixed.

hotdogPi

Quote from: ProfBrad on December 26, 2016, 09:26:22 AM

Looks like this thread has been inactive of late. I am flabbergasted that the speed limit on Rt 3 north of 128/95 is at 55mph. this is a 6 lane highway that was reconstructed and upgraded about 15 years ago. I recall a couple of articles that mentioned a change to 65mph was in the woks, but that the ticket revenue going to the local communities was too lucrative to give up. Does anyone have any news on this?

Welcome to the forum from northeastern Massachusetts!
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

shadyjay

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 26, 2016, 09:28:44 AM
Is the speed limit on I-91 through Springfield still 45 MPH?

That needs to be fixed.

I-91 through Springfield is now posted at 40 MPH, mainly because it's an active work zone.  I'd assume it'll go up to 50 mph when the work is completed.

In other "ridiculous" speed limit news, despite I-95 having its construction completed in New Haven (CT), it's still "temporarily" posted as 40 mph. 

I don't see the "128" portion of I-95 going to 65.  60 maybe, but even that's doubtful.  But I totally agree with Route 3 north of 128.  Why didn't that go to 65 when the road was widened?  And why didn't it become I-89?  Oh wait, no, that was my grand plan... didn't expect that to happen!

RobbieL2415

Quote from: dgolub on September 12, 2013, 07:01:50 PM
That's still better off that in New York, where everything is 55 MPH, except for the Thruway (I-87), and not until you get to the outlying parts of the metropolitan area.
I-490 and the Specerport Expressway (NY 531) I know for a fact have 65mph zones.

But I would say the only roads in MA deserving of a 70mph limit are I-90 west of Springfield and I-91 north of Holyoke.

Other speed limit raises I'd like to see would be:

MA 3 to 65.
MA 57 to 65.
MA 146 to 65 (grade separated portions only)
US 6 from exit 9b to the Orleans Rotary to 55
US 6 from the Orleans Rotary to Wellfleet to 45
US 44 expressway to 65

cl94

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 26, 2016, 10:06:16 PM
That's still better off that in New York, where everything is 55 MPH, except for the Thruway (I-87), and not until you get to the outlying parts of the metropolitan area.
I-490 and the Specerport Expressway (NY 531) I know for a fact have 65mph zones.

But I would say the only roads in MA deserving of a 70mph limit are I-90 west of Springfield and I-91 north of Holyoke.

EVERYTHING in New York outside of developed areas is typically 55 unless there are geometric constraints or it is a parkway (which are limited by law to 55).

That being said, most of the Mass Pike outside of 128 could be 70, as could the 65 mph sections of I-91 and I-495. You could even put the portions of I-95 near the borders at 70.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cl94 on December 26, 2016, 10:29:49 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 26, 2016, 10:06:16 PM

EVERYTHING in New York outside of developed areas is typically 55 unless there are geometric constraints or it is a parkway (which are limited by law to 55).

That being said, most of the Mass Pike outside of 128 could be 70, as could the 65 mph sections of I-91 and I-495. You could even put the portions of I-95 near the borders at 70.
If ConnDOT would cooperate and raise the speed limit to 70 on its sections (yeah, right :rolleyes:) I would also nominate I-84 and I-395.  Mass Pike west of Exit 10 could be 70 with a drop to 65 from Exit 6 to 4.

--fixed misquote as best I can --sso
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

We used to joke about New York back in the early 2000s that you had to pay to go 65.  I-84 east of the Thruway and all of I-684 was kept at 55.  The only route downstate where you could legally go 65 was the Thruway. 

I think 70 is excessive for any route in eastern Mass.  On the 'pike in western Mass, I see no problem with 70, and with I-91 north of Northampton as well, but only if VT got on the bandwagon.  If not, then keep I-91 at 65. 

cl94

Quote from: shadyjay on December 26, 2016, 11:09:21 PM
We used to joke about New York back in the early 2000s that you had to pay to go 65.  I-84 east of the Thruway and all of I-684 was kept at 55.  The only route downstate where you could legally go 65 was the Thruway. 

I think 70 is excessive for any route in eastern Mass.  On the 'pike in western Mass, I see no problem with 70, and with I-91 north of Northampton as well, but only if VT got on the bandwagon.  If not, then keep I-91 at 65.

Before you say 70 is excessive, look at where Maine has put 70 mph limits.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

KEVIN_224

Sections of the Maine Turnpike in York County, no less!

shadyjay

I know... that is kind of odd that they went "that far south" with 70mph.  But, I guess, it's only another 5 mph.  Okay, I can see I-95 going to 70mph north of "128".  And the NH Tpke as well. 

vdeane

I'd post I-91 in northern MA at 70 regardless of VT.  It's a good 25 miles, no need to hold it down just because of the bordering state.  That said, VT really should raise all their miles posted at 65 to 70.  I-91 between White River Junction and St. Johnsbury might even be good for 75.

There was a bill in NH to raise I-89 and NH 101 to 70 a couple years ago.  Too bad it never got anywhere.

kefkafloyd

Quote from: ProfBrad on December 26, 2016, 09:26:22 AM

The report about the crossover accidents on route 3 north of Burlington specifically says "raise the speed limit" as one of its recommendations. In the early aughts the 85th percentile was around 75 MPH and I doubt it's changed all that much. This is years old at this point, but at least they did put in the cable guardrails.

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/traffic/SafetyAudit/District4/Bedford-%20Billerica-Chelmsford_Route3_2008-06-05.pdf

Route 3 is one of the nicest highways to drive in the state. It has full-width shoulders, good geometry, and excellent sight. It can even be easily widened to four lanes per carriageway thanks to all of the bridges and overpasses built to accommodate four lane travel plus double shoulders already–which you can't say much about other roads. It's a shame that it's hamstrung by an archaic speed limit. A slowpoke doing 55 helps no one when the road is begging you to drive it at 70.

You could always poke your state rep about https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/H3001 but the fact that it was introduced in January 2015 and there hasn't been any activity on it since June since being referred to study doesn't inspire confidence. It's hard to keep track of when those study events happen and when the transportation committee meets (and what the results of those are).

Staties can still ticket all the people who drive 80+ on route 3 regularly (and there's puh-lenty of them with both Mass and NH plates), just let us regular shmoes set our cruise control to 70 or 75 without fear of tickets.

ProfBrad

I think the appetite in The MA Legislature for raising the limit is slim to none. Notice that Rt 3 south of Weymouth is posted at 60 mph, that is at least a bit more reasonable. Perhaps the difference could be split on Rt 3 in the Burlington to Tyngsboro stretch so I am not constantly looking over my shoulder when I am going 65!

Additionally, the more rural parts of Rt 2 could be 60 or 65 mph. I believe it used to be 60 mph prior to 1974. And as long as I am on it, Rt 2 in Acton (where it is divided) should be at least 50 mph. 45 is ridiculous for a divided highway as long as there isn't congestion.

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on December 26, 2016, 07:00:26 PMI don't see the "128" portion of I-95 going to 65.  60 maybe, but even that's doubtful.
Prior to the 55 NSL, most of 128 in that area had a posted 60 mph speed limit.  As a matter of fact, the old speed limit signs that had smaller 55 numerals placed over the larger 60 numerals (one could see traces of the larger numerals on the signs) between the Mass Pike and the US 1 (Dedham) interchanges survived into the early 1990s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.