News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 11/US 15 in the Harrisburg Area

Started by 74/171FAN, March 26, 2016, 05:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Well it is only about one month until the closure of US 11/US 15 from I-81(Exit 65) to Marysville.  Having lived around Harrisburg for just a few months, I am unsure that the closure will bring as much heartache as the general public believes (at least when it comes to incidents on US 22/US 322).

The PennLive link has information about the detours, when/if a lane could open on US 11/US 15 during crashes that close US 22/US 322, etc.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Didn't they have an extended closure on that route a year or two ago?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

No, there was another rock fence project just south of the freeway section by Duncannon but it was left open from what I remember hearing.  I have only lived in PA for a few months at this point so I may be off slightly.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jpi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 26, 2016, 09:51:36 PM
No, there was another rock fence project just south of the freeway section by Duncannon but it was left open from what I remember hearing.  I have only lived in PA for a few months at this point so I may be off slightly.
You are correct about the fending project but this will be a big issue with localswho live along 11/15, glad this won't effect my visit next month since it will be in 2 weeks when I am up in the area.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

Quote from: jpi on March 29, 2016, 03:22:03 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 26, 2016, 09:51:36 PM
You are correct about the fencing project but this will be a big issue with locals who live along 11/15, glad this won't effect my visit next month since it will be in 2 weeks when I am up in the area.
The other weekend I actually clinched PA 850 east of PA 74 realizing that I would not want to do it over the summer.  Honestly, I cannot think of any real alternative outside of closing the road there that was viable.  I am sure I will get asked about this at the road meet somehow.   :-D

EDIT:Well PennDOT is apparently putting in "contraflow gates" to allow for two-lane traffic on US 22/US 322 the next two weekends in case of possible incidents closing one side of the road, I do not know if I would personally call this contraflow though (mainly knowing it as reversing traffic on freeways or major arterials during hurricane evacuations).   This was finally finished yesterday (April 23rd) due to the snow two weekends ago and the Penn State spring game last weekend.

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

74/171FAN

Well PennDOT has created a site on its 511 page to show travel times on the detour routes(US 22/US 322) and (PA 274 to PA 34 to PA 944 to I-81) during the closure starting in just over a week

jemacedo9

On US22/US 322, there are new *temporary* 2/10 mile markers between Clarks Ferry and PA 39...in Clearview, with a not-so-normal green.  Temporary, as in, the signs are standing on the shoulder, held by sand bags like other Work Zone signage.  Seems to be, this would have been a good time to put in permanent mile markers, since there have been permanent ones east/south of PA 39 for years...

74/171FAN

I went to take at look at the contraflow gates Sunday afternoon since the lane closures ended Saturday night.  It looks to me that all that was done was removing the barrier and they put the gates right in (see photo below-this was the first one past PA 443 on US 22/US 322 looking WB).

Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 24, 2016, 03:41:02 PM
On US22/US 322, there are new *temporary* 2/10 mile markers between Clarks Ferry and PA 39...in Clearview, with a not-so-normal green.  Temporary, as in, the signs are standing on the shoulder, held by sand bags like other Work Zone signage.  Seems to be, this would have been a good time to put in permanent mile markers, since there have been permanent ones east/south of PA 39 for years...

You can barely see one of them in the above photo. I have no idea why they are put up that way considering many freeways in PA have the mile markers posted on top of the concrete barrier medians.

74/171FAN

District 8 has posted some photos of the US 11/US 15 project on the project website.  These photos also include the contraflow barrier and the temporary mile markers put in place on US 22/US 322.

qguy

Interesting article on the project and the use of a helicopter. Looks like an old military surplus Sikorsky H-34.
http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/05/helicopter_used_in_marysville.html

sbeaver44

I don't have a pic yet, but if you want to see some hot PA 11 / PA 15 signs, go on PA 230/Cameron St towards US 22 in Harrisburg, right near that intersection.  Guessing contractor error.

SM-G360V

74/171FAN

Quote from: sbeaver44 on June 03, 2016, 05:17:49 PM
I don't have a pic yet, but if you want to see some hot PA 11 / PA 15 signs, go on PA 230/Cameron St towards US 22 in Harrisburg, right near that intersection.  Guessing contractor error.

See here in the Erroneous Road Signs thread.  I took it a few weeks ago.

74/171FAN

Latest update-US 11/US 15 could be reopened before July 4th.  This is in part due to an incentive put in place to give the contractor a bonus of $50,000 a day (capped at $2 million) to get the road opened before July 30th.  There would have been penalties if the contractor reopened the road later.

74/171FAN

US 11/15 officially reopens over a month early.  It reopened about 2:30 PM; however, there will still be possible lane closures outside of peak periods. 

Ultimately the contractor is going to get about a $1.75 million bonus for finishing this early.  (The bonus was $50,000 a day for each day up to a max of $2 million if the road was opened before July 30th.)

EDIT:
Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 24, 2016, 03:41:02 PM

I drove on US 22/US 322 this morning and saw that the temporary mile markers have been removed as well. 

74/171FAN

Obviously not related to the rock slope closures earlier this year; however, the issues about US 11/15 traffic may restart again at some point next year due to a P3 Bridge Replacement for the Fishing Creek Bridge in Marysville.

The entire tentative list for Perry County for 2017 can be seen here.  (and when I state tentative I mean tentative, from what I have heard Walsh is very behind schedule on completing all of the bridges)

vdeane

Is PennDOT trying to see how long they can keep the road closed?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on November 12, 2016, 04:19:21 PM

It is supposed to be alternating single-lane traffic this time so at least people that live in Marysville will not be using long detours.  Having said that, all of the concerns involving US 22/322 (especially accidents that would close either direction) before will most likely be a concern again.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 12, 2016, 05:07:50 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 12, 2016, 04:19:21 PM

It is supposed to be alternating single-lane traffic this time so at least people that live in Marysville will not be using long detours.  Having said that, all of the concerns involving US 22/322 (especially accidents that would close either direction) before will most likely be a concern again.

Two thoughts:

1. From GSV, it  is not even possible to see that there's a bridge where U.S. 15 goes over Fishing Creek.

2. I believe this is what U.S. 11/U.S. 15 looked like years ago, all the way from Enola in the south at least as far north as Shamokin Dam (and maybe beyond on U.S. 15).  That suicide lane in the middle was (back then) a lane that alternated sides every few miles, leading to a lot of head-on wrecks.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oldparoadgeek

Way; Way back; The middle lane could be used by Both sides for passing!! at the same time. I think thats how 3 lane highways got the
name suicide roads. Pennsylvania had a Lot of them in the 50's and 60's.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.