News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 10:44:34 AM
Quote from: GaryV on October 28, 2022, 10:22:23 AM
If they drop off your body at the wrong cemetery, do they rehearse it to take it to the correct spot?

Yes, that's what a rehearsal is.

In all seriousness, the two words have the same etymology.  The root for both comes from the Old French herce, which was a harrow or large rake.  A hearse, in the funerary sense, first referred to a chandelier hung over the body of the deceased, because its frame and arms resembled a harrow.  Then, eventually, it came to refer to any framework structure erected in a similar context, such as cart built to carry the deceased to his grave.  Likewise, to rehearse something is to metaphorically go over it again and again, which is what someone does in a literal sense with a harrow:  both keep turning the material over and over until it's ready.

Interesting, thank you!

Scott5114

I just submitted my Travel Mapping updates for my trip to Las Vegas. GitHub automatically assigned my changes pull request number 7777. Appropriate, considering the destination!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Pro tip for using Windows:  Don't click "end task" on Windows Explorer.  I mistakenly did that instead of restarting it, and then it took some ingenuity to figure out how to relaunch it without restarting my computer.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 12:26:09 PM
Pro tip for using Windows:  Don't click "end task" on Windows Explorer.  I mistakenly did that instead of restarting it, and then it took some ingenuity to figure out how to relaunch it without restarting my computer.

I've pranked people doing that before. That and also this website.

It's easy to fix Windows Explorer actually if you know how: just press Win+R, type explorer.exe, and press Enter.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 01, 2022, 12:31:39 PM
It's easy to fix Windows Explorer actually if you know how: just press Win+R, type explorer.exe, and press Enter.

No, it isn't that easy.  After I ended-task Windows Explorer, I could no longer use the Win+ hotkeys.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

File -> Run new task

Unrelated, working in an office the day after Halloween is awesome due to all the leftover candy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on November 01, 2022, 01:00:43 PM
File -> Run new task

"File" ... where?

For what it's worth, the way I got it to re-launch was to...

1.  Alt-Tab to open an e-mail draft I had going in Outlook
2.  File menu → Save As
3.  Right-click on a folder → Open in new window
4.  Navigate to C:\Windows\
5.  Double-click on explorer
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 01:05:13 PM
File -> Run new task

"File" ... where?

2.  File menu → Save As

File in Task Manager. Ctrl+Alt+Del. I thought Win+R still worked, but maybe not. Ctrl+Alt+Del definitely still works.

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 01, 2022, 01:06:51 PM

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 01:05:13 PM

File -> Run new task

"File" ... where?

2.  File menu → Save As

File in Task Manager. Ctrl+Alt+Del. I thought Win+R still worked, but maybe not. Ctrl+Alt+Del definitely still works.

Ah, yes, thank you!  I never realized I could do that from the Task Manager.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

It's actually Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch Task Manager directly in recent versions of Windows--the three-finger salute now takes you to a blue screen with options to lock, switch user, change password, sign out, and launch Task Manager.  And I thought Explorer (meaning the Windows shell, not the file chooser) restarted itself automatically when it crashes.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 01, 2022, 02:08:28 PM
It's actually Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch Task Manager directly in recent versions of Windows--the three-finger salute now takes you to a blue screen with options to lock, switch user, change password, sign out, and launch Task Manager.

No practical difference, as I was able to choose Task Manager from the options.  But thanks, I'll try to remember the Ctrl+Shift+Esc as the new three-finger salute.

And I thought Explorer (meaning the Windows shell, not the file chooser) restarted itself automatically when it crashes.

I think it does when it crashes, but apparently not when you manually tell it to stop running..?
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 02:13:00 PM
It's actually Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch Task Manager directly in recent versions of Windows--the three-finger salute now takes you to a blue screen with options to lock, switch user, change password, sign out, and launch Task Manager.

No practical difference, as I was able to choose Task Manager from the options.  But thanks, I'll try to remember the Ctrl+Shift+Esc as the new three-finger salute.

And I thought Explorer (meaning the Windows shell, not the file chooser) restarted itself automatically when it crashes.

I think it does when it crashes, but apparently not when you manually tell it to stop running..?

I've had to manually run explorer.exe a few times when something just isn't running right.

I remember that was a good way to neutralize Windows 95/98 to the point where you'd have to reach to for the power switch to restart Windows.

kphoger

I have to restart it every few months, when little popups (I forget what they're called, when you mouse over something and a tiny box pops up) start reusing to go away until I mouse over them a second time.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 03:58:17 PM
(I forget what they're called, when you mouse over something and a tiny box pops up)

tooltips
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

For those who jump all over people who use the word "dethaw" instead of "thaw", claiming that the de- prefix makes it mean the opposite of what the person intends...

I'm curious to know how you would define the following words:
  defraud
  delimit
  denote

:hmmm:
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

"Fraud"  to me is an attempted act, "defrauding"  would be successfully pulling off said act. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 01, 2022, 05:37:31 PM
"Fraud"  to me is an attempted act, "defrauding"  would be successfully pulling off said act. 

Well, at least you don't think it means to have all your swindled money given back to you.
Male pronouns, please.

D-Dey65

Every now and then I start to wonder if being in the south for the past 23 years has provided me with ample opportunity to buy spicier snacks and sauces that I wouldn't be able to get in the New York Tri-State area, unless I ordered them from a catalog, or bought them at a spice shop. The suburbs of Tampa-St. Pete aren't that close to Louisiana hot sauce territory, but you can certainly find Cheetos XXXtra Flaming Hot Cheese crunches, and hotter than average Tobasco sauce and Frank's Hot Sauce flavors. The aunt and uncle I stay with in Bayside when I drive up north couldn't believe that Frito-Lay made anything hotter that Flaming Hot Cheetos.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 04:43:23 PM
For those who jump all over people who use the word "dethaw" instead of "thaw", claiming that the de- prefix makes it mean the opposite of what the person intends...

I'm curious to know how you would define the following words:
  defraud
  delimit
  denote

:hmmm:

I don't think I've heard anyone actually say or seen the word "dethaw"...it just sounds redundant. (Or is that de-en-un-ex-non-pro-sub-supra-redundant?)

Denote seems to have an external connotation versus internal connotation; you do not "denote something" for yourself. Delimit seems to also have the same connotation, though they seem to have more specific meaning.

Verbing weirds language.

kirbykart

^Dethaw is straight up not a word. That's why it's incorrect, because it doesn't exist.

kphoger

Quote from: kirbykart on November 04, 2022, 12:19:05 PM
Dethaw is straight up not a word. That's why it's incorrect, because it doesn't exist.

'Unthaw' is, however, and has been in use as a synonym of 'thaw' since the late 16th Century.
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on November 04, 2022, 01:18:31 PM
Dethaw is straight up not a word. That's why it's incorrect, because it doesn't exist.

'Unthaw' is, however, and has been in use as a synonym of 'thaw' since the late 16th Century.

As a synonym? Did you mean antonym?

US 89

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 06, 2022, 07:49:15 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 04, 2022, 01:18:31 PM

As a synonym? Did you mean antonym?

No he didn’t. Look it up:

Quote from: Webster’s Online DictionaryVerb 1. dethaw - become or cause to become soft or liquid; "The sun melted the ice"; "the ice thawed"; "the ice cream melted"; "The heat melted the wax"; "The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase"; "dethaw the meat"
Synonyms: thaw, unfreeze, unthaw, melt, dissolve

A little bit of searching suggests it is probably a bit of nonstandard English that arose as a cross between “defrost” and “thaw”.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

George Carlin's line: "Flammable, inflammable, non-flammable: why are there 3? Either something flams or it doesn't."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.