News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Well-worn Intersections

Started by CapeCodder, June 04, 2022, 07:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

What are some well worn intersections near you? Near my location, MA 134's intersection with MA 28 used to have ruts in the right turn movements on both sides (right onto 28 and right onto 134) before being repaved last year. When I lived in St. Louis, there were some intersections that should've been fully rebuilt.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: CapeCodder on June 04, 2022, 07:43:17 AM
What are some well worn intersections near you? Near my location, MA 134's intersection with MA 28 used to have ruts in the right turn movements on both sides (right onto 28 and right onto 134) before being repaved last year. When I lived in St. Louis, there were some intersections that should've been fully rebuilt.

Mulberry and College (us 287) in Fort Collins. Whichever direction you're crossing this intersection, it's like going over a cattle guard it's so rutted.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

mgk920

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 04, 2022, 11:13:55 AM

Mulberry and College (us 287) in Fort Collins. Whichever direction you're crossing this intersection, it's like going over a cattle guard it's so rutted.

Wouldn't it be badly 'rutted' because Tungsten Carbide tire studs are legal year round in Colorado?

Mike

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: mgk920 on June 06, 2022, 01:23:51 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 04, 2022, 11:13:55 AM

Wouldn't it be badly 'rutted' because Tungsten Carbide tire studs are legal year round in Colorado?

Mike

It's the intersection of two of the busiest streets in town. Both streets get beat to all hell by trucks.

There's a small but vocal movement to make downtown (a few blocks away) a 'car-free zone' because of the trucks going through downtown, but it's not going to go anywhere.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

The left lane here, which 99.9999999215% of traffic uses because it's the entrance to (K-254) I-135 and I-235.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Wisconsin outlawed the seasonal use of studded tires after about eight years of legality in the late 1970s due to the severe damage that they were doing to concrete (especially) paved streets and roads.  I still remember concrete paved Milwaukee area freeways (paved in the early-mid 1960s) that were like driving on cobblestones due to that.  Since then, wear damage is been amazingly reduced, with some textured concrete paving that was laid down in within the decade or so after that still 'singing' as one drives over it.  Wisconsin only allows studded tires on emergency vehicles and out-of-state vehicles just passing through on single trips.  Ditto all of the surrounding states.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.