News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Nearest one-lane road to you

Started by Max Rockatansky, June 14, 2022, 11:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

gonealookin

Probably anybody who lives near National Forest lands has a lot of these.  In my vicinity one that comes to mind is the road along the east shore of Fallen Leaf Lake, a few miles long with some nerve-wracking blind spots.  https://goo.gl/maps/d9W1eSWqxNH3SHqC7  There are many others in this area.  The state highway that qualifies is CA 4 over Ebbetts Pass.

hotdogPi

I don't know if it's actually the closest, but this railroad bridge in Wilmington, MA.

EDIT: I'm excluding one-way streets.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on June 15, 2022, 01:52:02 AM
Probably anybody who lives near National Forest lands has a lot of these.  In my vicinity one that comes to mind is the road along the east shore of Fallen Leaf Lake, a few miles long with some nerve-wracking blind spots.  https://goo.gl/maps/d9W1eSWqxNH3SHqC7  There are many others in this area.  The state highway that qualifies is CA 4 over Ebbetts Pass.

Amusingly Fallen Leaf Lake Road is an old state highway (CA 188).

zzcarp

It's tough to tell what qualifies as "one-lane," and I think this stretch of Dover Street in an unincorporated enclave of Jefferson County qualifies.
So many miles and so many roads

02 Park Ave

Federal Twist Road in Hunterdon County, NJ.
C-o-H

webny99

I am guessing one-way roads don't count (but would be good to get clarification). What about bridges or underpasses?
In this area, there's these two one-lane canal bridges and this one-lane railroad underpass.

Also, it's not the closest, but there's a random one-lane section on NY 272 (quote snipped from another thread):

Quote from: webny99 on May 19, 2022, 11:20:31 PM
There's a very strange one-lane segment here — never seen anything quite like it and couldn't find any information online. Based on Street View it seems to have appeared since 2015. It looks permanent given the signage, but perhaps it's "temporary"  until a proper bridge can be built.

webny99

Quote from: zzcarp on June 15, 2022, 09:46:56 AM
It's tough to tell what qualifies as "one-lane," and I think this stretch of Dover Street in an unincorporated enclave of Jefferson County qualifies.

That looks to me like a regular unstriped road. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem so narrow that two cars couldn't pass each other.

7/8

A few in Kitchener:

This cool one-way ramp from Madison St down to Charles St (GSV).
One-way alleyway in Downtown - Halls Lane (GSV).
There are some one-way alleyways just north of Downtown (ex GSV).

zachary_amaryllis

My street is 1 1/2 lanes... for two cars to pass (a rare occurence), one has to go onto the grass along the street.

so, its like 40 feet away...
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zzcarp

Quote from: webny99 on June 15, 2022, 09:59:50 AM
Quote from: zzcarp on June 15, 2022, 09:46:56 AM

That looks to me like a regular unstriped road. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem so narrow that two cars couldn't pass each other.

Well, in that same neighborhood, Basalm Street is one lane.

There's also this oddity where W 105th Avenue leaves Old Wadsworth. It's one lane for about 800 feet until the Target where it becomes two lanes (and yes, it is a public street).
So many miles and so many roads

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 15, 2022, 10:19:54 AM
My street is 1 1/2 lanes... for two cars to pass (a rare occurence), one has to go onto the grass along the street.

so, its like 40 feet away...

This sounds like the OP's example.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

I live on a street with no center marking and barely enough room for two cars to pass.

In Seattle proper, it's very common for suburban streets to have room for only one car at a time with one or two sides hemmed in by parking.

For example: https://goo.gl/maps/GFnjtC7nZvFaqWJm6

DTComposer

Not particularly long (~500 ft) but connecting two standard-width sections of Hilow Road in Los Gatos, CA:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2285807,-121.9580701,3a,75y,190.33h,88.62t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdcdsUkCYVQIkgVLZY85G1A!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DdcdsUkCYVQIkgVLZY85G1A%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D186.54446%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

What was always interesting about this to me is they obviously have the ROW to widen the street. I used to assume that preserving the eucalyptus trees on the left was the reason it was never widened, but then I discovered those weren't planted until just a few years before the rest of the street was widened and the subdivision behind the trees was being built, meaning they would have only been 5-6 years old and I would imagine not that big a deal to remove. It's been like this for about 60 years now.

cl94

Assuming alleys and one-way streets don't count, this underpass along I-787 is right in the middle of the Albany metro. For something more than a bridge this wooded lane is inside Albany city limits.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Just around the corner from me, less than 1/4 mile away.  Barely qualifies as a street; doesn't have its own street name, and it's unpaved, but there's 3 or 4 houses down it.

skluth

Probably the road along Araby Wash. It's rarely used except by the few homes on Rim Road unless Araby Drive across the normally dry river washes out after a heavy rain. There are a couple of pullout points for passing between the Araby Trailhead parking and the first home. 

tsmatt13

Interstates & freeways clinched: 16, 78, 87 (NY), 97, 287, 295 (NJ/PA/DE), 676, ACE, GSP

DandyDan

There's a glorified driveway at N. Tennessee Place and NE 12th St. in Mason City, IA. Other than that, there's a one lane underpass under UP railroad tracks on county road B20 east of US 65 north of town. I'm inclined to believe any bridge in rural Cerro Gordo County on a gravel road is one lane, but I don't want to catalog it all.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jlam

My neighborhood roads are unstriped but if that doesn't count then probably something in Fort Collins.

Great Lakes Roads

There are a couple of streets in my hometown that have parking on one side, and it's pretty narrow, especially if a car is coming from the opposite direction.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6044053,-86.7184871,3a,75y,235.16h,75.77t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGpRtjBeRVDtnJFNfuobZPQ!2e0!5s20130801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

kphoger

Streets with parallel parking are not automatically one-lane streets.

Streets with no center striped are not automatically one-lane streets.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 20, 2022, 09:44:01 AM

To that end, something that comes to mind is the question I've always had if CA 4 over Ebbetts Pass is really only one lane?  Sure there isn't a center stripe, but there isn't anyplace where two full size vehicles can't pass each other in opposite travel directions.  To me a true one lane requires a road narrow enough that someone would need to go to a shoulder (if any) if two vehicles traveling in opposite direction encountered each other. 

cl94

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 20, 2022, 10:29:46 AM
Quote from: kphoger on June 20, 2022, 09:44:01 AM

To that end, something that comes to mind is the question I've always had if CA 4 over Ebbetts Pass is really only one lane?  Sure there isn't a center stripe, but there isn't anyplace where two full size vehicles can't pass each other in opposite travel directions.  To me a true one lane requires a road narrow enough that someone would need to go to a shoulder (if any) if two vehicles traveling in opposite direction encountered each other.

Yeah, 1.5 lanes != 1 lane. 1 lane means two cars cannot pass without reversing, using a passing place/pullout, or pulling off the pavement. Wide vehicles might not be able to pass on a 1.5-lane road, but two narrow vehicles normally can.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.