News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: dvferyance on December 30, 2019, 01:18:59 PM
On Green Acres Mr Haney mentioned a taco parlor that gets busy during the season we import our then he used a word that starts with a w that refers to an illegal immigrant. I know that would never be allowed on TV today.
Not the only time during the series he used that term.  In another episode, he was trying to get Mr. Douglas to invest in building an automated tomato planter that he described as "The answer to every farmer's prayers.  A mechanized w."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman65

Would Sanford and Son's scene with Fred raising his fists at his nemesis sister in law Esther be allowed today?  Being they were not married it can't be considered spousal abuse.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

allniter89

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

In_Correct

It is produced by Norman Lear. He got away with any thing.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

SectorZ

Quote from: In_Correct on January 02, 2020, 10:47:13 AM
It is produced by Norman Lear. He got away with any thing.

I guess that was his idea of the "American Way"...

TheGrassGuy

-All smoking and tobacco
-All negative portrayals of African-Americans
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

texaskdog

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 02, 2020, 06:52:36 PM
-All smoking and tobacco

JJ Evans. Esther Rolle even left the show over his character.

TheGrassGuy

This doesn't really count as "old TV", but Borat.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

wanderer2575

Quote from: texaskdog on January 02, 2020, 09:01:27 PM
-All smoking and tobacco

JJ Evans. Esther Rolle even left the show over his character.

John Amos left the show before she did, for the same reason.  Whether he quit or was let go depends on who you ask.  Interestingly, Rolle was more outspoken over her dissatisfaction of the show moving away from serious issues and concentrating on Jimmie Walker's one-dimensional comedy antics, but it was Amos who drew the producers' wrath.

-All smoking and tobacco

You still see some smoking.  What's amusing on really old black-and-white TV is seeing people smoking in hospitals.

kphoger

Quote from: dvferyance on December 30, 2019, 01:18:59 PM
a word that starts with a w that refers to an illegal immigrant

Quote from: roadman on December 30, 2019, 01:47:08 PM
"The answer to every farmer's prayers.  A mechanized w."

Wisconsinite

Just type the word instead of pussy-footing around it.

(I've waded across the Rio Grande before, approximately here.  Does that make me a Wisconsinite?)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Good times:

Throughout seasons two and three, Rolle and Amos grew increasingly disillusioned with the direction of the show and especially with J.J.'s antics and stereotypically buffoonish behavior.[7] Rolle was vocal about her hate of his character. In a 1975 interview with Ebony magazine she stated:

He's 18 and he doesn't work. He can't read or write. He doesn't think. The show didn't start out to be that...Little by little–with the help of the artist, I suppose, because they couldn't do that to me–they have made J.J. more stupid and enlarged the role. Negative images have been slipped in on us through the character of the oldest child.[8]

Although doing so less publicly, Amos also was outspoken about his dissatisfaction with the J.J. character. Amos stated:

The writers would prefer to put a chicken hat on J.J. and have him prance around saying "DY-NO-MITE", and that way they could waste a few minutes and not have to write meaningful dialogue.[9]

In_Correct

It seems that even Jimmie Walker himself got tired of his character over the decades. When he tried to announce his new book, the news anchor kept insisting that he perform his Famous (or perhaps Infamous) hyperactive "DynaMITE!". He kept telling her that he did not want to. Ironically, the book is named "Dyn-o-mite!"

The J.J. character has been parodied at least once. The English dub of the first 105 episodes of Gatchaman they changed the character Jinpei (similar sounding names also) to mimic J.J. half the time.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

texaskdog

cwf1701

How about words that have a different meaning today than when the show first aired. If they did a new "Leave It to Beaver", Could they have June day "Ward, was you a little hard on the Beaver"?

PHLBOS

Quote from: cwf1701 on January 04, 2020, 03:17:15 PMHow about words that have a different meaning today than when the show first aired. If they did a new "Leave It to Beaver", Could they have June day "Ward, was you a little hard on the Beaver"?
One line in a Season 3 episode of Lost In Space (original version, The Promised Planet episode) had both Will & Penny bargaining w/Dr. Smith, who's wearing a long-haired wig & hippie medallions, uttering the phrase (to Smith); You're a hard man.  While the script writers meant such in reference to bargaining; the above-phrase in and of itself can be interpreted a completely different way.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mgk920

Quote from: cwf1701 on January 04, 2020, 03:17:15 PM
How about words that have a different meaning today than when the show first aired. If they did a new "Leave It to Beaver", Could they have June day "Ward, was you a little hard on the Beaver"?

Or when 'gay' was just way of saying 'happy and festive'?

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on January 08, 2020, 09:37:26 PM

Mike

Leave it to Beaver aired not very many years before the word 'gay' started to be favored by homosexuals, in fact.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cwf1701

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2020, 10:49:22 AM

Mike

Leave it to Beaver aired not very many years before the word 'gay' started to be favored by homosexuals, in fact.

And the word "biscuit" in British slang has a different meaning than in American slang. In Britain, a biscuit is a slang term for a cigarette. I don't they would allow any British show to use the word "biscuit" for cigarette anymore.

SectorZ

Quote from: cwf1701 on January 09, 2020, 04:59:22 PM

Mike

And the word "bundle of sticks" in British slang has a different meaning than in American slang. In Britain, a bundle of sticks is a slang term for a cigarette. I don't they would allow any British show to use the word "bundle of sticks" for cigarette anymore.

I don't know, it's still pretty common to Brits. In Ozzy Osbourne's recent autobiography he uses the word well over a dozen times (in its cigarette related context).

texaskdog

Quote from: cwf1701 on January 09, 2020, 04:59:22 PM

Mike

And the word "bundle of sticks" in British slang has a different meaning than in American slang. In Britain, a bundle of sticks is a slang term for a cigarette. I don't they would allow any British show to use the word "bundle of sticks" for cigarette anymore.

I thought bundle of sticks was a cigarette

Thanks to whoever edited this and completely changed the meaning :P

Bluenoser

Mike

And speaking of "Gay"...
I'm one of those strange creatures known as a TV Guide collector...I have a copy of the Nebraska edition from the mid-50s, where a station aired a local music show where the house band was named...the Gay Heinies! :-D

US71

Mike

My dad had a major problem with (as he believed)  homosexuals perverting the word "gay".
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

US71

I wonder if Mushmouse and Punkin' Puss would be allowed today?

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: US71 on January 18, 2020, 11:43:48 AM
I wonder if Mushmouse and Punkin' Puss would be allowed today?

I wondered the same question about that Popeye short titled "Pop-Pie a la mode".
https://popeye.fandom.com/wiki/Pop-Pie_a_la_Mode
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5utss0

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.