News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on March 17, 2020, 01:03:00 AM
It would be really interesting if this random event causes the entire nation to end up AET in 2020 and they don't go back.
Every toll booth would need an optical license plate reader first.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 16, 2020, 08:53:59 PM
DelDOT is going AET temporarily on I-95 and Route 1 due to COVID-19.

https://deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=8027&type=News

Last I saw, the Illinois Tollway and PA Turnpike are also doing this (and I imagine most other toll authorities will quickly follow suit).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on March 17, 2020, 07:03:50 AM
It would be really interesting if this random event causes the entire nation to end up AET in 2020 and they don't go back.
They don't have readers right now and that isn't stopping them.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on March 17, 2020, 07:04:03 PM
So that would mean that vehicles without ET wouldn't get tolled.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

NJRoadfan

Every lane has license plate readers already, how else will toll violators or tag misreads be tracked and billed?

ipeters61

I was driving on US-13 in North Dover this morning and came across a portable VMS saying "STOP THE SPREAD" / "STAY HOME"  This is combined with the governor saying he may issue a stay at home order today.

(this might be considered off topic)
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

VTGoose

Quote from: ipeters61 on March 21, 2020, 05:50:29 PM
I was driving on US-13 in North Dover this morning and came across a portable VMS saying "STOP THE SPREAD" / "STAY HOME"  This is combined with the governor saying he may issue a stay at home order today.

All the signs in South Carolina on I-77, I-26, and I-95 were displaying basically the same "stay home" message.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

74/171FAN

I was going to move these to the coronavirus thread except I do not have the power as a regional moderator to merge it in there.  -Mark
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

AcE_Wolf_287

Quote from: VTGoose on March 22, 2020, 05:58:41 PM

All the signs in South Carolina on I-77, I-26, and I-95 were displaying basically the same "stay home" message.

wow and i live about 0.2 miles form I-77 in northern columbia and i haven't seen one yet... gonna find out soon

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 23, 2020, 02:47:05 PM

I was going to move these to the coronavirus thread except I do not have the power as a regional moderator to merge it in there.  -Mark
I don't think it's necessary. It's a Delaware observation.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on March 24, 2020, 12:38:39 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 23, 2020, 02:47:05 PM

I don't think it's necessary. It's a Delaware observation.

I agree with your point, but I don't want the discussion on COVID-19 to be feeding onto every thread in the forum.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mrsman

Quote from: Beltway on March 17, 2020, 07:36:01 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 17, 2020, 07:04:03 PM
So that would mean that vehicles without ET wouldn't get tolled.

From the link on DelDot's website:

At the state's three toll plazas, there will be no toll collectors working to collect cash payments. All traffic will be directed through the EZPass lanes and motorists without EZPass will receive a bill in the mail for the toll with no penalty or processing fee. The Route 896 southbound ramp to I-95 southbound will temporarily close due to the road configuration that does not permit access to the EZPass lanes.

In my opinion, this is what should happen - period.  Let's permanently end any punitive fee for lack of transponders.  Transponders recommended and get you the best rates.  Without a transponder, a small fee is attached.  (In my book, small means less than 20% of the toll or $2 whichever is greater).

Hopefully soon they will be able to address nationwide interoperability, but if I only drive to a state outside of the EZ-Pass network occasionally, it is nice that I can avoid the toll booth and pay a small fee in the meantime.  Also, they have to fix the problems with the exorbitant fee system that customers of rental cars pay.  You should not be allowed to charge a conveninence fee  for days wehn I'm not even taking a toll route!

vdeane

Even "less than 20% ... or $2 whichever is greater" can still be a massive increase for some of the small amounts on ticket systems.  Between exits 44 and 45 on the Thruway is only 20 cents each way, and a lot of traffic goes between those two exits because they connect Canandaigua Lake to Rochester via I-490.  Some of that traffic only makes the trip a few times a year, and doesn't use the Thruway for much else, making an E-ZPass account difficult to justify.  That would still be quite the increase.

In the good old days, you had the cash rate, and an E-ZPass discount.  No added fees at all.  Then we started getting AET and its associated fees (usually in addition to higher base tolls) and things like transponder discrimination.  Even if this were all fixed, I still wouldn't like bill by mail because of the many horror stories with people not receiving the first bill until such point that a ton of late fees have been added.  No thanks.  I'll stick to E-ZPass and places where I can by cash or credit card at a booth.  Doing otherwise is just too risky and involves lots of price gouging.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mrsman

Quote from: vdeane on April 01, 2020, 02:11:18 PM
Even "less than 20% ... or $2 whichever is greater" can still be a massive increase for some of the small amounts on ticket systems.  Between exits 44 and 45 on the Thruway is only 20 cents each way, and a lot of traffic goes between those two exits because they connect Canandaigua Lake to Rochester via I-490.  Some of that traffic only makes the trip a few times a year, and doesn't use the Thruway for much else, making an E-ZPass account difficult to justify.  That would still be quite the increase.

In the good old days, you had the cash rate, and an E-ZPass discount.  No added fees at all.  Then we started getting AET and its associated fees (usually in addition to higher base tolls) and things like transponder discrimination.  Even if this were all fixed, I still wouldn't like bill by mail because of the many horror stories with people not receiving the first bill until such point that a ton of late fees have been added.  No thanks.  I'll stick to E-ZPass and places where I can by cash or credit card at a booth.  Doing otherwise is just too risky and involves lots of price gouging.

My idea of "less than 20% ... or $2 whichever is greater" is essentially to replicate the E-Z pass discount froom the cash rate, but from the perspective of EZ-Pass being the base rate and the cash charge being the premium.  If "less than 20% ... or $2 whichever is greater" is still too high, then it can be further reduced.

But we should absolutely get rid of the fines that currently exist on many all-electronic roads that REQUIRE transponders and charge a fine in the $200 range for driving it without the transponder.  Every road should be AET, with an appropriate discount for transponders, and normal fees for everyone else.  I would also prohibit any monthly charge on transponders and require that the full costs of administration of the toll roads be paid for by regular tolls that are based on usage, not monthly charges simply for having the device.

Are the costs of running AET higher than the costs of employing toll takers?  I don't believe they are.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mrsman on April 07, 2020, 06:43:12 PM
My idea of "less than 20% ... or $2 whichever is greater" is essentially to replicate the E-Z pass discount froom the cash rate, but from the perspective of EZ-Pass being the base rate and the cash charge being the premium.  If "less than 20% ... or $2 whichever is greater" is still too high, then it can be further reduced.

But we should absolutely get rid of the fines that currently exist on many all-electronic roads that REQUIRE transponders and charge a fine in the $200 range for driving it without the transponder.  Every road should be AET, with an appropriate discount for transponders, and normal fees for everyone else.  I would also prohibit any monthly charge on transponders and require that the full costs of administration of the toll roads be paid for by regular tolls that are based on usage, not monthly charges simply for having the device.

Are the costs of running AET higher than the costs of employing toll takers?  I don't believe they are.

AET is much, much less expensive for toll road operators, especially when the cost of crashes approaching toll plazas, fuel burned and tailpipe emissions are considered - and the cost of handling, counting, transporting, securing and accounting for large sums of cash are accounted for.

I agree that excessive charges should not be required of drivers without transponders.  And that transponders should not be mandated.  Ideally those extra charges should be high enough to encourage drivers to get that transponder.

Note that the toll lanes in Northern Virginia (95Express, 395Express and 495Express as well as I-66 inside the Beltway in the peak directions) currently require a transponder.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

Quote from: vdeane on April 01, 2020, 02:11:18 PM

I think you'll find that just about any flat amount is a lot on some of the ticket system tolls.  My parents, for example, only drive the Thruway four times a year (round trip) between Canandaigua and Victor, which is 20 cents each way.  Your "less than 20% ... or $2 whichever is greater" would still allow a surcharge per trip that's greater than the amount my parents pay annually in tolls!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Tonytone

Wooohooo Looks like we are getting a Maryland/Delaware commuter-train connection

[url]https://delawarebusinessnow.com/2020/04/delaware-legislators-offer-bill-aimed-at-getting-maryland-commuter-trains-to-newark//url]

Will this be the beginning of Delaware creating a Dart based train system and expand service downstate? as well as to Philly-NY. Newark-DC
Promoting Cities since 1998!

mrsman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 07, 2020, 07:23:06 PM

AET is much, much less expensive for toll road operators, especially when the cost of crashes approaching toll plazas, fuel burned and tailpipe emissions are considered - and the cost of handling, counting, transporting, securing and accounting for large sums of cash are accounted for.

I agree that excessive charges should not be required of drivers without transponders.  And that transponders should not be mandated.  Ideally those extra charges should be high enough to encourage drivers to get that transponder.

Note that the toll lanes in Northern Virginia (95Express, 395Express and 495Express as well as I-66 inside the Beltway in the peak directions) currently require a transponder.

I agree.  I have an EZ-Pass to save time and to take advantage of certain local discounts.  (For the most part, I don't use the local toll facilities in the DC area, but mostly go through toll barriers on the way to Philly and NYC.)  But, if I take a trip to Florida or some other state outside of the EZ-Pass region, it would be nice to be able to just simply drive and pay a nominal extra charge for the tolls, instead of the hassle involved in getting a new transponder for an area that I don't really frequent.  And some fair system to account for rental cars.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on April 29, 2020, 07:53:47 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 07, 2020, 07:23:06 PM

I agree.  I have an EZ-Pass to save time and to take advantage of certain local discounts.  (For the most part, I don't use the local toll facilities in the DC area, but mostly go through toll barriers on the way to Philly and NYC.)  But, if I take a trip to Florida or some other state outside of the EZ-Pass region, it would be nice to be able to just simply drive and pay a nominal extra charge for the tolls, instead of the hassle involved in getting a new transponder for an area that I don't really frequent.  And some fair system to account for rental cars.

Usually - and I know there's exceptions - if the highway is AET, then the surcharge is just a few bucks.  If the highway has EZ Pass and Cash lanes, or Express lanes and Free lanes, they charge a significant surcharge because the driver was a dumbass and didn't read the signs, or (and they would never admit it) thought they could get away with going thru without paying a toll, and claim anything other than stupidity for why they shouldn't pay the toll.

The car rental issue is another problem, because there's a business cost to try to figure out who had the car at the time of rental, and the need to charge that person's credit card.   And most people, other than accountants that work at the company, don't understand or care about the cost of doing business.

Tonytone

I see the construction for the 3rd lane on De-1 is underway, however what are they doing on De-1 by tybouts corner? Are they adding the 4th lane up to the bridge as well?

iPhone

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on April 30, 2020, 08:08:21 PM
I see the construction for the 3rd lane on De-1 is underway, however what are they doing on De-1 by tybouts corner? Are they adding the 4th lane up to the bridge as well?

iPhone
Unfortunately, DelDOT's website isn't as good as it used to be with posting comprehensive project updates, but they hint at a widening between DE-273 and the Roth Bridge.  Whether that means they are actually widening on the Roth Bridge itself, I'm not sure.

That said, since the quarantine started, I haven't been in New Castle County.  I've just stuck to Kent and Sussex.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on April 30, 2020, 08:18:54 PM

iPhone
Unfortunately, DelDOT's website isn't as good as it used to be with posting comprehensive project updates, but they hint at a widening between DE-273 and the Roth Bridge.  Whether that means they are actually widening on the Roth Bridge itself, I'm not sure.

That said, since the quarantine started, I haven't been in New Castle County.  I've just stuck to Kent and Sussex.
Alot of construction projects have taken place. They added a 3rd lane on 273 by Red Mill Rd.

They also improved this intersection on chapman road & built a new building, no idea what it is tho

141/Commons blvd is under full construction. It looks like a totally different place they are going full steam.

Salem church bridge is now closed, so I assume this is the widening & reconstruction project.

Yea its also hard to tell because deldot isnt updating the new site either lmao

iPhone

Alex4897

iPhone

Their stated intention for the Roth Bridge was to simply restripe it since they left themselves the extra shoulder space when they built it originally. Unfortunately they've removed most of the information from the last attempt they made at getting this widening project off the ground, so we'll have to wait until they get a public workshop together for this. Hopefully the newer iteration of work includes some better interchange redesigns, the SR 273 one touched off a lot of controversy with Christiana with the proposed closure of SR 7, and the US 13 one seemed like it was missing movements and still not giving enough priority to SR 1 SB in terms of # of lanes.

Quote from: Tonytone on April 30, 2020, 08:47:16 PM
Salem church bridge is now closed, so I assume this is the widening & reconstruction project.

Just some deck repairs ahead of the Chapman Road bridge rebuild, nothing crazy.
https://deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=8086&type=Traffic
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on May 03, 2020, 12:20:42 PM

iPhone

Their stated intention for the Roth Bridge was to simply restripe it since they left themselves the extra shoulder space when they built it originally. Unfortunately they've removed most of the information from the last attempt they made at getting this widening project off the ground, so we'll have to wait until they get a public workshop together for this. Hopefully the newer iteration of work includes some better interchange redesigns, the SR 273 one touched off a lot of controversy with Christiana with the proposed closure of SR 7, and the US 13 one seemed like it was missing movements and still not giving enough priority to SR 1 SB in terms of # of lanes.

Quote from: Tonytone on April 30, 2020, 08:47:16 PM

Just some deck repairs ahead of the Chapman Road bridge rebuild, nothing crazy.
https://deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=8086&type=Traffic
Oh ok they are rebuilding Chapman bridge not the Salem bridge, got it.

I believe the plans for 273 interchange were picked. They chose a roundabout/exit lane for the locals in the area to exit from route 7 to 273.

They seem to be adding a 3rd lane on the Tybouts curve NB & SB that will be interesting to see.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.