AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Grand Parkway H, I-1 and I-2  (Read 13631 times)

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 02:28:02 PM
Re: Grand Parkway H, I-1 and I-2
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2023, 12:46:10 AM »

^ Agreed, however at least 70 mph is better than 65 mph.

Perhaps it will be increased to 75 mph in the next couple of years - remember 70 mph is the default limit that applies once a new facility is constructed.
My hopes for any increase is basically gone...

The last segment of SH-99 to still retain a 75 mph speed limit, the newer portion between I-45 and I-69, has been lowered to 70 mph, according to December 2022 Street View, just like the portion to the west was lowered in phases over the last few years down to 65 mph. It was still posted for 75 mph this past summer.

What is the reason for these decreases? I drove the road between I-10 west (Katy) and I-69 north this past summer, and the road can easily handle 75 - 80 mph travel throughout. Even on the 65 mph portions that used to be 70 mph or 75 mph, traffic was still moving at 80+ mph. The decreases have done nothing except create an artificial limit that is not obeyed, on a roadway that was designed for faster travel.

I'm expecting the entire northern loop of SH-99 to eventually be lowered to 65 mph, along with the newest 2-lane toll road portion down to I-10 east.

I'll add this: I find it ironic a lot of the northern part of the loop was opened at 65 mph or 70 mph, increased to 75 mph, then decreased back down within just a couple of years.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 12:51:27 AM by sprjus4 »

thisdj78

• Last Login: Today at 10:23:22 AM
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2023, 08:04:41 AM »

^ Agreed, however at least 70 mph is better than 65 mph.

Perhaps it will be increased to 75 mph in the next couple of years - remember 70 mph is the default limit that applies once a new facility is constructed.
My hopes for any increase is basically gone...

The last segment of SH-99 to still retain a 75 mph speed limit, the newer portion between I-45 and I-69, has been lowered to 70 mph, according to December 2022 Street View, just like the portion to the west was lowered in phases over the last few years down to 65 mph. It was still posted for 75 mph this past summer.

What is the reason for these decreases? I drove the road between I-10 west (Katy) and I-69 north this past summer, and the road can easily handle 75 - 80 mph travel throughout. Even on the 65 mph portions that used to be 70 mph or 75 mph, traffic was still moving at 80+ mph. The decreases have done nothing except create an artificial limit that is not obeyed, on a roadway that was designed for faster travel.

I'm expecting the entire northern loop of SH-99 to eventually be lowered to 65 mph, along with the newest 2-lane toll road portion down to I-10 east.

I'll add this: I find it ironic a lot of the northern part of the loop was opened at 65 mph or 70 mph, increased to 75 mph, then decreased back down within just a couple of years.

I can guess why. I drove on there a few more times this past fall.mostly between the 3pm - 5pm timeframe. Traffic was definitely more dense than I expected and Im sure more than was expected when they opened it. Once they add lanes, Im sure the limit will go back up.but I can see how they may think 75 is a bit high on a 4 lane that is quickly approaching traffic jam status during peak hours.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:09:52 AM by thisdj78 »

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 01:13:27 PM
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2023, 04:52:46 PM »

As quickly as the Northern fringes of the Houston metro area are growing I'm not surprised speed limits would be decreased on those sections of the Grand Parkway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.