Interchanges that tell history of its original form

Started by roadman65, August 13, 2019, 11:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: skluth on August 21, 2019, 06:55:51 PM
Virginia is notorious for just leaving old ramps working after improving interchanges. I-64 at I-264 in Norfolk has two redundant ramps (WB to SB and SB to EB) and one that is almost redundant (EB to NB). I-64 at I-495 just east of Richmond where the old ramp for traffic from DC to Tidewater was left after the new flyover ramp was built has only the one redundancy. I think you could say the old cloverleaf ramps are evidence of the history in its original form once you realize all the flyovers are more recent.
I wouldn't call any of them redundant.  One of them provides for local access to Newtown Road, as the semi-direct ramp connects to the inside of I-264 (and I believe that is original construction).

All enable freeway u-turns, granted that few motorists would use that movement, and they provide for easy u-turns for snow plow trucks.  Useful enough that I can see why they were retained.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

You can clearly make out the former ramp leaving the Walt Whitman Bridge toll plaza on I-76 West for I-95/Front Street, which was so close to the plaza the merge back to regular highway lanes wasn't completed yet.  https://goo.gl/maps/Ay8ExTr1K2N2sABAA

However, at 7th Street and Packer Ave (included in the link above), there were former ramps here, one for Northbound 7th Street to 76 East, and Southbound 7th Street to 76 East.  Those ramps were removed and no trace of them remain.  The ramps were replaced with ramps at Darien Street, which would be 8 1/3 street if so numbered.

(Due to their location near the Philly stadium complex, it's also the only location I ever saw where cops directed traffic going northbound on 7th Street to make a U-turn onto the Southbound 7th Street ramp for I-76 East after games to help with the flow of traffic leaving the complex).

PHLBOS

At the western part of the I-90/Mass Pike interchange with I-95 (MA 128) in Weston, one can still see a stretch of pavement of what was once I-90 eastbound prior to the Boston Extension being built circa 1964-65.

When it became apparent that the originally-planned I-95 corridor north of Canton & the US 3 highway corridor south of Burlington were not going to be built; one open/active cloverleaf ramp at each interchange was closed/abandoned when both interchanges were converted to their current trumpet-style interchange.

I-95 (MA 128)/US 3 interchange in Burlington: the cloverleaf ramp from I-95/MA 128 northbound to US 3 northbound was abandoned during the mid-1970s.

I-95/93/US 1/MA 128 (originally I-95/MA 128) interchange in Canton: the cloverleaf ramp from then-just MA 128 northbound to I-95 southbound was abandoned circa 1977.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

BrianP

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 22, 2019, 02:03:48 PM
You can clearly make out the former ramp leaving the Walt Whitman Bridge toll plaza on I-76 West for I-95/Front Street, which was so close to the plaza the merge back to regular highway lanes wasn't completed yet.  https://goo.gl/maps/Ay8ExTr1K2N2sABAA

However, at 7th Street and Packer Ave (included in the link above), there were former ramps here, one for Northbound 7th Street to 76 East, and Southbound 7th Street to 76 East.  Those ramps were removed and no trace of them remain.  The ramps were replaced with ramps at Darien Street, which would be 8 1/3 street if so numbered.

(Due to their location near the Philly stadium complex, it's also the only location I ever saw where cops directed traffic going northbound on 7th Street to make a U-turn onto the Southbound 7th Street ramp for I-76 East after games to help with the flow of traffic leaving the complex).
My dad used to U-turn from SB 7th street to the northbound ramp when that still existed.  I think he did that because at the time the SB 7th street ramp to I-76 EB had no on-ramp.  You had to merge directly onto the freeway.  This was when they had squeezed in 4 eastbound lanes from Broad street to the bridge. 

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

SectorZ

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 28, 2019, 03:53:34 PM
A couple more in Danvers, MA where intersections were converted to interchanges during the 1950s along US 1.

MA 114 interchange: the 1 north/114 west and the 1 south/114 west ramps were originally the mainline MA 114/Andover St. that intersected w/US 1

MA 62 interchange: the 1 north/62 east and the 1 south/62 east ramps were originally the mainline MA 62/Maple St. that intersected w/US 1
Note: prior to I-95 being built, the current dead-ended Maple St. sections were continuous and part of MA 62 as well.

Thanks for these! I always suspected the 62 one but never knew about the 114 one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.