News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Analogue Thread

Started by MCRoads, April 27, 2021, 02:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In_Correct

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Scott5114

Copy and pasting microfilms is really hard, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

frankenroad

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 03, 2021, 02:47:48 AM
Quote from: US 89 on April 29, 2021, 07:24:49 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 28, 2021, 06:16:46 PM
Quote from: GaryV on April 28, 2021, 06:15:41 PM

And "half past four" is certainly better than the British version "half four".

Even worse: German "half four" (translated) means 3:30.

Believe it or not, English is actually the odd language out in this respect. The vast majority of Germanic and several other European languages use their equivalent of "half four" to mean "half till four".

I wonder if that might be due to the influence of French, which does not use that Germanic system.

Maybe the English (along with the French and Spanish (and by extension I would assume the Italians and Portuguese as well)) are more past-oriented, looking back in time, whereas others are more future oriented.   Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it!
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: hbelkins on May 02, 2021, 10:56:50 PM

The tan Toyota Tacoma truck many of you knew as my vehicle over the years had a factory double-DIN unit with cassette and CD.

my 99 camry has that. i use a bluetooth-cassette thingy to play music from the phone, and when i'm driving mother around, she'll bring a cd or two.

it's decent, too, for a factory unit. sounds nice.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Road Hog

I had a really top-end Pioneer cassette deck in the 1990s that had Dolby C (near-zero tape hiss) and could be equalized for near-CD-quality sound. Too bad it crapped out before I could hook it up and rip MP3's from it, because I still have a lot of music on those cassettes.

Rothman

I finally got rid of a whole lot of my cassettes -- albums anyway.  Don't even have a way to play them any longer.  Kept only a half dozen mixtapes that have a little sentimental value.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ned Weasel

It's still possible to play audio cassettes, and there are more examples than just this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CFDS70-BLK-Cassette-Boombox-Audio/dp/B01NAWBY12
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Rothman

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 10, 2021, 10:00:19 AM
It's still possible to play audio cassettes, and there are more examples than just this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CFDS70-BLK-Cassette-Boombox-Audio/dp/B01NAWBY12
Sure, but there was no reason to keep already worn cassettes when the music is widely available on the Internet.

Not even sure for the cassettes I kept if I'd put the money towards a new deck.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

In_Correct

I also have audio cassettes, 8 Track cassettes, (and prefer them) ... I have Diskettes, I have Floppy Disks. I have ZIP. I have JAZ. I have Magnetic Tape Reels. And Film Reels. The Magnetic Tape Reels are for data storage, meant for computers such as vintage | d | i | g | i | t | a | l |  main frames.

I do not use most of these ... I especially hate Diskettes as much as I hate Magnetic Video Tape. ... I like to look at Laser Discs but playing them is another story. The machines break all the time. If you think DVD BluRay are all bad, the Laser Disc Players wear out even faster. The main purpose of me collecting old media formats is be cause they are fun to look at. If I play them, I make copies newer computer formats such as Solid State be cause I worry the vintage formats might malfunction.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 10, 2021, 10:00:19 AM

It's only been about 8 or 9 years ago, but when the radio in my wife's minivan died for the third time she asked for one with cassette tape.  Amazingly, I found one from Pioneer that was still on the market and my local shop ordered it for me.  A few days later, they called me and said that their supplier had just run out.  I went back to the online supplier and they still had more than 20 in stock, so I bought one.  A few weeks later I get an EMAIL with a full refund.  If I had jumped on the website first, I probably would have gotten it.

It's crazy, as I used to play CDs in the car on my tape cassette deck.  Then I switched to playing CDs over an FM broadcaster.  After that, I was playing tape cassettes over the FM broadcaster.  Then I was playing tape cassettes over a mini-RCA "earphone" auxiliary jack.  I still haven't figured out a simple way to play CDs over Bluetooth, but no problem.  I've still got an old pickup truck with a cassette deck.

Scott5114

Quote from: In_Correct on May 16, 2021, 01:02:59 PM
The Magnetic Tape Reels are for data storage, meant for computers such as vintage | d | i | g | i | t | a | l |  main frames.

It's okay. You can say DEC. Nobody's gonna take your VAX away or anything.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Scott5114

Quote from: renegade on May 16, 2021, 05:27:27 PM
| d | i | g | i | t | a | l |
?

Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), a computer manufacturer in the 1980s that ended up getting bought out by Compaq, which got bought out by HP. Their last logo was this:

In_Correct

Their Credit Union still exists.

I do not know about the official name of Large Magnetic Tape Reels for computers, but they have Magnetic Tape with Foam Block that you put on the outer end of the tape when not in use and then you put a Plastic Ring that fastens together with a Clamp.

There is also a much smaller Cassette version.

frankenroad

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2021, 05:38:10 PM
Quote from: renegade on May 16, 2021, 05:27:27 PM
| d | i | g | i | t | a | l |
?

Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), a computer manufacturer in the 1980s that ended up getting bought out by Compaq, which got bought out by HP. Their last logo was this:

I worked there from 1983-1992
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

zachary_amaryllis

there's always the debate about what sounds better.

analog probably DOES sound better, but my hearing is deteriorated to the point where i don't think i could tell the difference. my work (i'm a sign spinner) requires me to have a large amount of music on me, and one can't beat the convienience of several thousand songs stored on the micro-sd in my phone, plus whatever i want to listen to via iheartradio etc. so yeah, i'm probably sacrificing some, but my old hairy ears can't tell the difference.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.