What do you like on your Subway sandwich?

Started by Ned Weasel, May 05, 2021, 05:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on May 05, 2021, 04:10:11 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 05, 2021, 04:06:27 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 05, 2021, 04:02:02 PM
I have been wary of Wegmans' subs.

Bad experience?

I have never had any issues with them, although I always order at the time. Never tried the pre-packaged ones.
Nah.  Just don't think it's as good a deal as could be had elsewhere.

Reeks of Panera:  Food packaged or presented as better than it is.

The large sub isn't priced too bad, but it is a classic Wegmans move to charge big bucks on all their Market Cafe, specialty, and pre-packaged items.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

9-grain wheat, cold cut combo, provolone, olives, pickles, tomatoes, banana peppers, honey mustard, and salt and pepper.

Dammit, now I'm hungry.

Scott5114

I used to eat Subway every Monday, since there was one across the street from work, I was always hungry when I got off, and I wanted to go to the gym after. So I'd go to Subway and get an Italian herb & cheese with turkey, American cheese, lettuce, cucumber, and light mayo.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

OCGuy81

I think Subway was a lot better in the 90s.  I liked the way they cut into the top of their bread. And the pizza sub. The delicious pizza sub....

dlsterner

On my Subway sandwich?  Somebody else's hands ... and my money back in mine.

So I can go to a nearby Quizno's, Firehouse, Potbelly, Jersey Mike's, etc so I can get a sub that actually tastes good.

OCGuy81

Quote from: dlsterner on May 05, 2021, 09:29:10 PM
On my Subway sandwich?  Somebody else's hands ... and my money back in mine.

So I can go to a nearby Quizno's, Firehouse, Potbelly, Jersey Mike's, etc so I can get a sub that actually tastes good.

I wasn't aware Quizno's were still in business. I always liked them. Blimpie too.

Scott5114

This made me look up if Quizno's was even in business anymore; all of the standalone locations around here have closed down. Apparently the OU student union has one, but obviously going there would be too much trouble as a non-student.

I have to say, Firehouse is definitely a lot better than Subway, but Subway is just straight-up available in more places. So it's kind of like McDonalds–yeah, it's not gourmet, but if you're just wanting to eat and go it's a valid option. Also, Firehouse gives my wife indigestion so it's off the list unless I'm eating alone.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

I like Erbert and Gerbert's the best of sub chains, but they're regional. Jersey Mike's > Jimmy John's > a week-old stale baguette with meat scraps > Subway.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

All these mentions of Jimmy John's reminds me of a co-worker who loved both food and deals.  One day he was walking around telling everyone about how it was customer appreciation day and every sub was a dollar, and how he and some others were going to go there and eat lots of subs, and telling everyone who would listen that they should do the same.

The next day he was complaining about how bad the subs were and how little meat each sub had.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

allniter89

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 05, 2021, 09:19:00 AM
Quote from: GaryV on May 05, 2021, 09:16:01 AM
Is "Jimmy John's" an option?

If you buy both a Subway sandwich and a Jimmy John's sandwich, and put the Jimmy John's sandwich on (or in) the Subway sandwich, then sure.
We have a Jimmy Johns' here. I very seldom see a car there.
At Subway I order with only lettuce & tomatoes. I usually buy two footlongs, I eat one & save the other for later. They get really soggy if SW puts sauces on so I use my own sauces miracle whip I honey mustard. Damn now I'm hungry.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

interstatefan990

Footlong Italian bread Steak & Cheese with mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, guac, a dash of mayo, and sweet onion sauce.

I have to admit though, every once in a while a sub from Jimmy John's is just better suited to my taste.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

webny99

I'm taking the question to mean subs in general, not Subway sandwich specifically.

I'm pretty basic: typically roast beef or turkey/ham, provolone, lettuce, tomato, mayo, sub oil or vinegar, and maybe pickles or sweet peppers.

kphoger

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 05, 2021, 07:17:05 PM
I think Subway was a lot better in the 90s.  I liked the way they cut into the top of their bread. And the pizza sub. The delicious pizza sub....

I'm not sure if Subway was better back then, or if other sub shops simply overtook them in quality and prevalence.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 05, 2021, 09:42:01 PM

This made me look up if Quizno's was even in business anymore; all of the standalone locations around here have closed down. Apparently the OU student union has one, but obviously going there would be too much trouble as a non-student.

Glad I'm not the only one saddened by Quizno's rapidly disappearing.  My campus center had a Quizno's my freshman year, but the following summer they removed it and replaced it with some off-brand sandwich place called "Mondo's" (which I suspect was the campus dining service company's own creation) - let me tell you, it made Subway look gourmet in comparison.

Besides that, I think the only Quizno's I've been to are all transportation-related: BWI's Southwest concourse (since replaced by Chick-fil-A) and the PATP New Stanton Service Plaza come to mind.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

OCGuy81

Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 06, 2021, 10:41:22 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 05, 2021, 09:42:01 PM

Glad I'm not the only one saddened by Quizno's rapidly disappearing.  My campus center had a Quizno's my freshman year, but the following summer they removed it and replaced it with some off-brand sandwich place called "Mondo's" (which I suspect was the campus dining service company's own creation) - let me tell you, it made Subway look gourmet in comparison.

Besides that, I think the only Quizno's I've been to are all transportation-related: BWI's Southwest concourse (since replaced by Chick-fil-A) and the PATP New Stanton Service Plaza come to mind.

I found a pretty interesting article on the collapse of Quizno's. 

It wasn't long ago that Quiznos was a pretty big deal. They were a little more upscale than Subway, and those toasted rolls were an absolute win no matter what was on them. But it turns out that toasting rolls isn't enough to keep them on the top of the food chain when it comes to fast food sub shops.

If you can't remember the last time you saw one, it's not your imagination. According to Restaurant Business, the 4,700 locations they had in 2007 had shrunk to less than 400 in a decade. That's a huge loss – about 90 percent of their stores – so how does that much loss even happen?

More here: http://www.mashed.com/132827/the-real-reason-why-quiznos-is-disappearing-across-the-country/

kphoger

There's a Quiznos four miles from my house.

I agree that they're awesome, and I'm sad to see them go.  It's their franchise model that doomed them, as I understand things.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

(Around here, Quizno's seems to cater to the professional crowd.  The one that used to be downtown was open for lunch only, apparently catering to businessmen on lunch break.  The one that's still open not far from my house is right by the Textron/Hawker/Beechcraft factory.)
Male pronouns, please.

NWI_Irish96

My favorite thing on a Subway sub would be a coupon for Jimmy John's.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 06, 2021, 11:11:10 AM

That binds me up, I'm on the john for an hour if I eat a coupon.
Male pronouns, please.

OCGuy81

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2021, 11:11:55 AM

:-D :clap:

NWI_Irish96

Eating a coupon isn't any worse than eating what Subway puts on their bread.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 06, 2021, 11:17:47 AM

Eating a coupon isn't any worse than eating what Subway puts on their bread.

Well played, sir!

Actually, though, I like what's on the bread just fine.  It's the bread itself I'm not crazy about.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

That binds me up, I'm on the jimmy john for an hour if I eat a coupon.

FTFY  :D

kphoger

I don't think Jimmy John likes me on his body.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.