News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dumbest thing you've ever done while driving

Started by index, May 11, 2021, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 24, 2021, 05:19:29 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on May 24, 2021, 05:17:10 PM
Yesterday, I got stopped by a cop for going 134 km/h on a rural section of Highway 401 (near Gananoque). Because I have a G2 license (step 2 of 3 of the graduated license system here in Ontario), going 30 over the limit would result in a 30-day license suspension...

I got off with a warning because apparently, the officer got a more urgent call and had to leave.

What a lucky first traffic stop.
That's like 83 in 62 in MPH... a bit fast, but not outrageous.

It is outrageous.

That 20 mph difference means a slower reaction time and longer braking distance. Even on a freeway, that difference can cause serious injuries.

One of my friends was rear-ended by someone speeding "only" 15 mph above the 60 limit on I-5 a few years ago and still has issues walking to this day. All of that to save a minute of driving.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Bruce on May 24, 2021, 06:23:46 PM
Yesterday, I got stopped by a cop for going 134 km/h on a rural section of Highway 401 (near Gananoque). Because I have a G2 license (step 2 of 3 of the graduated license system here in Ontario), going 30 over the limit would result in a 30-day license suspension...

I got off with a warning because apparently, the officer got a more urgent call and had to leave.

It is outrageous.

That 20 mph difference means a slower reaction time and longer braking distance. Even on a freeway, that difference can cause serious injuries.

One of my friends was rear-ended by someone speeding "only" 15 mph above the 60 limit on I-5 a few years ago and still has issues walking to this day. All of that to save a minute of driving.
Well given that the speed limit on Ontario 401 really should be at least 110 it's not that bad.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 24, 2021, 06:35:43 PM

It is outrageous.

Well given that the speed limit on Ontario 401 really should be at least 110 it's not that bad.
When you're talking tickets, 20 over is 20 over, no matter the design speed.  It will hurt you when caught.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

Quote from: Rothman on May 24, 2021, 07:09:11 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 24, 2021, 06:35:43 PM

It is outrageous.

When you're talking tickets, 20 over is 20 over, no matter the design speed.  It will hurt you when caught.
True, but saying 80 mph on a wide open rural controlled access highway is dangerous as far as putting all traffic laws aside... it's really not.

sprjus4

It is outrageous.

Urban ≠ rural.

How exactly is 80 mph on a straight, wide open, rural freeway with an artificial 60 mph speed limit necessarily dangerous? The artificial limit is more the danger.

Now, 60 mph on an urban, more congested, roadway that is actually meant for those lower speeds (not the 10 lane, straightaway for 20 miles, that's capped at 55 mph cause "urban" ), and speeding at 80 mph? I agree there.

kphoger

I'm assuming most people on that highway aren't going 100 km/h.  Therefore 134 km/h does not result in a 34 km/h speed differential.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DandyDan

Quote from: GaryV on May 11, 2021, 04:38:15 PM
One of the first times I drove, I misjudged the yellow light and blew through the red.  Right in front of the police station.  Fortunately the only authority figure that saw it was my father in the passenger seat.
I once went the wrong way down a one-way street in front of Omaha police headquarters. Nothing bad happened and I was able to turn at the next intersection.

As for my worst, there was the time I was in the drive-thru of a coffee shop in Omaha where there was a pickup truck parked a little too close to the drive-thru lane. I thought I could get through, but I didn't and had a giant scratch on the passenger side of the first Saturn I had.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

allniter89

Quote from: Rothman on May 24, 2021, 05:36:05 PM

Twenty over will get you a nasty ticket in NY.
Yep, I paid $164 for 21 over in south IL I 24.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.