News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-490 (Western O'Hare Bypass)

Started by JoePCool14, December 02, 2019, 03:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Hi all. I noticed there isn't a thread on our regional board that pertains to the current under construction Interstate 490, the route that will bypass around O'Hare on the west side, connecting I-90, I-294, and IL-390. If anyone has any news, photos, opinions or information of anything related to the project, I'd love to see them here.

Personally I'm mainly curious to see some pictures if anything's going on other than work over I-90. Hopefully as time goes on, we'll get to see more stuff. :nod:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

There is one on the Elgin Ohare  but there is so little new construction coming IllInois either from I DOT  it the Folks at I think deserves its own thread.
Fun fact . This area has the highest concentration of manufacturing jobs inn the state.

ilpt4u

Quote from: 3467 on December 02, 2019, 07:11:02 PM
Fun fact . This area has the highest concentration of manufacturing jobs in the state.
Must have something to do with the wide array of Transportation options...Giant Airport, huge Rail Yards, and multiple Major Interstate Highways

Not exactly sure what exact area you are defining, tho. Just the land immediately to the west of ORD?

I need to link it. Illinois has a publication where workers work in metro Chicago. It matches well with public directories like Illinois Manufacturer Diectory.
Yes there was huge movement out of Chicago after the War but yes it was an ideal area rail lines highways and the airport and lots of cheap land for more efficient single story buildings as opposed to old multi story buildings.

Another interesting trend you can see is the high number of temp jobs in the town's with the most manufacturing jobs. It wasn't just China. There were 16 million manufacturing jobs excluding clothing which all went to China in the 90s and early part of Century but now there are 13 million. But then there were less than half a million temps now there are over a million and a half in manufacturing and this report prices it.So we are down about 2 million a mix of China automation and mergers.

edwaleni

As many are aware the 490 O'Hare Bypass was held up by an issue of ISTHA and the CP Railroad coming to a land use agreement over and around the CP Bensenville Yards immediately south of the airport.

ISTHA has already demolished and cleared land between the I-294 to Irving Park Road and also up on the north side where the Jane Addams intersection will be. (used to be a toll plaza)

The land along York Road and where I-390 (EOH) and I-490 will meet has been in IDOT hands for an eternity. (since the 1970's).

CDOA (Chicago Department of Aviation) has stockpiled so much dirt east of York Road, you could probably fill Lake Michigan with it.  Most of it is for jet noise abatement., but space has been allotted to get the highway built.

Honestly its going to be a real squeeze through there, with Irving Park Road, the CP and UP railroads, York Road and I-490 all on top of it. I just hope a super jumbo doesn't fall short of 10C or 10L and decide to land on top it.

The UP has had to move that ROW some 3 or 4 times since the 50's back when it was the CNW.

ISTHA has pulled down the I-390 part of the site, so there are no maps to show at the moment.

JoePCool14

I kinda figured it was a challenge based on everything going on back there. I never really thought something like this would be possible, but I suppose with enough money, it can be.

Looking at the map there, it's kind of surprising they aren't going with a flyover for the connection to WB 90. Hopefully that turn doesn't end up being too tight for trucks. Was there information about the interchange with 294?

edwaleni

Revive 755

Quote from: edwaleni on December 02, 2019, 09:58:51 PM
ISTHA has already demolished and cleared land between the I-294 to Irving Park Road and also up on the north side where the Jane Addams intersection will be. (used to be a toll plaza)

In it's last incarnation it was an Oasis (Streetview circa 2011).  Somewhat else would need to confirm if there was ever a toll plaza there.

Quote from: edwaleni on December 02, 2019, 09:58:51 PMISTHA has pulled down the I-390 part of the site, so there are no maps to show at the moment.

Besenville still has some IL 390 stuff on their website.

There's also this presentation from the O'Hare Noise Compatibility website.

ilpt4u

As many are aware the 490 O'Hare Bypass was held up by an issue of ISTHA and the CP Railroad coming to a land use agreement over and around the CP Bensenville Yards immediately south of the airport.

The land along York Road and where I-390 (EOH) and I-490 will meet has been in IDOT hands for an eternity. (since the 1970's).

CDOA (Chicago Department of Aviation) has stockpiled so much dirt east of York Road, you could probably fill Lake Michigan with it.  Most of it is for jet noise abatement., but space has been allotted to get the highway built.

Honestly its going to be a real squeeze through there, with Irving Park Road, the CP and UP railroads, York Road and I-490 all on top of it. I just hope a super jumbo doesn't fall short of 10C or 10L and decide to land on top it.

The UP has had to move that ROW some 3 or 4 times since the 50's back when it was the CNW.

ISTHA has pulled down the I-390 part of the site, so there are no maps to show at the moment.
I've been up in Northern Illinois over the T-day Weekend and drove down that stretch of I-90/Jane Addams Tollway just north of ORD...I believe the Overpasses that will carry the 490 Trumpet ober I-90 may already be built? GSV shows the area of the Old Des Plaines Oasis being constructed for new Overpass Piers

X99

I just hope a super jumbo doesn't fall short of 10C or 10L and decide to land on top it.
I just hope the northbound right shoulder doesn't end up like Maho Beach.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

755 is right it was the DesPlaines  Oasis. The toll plaza is farther down toward the Kennedy. It looks like Hinsdale and Ohare oasis are going too leaving only 3 over the road ones.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 3467 on December 03, 2019, 08:47:09 AM
755 is right it was the DesPlaines  Oasis. The toll plaza is farther down toward the Kennedy. It looks like Hinsdale and Ohare oasis are going too leaving only 3 over the road ones.

The Des Plaines Oasis over I-90 was demolished years ago. Only when did construction begin on the new highway did the gas stations on each side also close.

The O'Hare Oasis was over I-294 south of O'Hare, and that was demolished fairly recently too. The gas station is still open though. That Oasis wasn't in the path of the new interchange IIRC.

The Hinsdale Oasis is further south on I-294 and last time I checked, still fully operational and standing. However, it will likely come down at some point for widening of the road.

ET21

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 02, 2019, 11:50:28 PM

I've been up in Northern Illinois over the T-day Weekend and drove down that stretch of I-90/Jane Addams Tollway just north of ORD...I believe the Overpasses that will carry the 490 Trumpet ober I-90 may already be built? GSV shows the area of the Old Des Plaines Oasis being constructed for new Overpass Piers

Yup the bridges are complete, I live just north of this so have been seeing the progress. Right now they are building the new feeder ramps off of Elmhurst and I-90 that'll feed directly into 490.

390 has have made progress eastward as they've begun to build the bridges and pavement to begin the ramps to connect to 490 and eventually the western terminals. So far, nothing else has really begun with 490 outside of some utility relocations along Elmhurst Road and Touhy Ave
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

The Ghostbuster

Why is the northern terminus at Interstate 90 being constructed as a trumpet? Is there not enough space to build flyover ramps?

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 03, 2019, 01:22:17 PM
Why is the northern terminus at Interstate 90 being constructed as a trumpet? Is there not enough space to build flyover ramps?

Ever tried to plow and salt a large flyover?

And yes, this was an oasis not a toll plaza, thanks for the correction above,

SEWIGuy

Quote from: edwaleni on December 03, 2019, 03:55:59 PM

Wisconsin plows and salts flyover ramps at both the Marquette interchange and the Zoo interchange.  Build them wide enough and its fine.

Brandon

The Tollway does this all the time at several of its interchanges.  I strongly suspect the reason for the trumpet is that the primary movement will be to/from the west, and very few will use the ramps to/from the east.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

I think it will be direction of traffic but also space. I think they have tired of fights for example the late Illinois 53. Those Oasis just looked so ultra modern when I was a kid just loved them.
No prob on correction minor error . All tollway property. The new ORT plazas are really interesting looking especially on The far edges of the East West. Like a beacon of civilization in the wilderness.
Looks like Amazon is going to build a big solar facility near the east West in Lee county.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Brandon on December 03, 2019, 04:29:07 PM

The Tollway does this all the time at several of its interchanges.  I strongly suspect the reason for the trumpet is that the primary movement will be to/from the west, and very few will use the ramps to/from the east.

I would agree. There's only 1 entrance ramp westbound between 490 and 294, so the only reason I can really see for people to use that movement would be if they made a mistake.

ilpt4u

Any possibility that, due to proximity to ORD, Flyovers may have been a no-no due to flight paths?

Looking at the ORD Satellite shot, it would have been in a path for a Runway, but that was one of the criss-crossing runways that has since been turned into a taxiway to get ORD to where it has a lot more parallel runways vs crossing runways

Joe The Dragon

JoePCool14

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 03, 2019, 07:23:20 PM
Any possibility that, due to proximity to ORD, Flyovers may have been a no-no due to flight paths?

Looking at the ORD Satellite shot, it would have been in a path for a Runway, but that was one of the criss-crossing runways that has since been turned into a taxiway to get ORD to where it has a lot more parallel runways vs crossing runways

I doubt that's the reason. I think it's more for the fact that the WB to SB movement would be seldom used, making flyover construction overkill.

ET21

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 04, 2019, 09:14:45 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 03, 2019, 07:23:20 PM

I doubt that's the reason. I think it's more for the fact that the WB to SB movement would be seldom used, making flyover construction overkill.

This ^

Most people going westbound on 90 that want to go south would likely use 294, eastbound wanting to go south would use 490. Now I'm sure if one or the other backs up due to a crash it'll increase
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

I wouldn't construct any flyover ramps at the airport either, so it's definitely a good call on building the trumpet interchange at I-90.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Revive 755

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 04, 2019, 09:14:45 AM

I could see the WB to SB movement getting more traffic than anticipated, especially if SB I-490 to WB IL 390 becomes a popular shortcut over to the I-355 corridor.  Though this would be more on congestion avoidance over saving on tolls (since westbound between the Devon Plaza and I-290 there would be zero tolls versus at least another 65 cents for the I-490/IL 390 option); EB I-290 isn't very useful anymore between I-90 and I-355 after 3 PM, if not earlier on most weekdays

Quote from: Henry on December 04, 2019, 09:50:35 AM
I wouldn't construct any flyover ramps at the airport either, so it's definitely a good call on building the trumpet interchange at I-90.

Would a flyover actually get that much higher than the top of the old oasis building, assuming no overhead signs or light poles are mounted on the flyover?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.