News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

^ I thought the stub at the western/southern I-39/US 20 interchange was supposed to be a connection to the cancelled freeway along the railroads to downtown Rockford?

mrose

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 21, 2021, 08:43:19 PM
Honestly, this is one of those short stretches that would benefit from being transferred to ISTHA jurisdiction. This way we could be sure it would probably be done in a timely manner and correctly. Yeah, some Rockford and Cherry Valley residents might balk at the added tolls, but honestly, most people who use it probably are tollway bound or coming from the tollway anyway.

Maybe they could bring back the 15 cent one.

*ducks*

ChiMilNet

Quote from: mrose on July 30, 2021, 05:31:11 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 21, 2021, 08:43:19 PM
Honestly, this is one of those short stretches that would benefit from being transferred to ISTHA jurisdiction. This way we could be sure it would probably be done in a timely manner and correctly. Yeah, some Rockford and Cherry Valley residents might balk at the added tolls, but honestly, most people who use it probably are tollway bound or coming from the tollway anyway.

Maybe they could bring back the 15 cent one.

*ducks*
Well, with how much the tolls are now, I don't think people would push back at 15 cents. Sadly, it'd probably be something more like $1 at least. On the bright side, since no more cash collection, all they would need to do is just add an electronic toll collection gantry... probably at an upgraded I-39/US 20 interchange. That said, this is getting into fictional territory, so I'll stop here!

ChiMilNet

Question? Does the tollway intend to remove the signs alluding to cash payments? There are still many places where this is posted, and honestly, I can see where those without IPass who are coming from out of state would be very confused. I know the decision was abrupt, but they have had half a year now to get on removing (or at least covering) those signs.

Also, I realize this next item is a more longer term thing, but wouldn't it make sense now to start removing the toll plaza structures. I would say some should get priority over others... for instance, the EB I-90 River Road Toll Plaza would be a perfect one to start with, as an example. Thoughts?

ET21

They already have in many spots. Most notable include I-88 which took all the signs down and left the gantry structures up. It'll probably be an eventual phase out
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stephane Dumas

I found by luck this video posted last October showing the progress of the reconstruction of Mile Long Bridge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBsZs2mAwLw

edwaleni

Pre-stressed concrete.

90 inches by 187 feet.

I am going to check around, they said it is the longest ever fabbed in the midwest.

I would be curious where a pre-stressed beam more than 187 feet would be in use right now.

edwaleni

The longest prestressed girder ever built in North America is prepared for transport to its new home on the future I-5 Puyallup River Bridge in Tacoma, Washington. Photo credit: WSDOT

SSOWorld

I had to drive around one of those during my long trip last weekend.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hobart

So I'm not sure if this was brought up already, but I noticed that the Illinois Tollway uses a different striping ratio for the broken yellow lines than roads maintained by IDOT. I'm not sure if it's the only road that does this, but does anybody know why the ISTHA uses a different striping ratio?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Hobart on August 25, 2021, 09:54:17 PM
So I'm not sure if this was brought up already, but I noticed that the Illinois Tollway uses a different striping ratio for the broken yellow lines than roads maintained by IDOT. I'm not sure if it's the only road that does this, but does anybody know why the ISTHA uses a different striping ratio?
I think you meant "...broken yellowwhite lines..."  as ISTHA doesn't have too many opportunties to sign broken yellow lines, as the Tollways are not 2 lane undivided highways

Don't know the reason, but they are not the only agency that uses the longer lane stripe. The New Jersey Turnpike Authority uses the same/similar to ISTHA, and also the Indiana Toll Road uses a similar striping ratio

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 25, 2021, 10:18:03 PM
I think you meant "...broken yellowwhite lines..."  as ISTHA doesn't have too many opportunties to sign broken yellow lines, as the Tollways are not 2 lane undivided highways

Don't know the reason, but they are not the only agency that uses the longer lane stripe. The New Jersey Turnpike Authority uses the same/similar to ISTHA, and also the Indiana Toll Road uses a similar striping ratio

Yeah, they use 25:25, instead of 10:30. Also, the lane lines are thicker. The yellow line on the left, however, is not thicker, which I don't like.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ChiMilNet

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 25, 2021, 11:24:54 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on August 25, 2021, 10:18:03 PM

Yeah, they use 25:25, instead of 10:30. Also, the lane lines are thicker. The yellow line on the left, however, is not thicker, which I don't like.

Overall, I much prefer how the Tollway does the striping (and honestly, their construction standards as a whole) compared to IDOT. The striping on the tollway is a lot easier to see, and I think IDOT would be wise to take a page out of their construction standards book. That said, I am not too sure the reason, but it is a lot easier to see... also one more way it is obvious when the tollway maintenance begins and ends on a roadway.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ChiMilNet on August 26, 2021, 11:46:29 AM
The striping on the tollway is a lot easier to see, and I think IDOT would be wise to take a page out of their construction standards book.

To be fair, here IDOT is just following the MUTCD. The change to thicker lines, though, has been recommended for the next version.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US20IL64

I am hoping for more lanes where the booths were, such as Irving Park exit on 294. Big back up to the one I-Pass lane on right.

Whenever people complain of tolls, just look at the Ike in Oak Park/Maywood, and the narrow Edens with underpasses that flood often. Freeways for sure. :popcorn:

US20IL64

Tollway sign pet peeve

Heading south on the Tri-State, right after the 94-294 split for Edens spur, sign says "Begin 294. 92 Ends"
94 doesn't "end"!  :angry: It goes east on its own. Who approved this?  :banghead:

Sign on left side would make more sense showing split of routes.

SSOWorld

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 08, 2021, 02:29:07 AM
Tollway sign pet peeve

Heading south on the Tri-State, right after the 94-294 split for Edens spur, sign says "Begin 294. 92 Ends"
94 doesn't "end"!  :angry: It goes east on its own. Who approved this?  :banghead:

Simply ISTHA being ISTHA.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JoePCool14

Tollway sign pet peeve

I assume no one here likes that standard ISTHA practice. It's stupid and makes no sense.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

edwaleni

edwaleni

Tollway sign pet peeve

I checked the maps going back to the mid-50's. I wanted to see if I-94 "ended" at that I-294 split before the Edens Connector was built.

The maps aren't clear, in 1956 it calls it US-41 with the connector under construction. By 1958 it shows I-94 from the split all the way to Foster, where the "Northwest Expressway" was still under construction.

I can only guess, but this must be a carry over legacy sign from the 1950's from when I-294 opened before the Edens Connector did. ISTHA keeps replacing the sign over the years even though I-94 doesn't end there anymore.

Joe The Dragon

It was TOLL-US41 for some time

US20IL64

I think just not too bright to say "94 ends" as if the Spur doesn't exist.  :pan:

Also, many overhead signs saying 94 on the left is going to Chicago, and then to say it "ended"? Can go on all day, but  :spin:

ET21

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 07, 2021, 10:37:10 PM
I am hoping for more lanes where the booths were, such as Irving Park exit on 294. Big back up to the one I-Pass lane on right.

I-Pass is left side for that exit, and there is an eventual conversion most likely with the in person cash tolls dying with Covid. They are using them as staging areas for the rebuild at the moment.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Crash_It

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 08, 2021, 10:58:49 AM
Tollway sign pet peeve

I assume no one here likes that standard ISTHA practice. It's stupid and makes no sense.

It's telling you that 94 ends on that path and that it is now 294. Makes sense to me. I understood it since I was in my teens. At the end of 294 in South Holland it says the reverse, indicating that 294 is over on that path (except for good) and that 80/94 is taking over

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Crash_It link=topic=17650.hmsg2658883#msg2658883 date=1631162010
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 08, 2021, 10:58:49 AM
Tollway sign pet peeve

It's telling you that 94 ends on that path and that it is now 294. Makes sense to me. I understood it since I was in my teens. At the end of 294 in South Holland it says the reverse, indicating that 294 is over on that path (except for good) and that 80/94 is taking over

It makes sense cause you grew up with it. It is actually poor signage because I-94 doesn't "end." . What they are indicating should just be done with guide signs. Or simply a sign that says "294 Begins"  without the End portion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.