News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

IN 22 in Kokomo

Started by roadman65, June 30, 2021, 06:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that since INDOT relinquished IN 22 between US 31 and somewhere along Sycamore Street west of Downtown, the trailblazers have been removed per GSV. 

I understand there is now a gap in the route due to INDOT not allowing it to be considered IN 22 due to the same rule CA and FL have which only allows state designations to be applied only on state maintained roads and not municipal roads.  However even Caltrans allows TO shields to help those traveling the severed route to be posted in between.  Yet all shields at Sycamore and Washington as well as Washington and Markland are all gone in Downtown Kokomo.  Even along IN 931 the intersection with Markland Avenue has no TO SR 22 shields where the route used to junction either.  Only TO US 31 shields and IN 931 shields exist at that intersection.

I'm guessing that INDOT could care less about straight through SR 22 motorists then.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tdindy88

That's par the course for INDOT. They are expecting you to know how to get through Kokomo with GPS or that handy map of Kokomo that you happen to have...right? In reality though, SR 22 through Kokomo was a pretty local route, it's not an important highway where connectivity to the surrounding area is important. It's multiplexed with US 35 from US 31 east to I-69, a much more important highway in that area. Which means there no reason for that to be SR 22 anyway. The western section of SR 22 connects the western edge of Kokomo with SR 29 and frankly could become a county highway. So naturally INDOT could care less if there's any signs connecting the two sections of SR 22.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 30, 2021, 08:16:50 PM
That's par the course for INDOT. They are expecting you to know how to get through Kokomo with GPS or that handy map of Kokomo that you happen to have...right? In reality though, SR 22 through Kokomo was a pretty local route, it's not an important highway where connectivity to the surrounding area is important. It's multiplexed with US 35 from US 31 east to I-69, a much more important highway in that area. Which means there no reason for that to be SR 22 anyway. The western section of SR 22 connects the western edge of Kokomo with SR 29 and frankly could become a county highway. So naturally INDOT could care less if there's any signs connecting the two sections of SR 22.
This also burns me up.  I wish that we had legislators who would push some sort of a bill through that when this situation occurs, that the old road is still posted, but perhaps instead of the normal sign, it would also include the words "XXXX County" so for INDOT, there was a notice that it was not a state maintained highway, but it would be clear the road continued and could be followed.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Life in Paradise on July 01, 2021, 12:44:45 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on June 30, 2021, 08:16:50 PM
This also burns me up.  I wish that we had legislators who would push some sort of a bill through that when this situation occurs, that the old road is still posted, but perhaps instead of the normal sign, it would also include the words "XXXX County" so for INDOT, there was a notice that it was not a state maintained highway, but it would be clear the road continued and could be followed.

Maybe INDOT should just suck it up and be like other DOTs and have state highways run through towns and cities? Even if they don't want to maintain the road, at least maintain signage for the route, like with IDOT and roads in Chicago.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: roadman65 on June 30, 2021, 06:25:10 PM

I'm guessing that INDOT could care less about straight through SR 22 motorists then.

Not a whole lot of people going back and forth between Greentown and Burlington.

When INDOT decommissioned 160, 311 and 403, Clark County signed them as county highways with the same numbers.

Kokomo could choose to sign the former routing of 22 through the city as "TO" or "OLD" 22.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Finrod

I still think that Indiana cities should sign these roads themselves.  Kokomo 22, Lafayette 26.  As long as the number is kept the same, most people won't care.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.