News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

And... some recognition for the Bills! 4 prime time games, up from just 1 last year.
Bills-Chiefs on TNF and Bills-Steelers on SNF should be fun.

I just don't want the expectations to get too high, because that tends to lead to crash and burn situations.
Last season was perfect, because it was relatively unexpected success story. There's going to be a lot more pressure this year, with everyone assuming they'll win the division, plus a much tougher schedule with 4 trips out west (vs. zero last year).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on May 08, 2020, 11:08:15 PM
And... some recognition for the Bills! 4 prime time games, up from just 1 last year.
Bills-Chiefs on TNF and Bills-Steelers on SNF should be fun.

I just don't want the expectations to get too high, because that tends to lead to crash and burn situations.
Last season was perfect, because it was relatively unexpected success story. There's going to be a lot more pressure this year, with everyone assuming they'll win the division, plus a much tougher schedule with 4 trips out west (vs. zero last year).
Without Tom my Patriots shouldn't put up much of a fight for the AFC east, but with Belichick who knows.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CoreySamson

I'm feeling like the Texans will have a down year, and no, it's not because of the Hopkins trade. They did literally nothing to fix the secondary, drafting a cornerback in the 4th round all the while losing 2 of the previous starters in free agency. Not only that, but the Titans and Colts both had great offseasons. I'm predicting 7 wins.

As for the Texans schedule, I think the first half of it is absolutely brutal, though the second half is soft. I mean, first four weeks is KC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota. Not sure if I've ever seen a harder start in the NFL.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Roadgeekteen

The NFL gave every team 2 home games and 2 away games in the first 4 weeks. They should have made them all AFC-NFC though.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SEWIGuy

1982 was a strike shortened season.  They made the decision that year to get rid of divisions and have 8 playoff teams per conference.  I was 14 years old and that was the first Packer playoff win of my lifetime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_NFL_season

My guess is that if the NFL season is shortened, they would do something similar.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 09, 2020, 11:46:04 PM
The NFL gave every team 2 home games and 2 away games in the first 4 weeks. They should have made them all AFC-NFC though.

Zero chance that NBC agrees to have the Chiefs hosting Atlanta or Carolina for opening night.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SEWIGuy

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 10, 2020, 03:31:55 PM

Zero chance that NBC agrees to have the Chiefs hosting Atlanta or Carolina for opening night.

If the NFL gets to the point where they are lopping four games off the front of its schedule, NBC won't have much choice.

Henry

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 11, 2020, 08:41:50 AM

If the NFL gets to the point where they are lopping four games off the front of its schedule, NBC won't have much choice.
But those four games could be added to January, resulting in the entire playoffs taking place in February and the Super Bowl being held on the last day of that month, with no Pro Bowl being played. Look, the schedule that the NFL came out with is portable, and I do believe that it's a good idea to move games around if the second wave hits as expected; that way, no games would be lost, and the entire schedule could be altered, if need be.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on May 12, 2020, 10:42:26 AM

But those four games could be added to January, resulting in the entire playoffs taking place in February and the Super Bowl being held on the last day of that month, with no Pro Bowl being played. Look, the schedule that the NFL came out with is portable, and I do believe that it's a good idea to move games around if the second wave hits as expected; that way, no games would be lost, and the entire schedule could be altered, if need be.

I understand that reducing the schedule by 4 games or moving the first four weeks to the end of the season are options.  I'm just pointing out that as long as there's a chance that the season starts on time, NBC is not going to allow any restrictions on who plays in Kansas City for one of the highest rated games of the season.

Alps

It's a limited amount of portable, though, once stadiums start being booked.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Alps on May 12, 2020, 02:02:31 PM

My understanding is the NFL requires that its stadiums have a NFL "right of first refusal."  That the NFL will make reasonable accomodations of course but are expected to be flexible in case of issues like these.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 12, 2020, 02:34:34 PM

My understanding is the NFL requires that its stadiums have a NFL "right of first refusal."  That the NFL will make reasonable accomodations of course but are expected to be flexible in case of issues like these.

The stadiums are already reserved for three weeks after the end of the season for playoff games, so you only have to be worried about the last regular season week and playoff weeks after that.  The majority are outdoor stadiums that aren't having events in February anyway.  Have no idea if the NFL has a contingency in place to use the indoor stadiums beyond that point.

Speaking of stadiums, does anyone know what the NFL's contingency is in the incredibly unlikely event that the Jets/Giants or Chargers/Rams both end up hosting conference championship games?  Doesn't seem possible to have two games in the same stadium the same day.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 12, 2020, 02:46:14 PM

The stadiums are already reserved for three weeks after the end of the season for playoff games, so you only have to be worried about the last regular season week and playoff weeks after that.  The majority are outdoor stadiums that aren't having events in February anyway.  Have no idea if the NFL has a contingency in place to use the indoor stadiums beyond that point.

Speaking of stadiums, does anyone know what the NFL's contingency is in the incredibly unlikely event that the Jets/Giants or Chargers/Rams both end up hosting conference championship games?  Doesn't seem possible to have two games in the same stadium the same day.
I think that they would put a game on Monday.

triplemultiplex

The Jets and Chargers will do their best to prevent this from ever happening.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

webny99

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 13, 2020, 03:21:39 PM

I thought it was the Giants and Rams these days...

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Henry on May 14, 2020, 02:50:59 PM
Fox is looking to experiment with virtual crowds and piped-in sounds in empty stadiums this coming season:

https://tvline.com/2020/05/14/football-games-nfl-virtual-fans-crowd-sounds-2020-fox/
Falcons already have experience with this.

1995hoo

Back when the Giants and Jets shared Giants Stadium, there was at least one time (1985 season) when they both had home wild-card playoff games on the same weekend. The Jets game was played Saturday, the Giants game Sunday. Back then, there was one wild-card game per conference because a total of ten teams made the playoffs (each conference had three division winners and two wild-card teams), so the two wild-card games were normally played on the same Sunday. That year was an exception. I assume they'd do the same if this were to happen during any other playoff round. In 1985, it helped that Giants Stadium had an AstroTurf field–they just rolled up the Jets' end zones and replaced them with the Giants'.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

nexus73

ROTFLMAO!  That was a good one!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: nexus73 on May 15, 2020, 11:14:34 AM

ROTFLMAO!  That was a good one!

Rick
Chargers looking better than the Rams.

SEWIGuy

I hope the NFL broadcasts don't pump in fake crowd noise if there are no fans in the stands this fall.  Watching the Bundesliga this morning, and while no fans is strange, no fans with fan noise in the background would be 100% worse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 16, 2020, 09:40:10 AM
I hope the NFL broadcasts don't pump in fake crowd noise if there are no fans in the stands this fall.  Watching the Bundesliga this morning, and while no fans is strange, no fans with fan noise in the background would be 100% worse.
Hopefully they show at least a couple quiet games. That would be cool.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: thspfc on June 22, 2020, 12:18:58 PM
There won't be college football in the fall. No chance. I think there's still a chance the NFL will play though.
Really disappointing around here, because with Greg Schiano back at Rutgers, everyone wants to see whether he can perform magic twice.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.