Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/50526795356

Not erroneous in design but arrow is wrong. Turning left is into a one way road. The arrow should be consistent with WB GA 204 as that is where I-95 really is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on October 22, 2020, 12:27:04 AM
Along those lines, these signs seem to contradict each other, until you consider that they are correct from each lane's point of view.

That seems pretty screwy. I'm not 100% sold on that being allowed.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on October 26, 2020, 03:35:06 PM
Along those lines, these signs seem to contradict each other, until you consider that they are correct from each lane's point of view.

Yeah, that is super screwy. The sign on the left should've been duplicated on the right, as it seems to be most accurate to the conditions.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on October 27, 2020, 10:40:16 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 26, 2020, 03:35:06 PM

Yeah, that is super screwy. The sign on the left should've been duplicated on the right, as it seems to be most accurate to the conditions.

I would agree. The pavement arrows suggest that both lanes continue "straight" at the first intersection, but the right lane then turns at the second intersection. The sign on the left is more reflective of this.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/RpRKmG3eYUt5Pfn78

George Washington Bridge directs you onto CR 505 rather than the PIP south in Englewood, NJ. Should be to the right as well as Fort Lee.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Business Loop 40 at Henryetta, OK
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ErmineNotyours

Not exactly an error in the wild, but in the MUTCD:

"The first illustration shows a horizontal rectangular sign with the words "BLUE SPRINGS" on the top line and, on the bottom line, three symbols showing a tent, gasoline pump, and trailer, ..."

Uh, that's a lighthouse.

Dirt Roads

Last week, I found the following at the west end of Bypass US-70 (Cornelius Street at Faucette Mill Road) in Hillsborough, North Carolina:

East        East
  West    Business    Truck
  US-70    US-70     NC-86
     ^         <--           ^

Of course, Truck NC-86 is supposed to be southbound here (but the road is running almost due west).  Also not thrilled with the placement of the bannered route in the middle of the trio.  This must have gone up recently, since I go through there at least one a week.  (Sorry, but still using a flip phone).

dfilpus

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 16, 2020, 08:15:28 PM
Last week, I found the following at the west end of Bypass US-70 (Cornelius Street at Faucette Mill Road) in Hillsborough, North Carolina:

East        East
  West    Business    Truck
  US-70    US-70     NC-86
     ^         <--           ^

Of course, Truck NC-86 is supposed to be southbound here (but the road is running almost due west).  Also not thrilled with the placement of the bannered route in the middle of the trio.  This must have gone up recently, since I go through there at least one a week.  (Sorry, but still using a flip phone).

Looking at StreetView over time, this sign complex has been there since at least 2011. However, in 2011, the banner sign for NC 86 read "TRUCKS" plural. By 2015, it was replaced with "TRUCK". The directional sign for NC 86 has been EAST all along.

formulanone

"US 555" marked on an overpass for South Carolina's Highway 555 over I-77:

KEK Inc.

This is a bit too far south for US-30.
Take the road less traveled.

US71

Quote from: KEK Inc. on November 20, 2020, 03:58:07 AM

The sign placement leaves a lot to be desired.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Occidental Tourist

Hmmm, US federal shield and what looks like a US state highway shield, but they're driving on the left side.  I'm stumped.

PurdueBill

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on November 30, 2020, 12:57:59 AM

Hmmm, US federal shield and what looks like a US state highway shield, but they're driving on the left side.  I'm stumped.

Has to be US Virgin Islands from the driving on the left but US-style signage (the US shield an error; the circle OK).  I found the location on St. Thomas:  https://goo.gl/maps/CmJLR5TESAyU28g1A

(If you pan around, the "Bridge to Nowhere" (actually labeled as such on the map) is interesting.  Aborted highway project, presumably?)

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: PurdueBill on November 30, 2020, 02:23:21 AM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on November 30, 2020, 12:57:59 AM

Has to be US Virgin Islands from the driving on the left but US-style signage (the US shield an error; the circle OK).  I found the location on St. Thomas:  https://goo.gl/maps/CmJLR5TESAyU28g1A

(If you pan around, the "Bridge to Nowhere" (actually labeled as such on the map) is interesting.  Aborted highway project, presumably?)

They drive on the left, but all the steering wheels I can see are also on the left.

jakeroot

USVI drives on the left as a hold-over from Danish rule, but because its part of North America, and particularly because it's part of the United States, RHD vehicles are extremely hard to come by. Unless you want to drive a converted car, which is probably crap, or want to drive something from the UK or Japan that's 25 years old, you're stuck with LHD and LHT. Crappy combo. I'm surprised they still drive on the left.

As to the "Bridge to Nowhere", that's now the main road. It opened a couple years ago. The US-30 shield is history.

Original story on the recent construction from 2017. The bridge was built before ROW was purchased.

fwydriver405

PurdueBill

Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2020, 01:14:13 AM
USVI drives on the left as a hold-over from Danish rule, but because its part of North America, and particularly because it's part of the United States, RHD vehicles are extremely hard to come by. Unless you want to drive a converted car, which is probably crap, or want to drive something from the UK or Japan that's 25 years old, you're stuck with LHD and LHT. Crappy combo. I'm surprised they still drive on the left.

As to the "Bridge to Nowhere", that's now the main road. It opened a couple years ago. The US-30 shield is history.

Original story on the recent construction from 2017. The bridge was built before ROW was purchased.

I wondered if it was like the "Bridge To Nowhere" in Newark, Delaware at 273 and 4 that eventually became used but sat for years like the one in question here, although there are enough abandoned never-completed things out there that you wonder.

One time a number of years ago our then-mailman visited the USVI and said how he was right at home somehow driving on the left in a rental car that had the wheel on the left, after driving his work postal vehicle (a Jeep, remember those?, then the current truck model) which had the wheel on the right on the right side of the road at home so much.  Somehow not being on the side of the vehicle closer to the center line "felt right" to him even though he was driving on the left instead of the right.  Sounded weird, but I got it...

jmd41280

I wasn't able to take any photos, but the new mile markers on the recently-reconstructed stretch of I-70 in Washington, PA have US 70 shields on them instead of I-70 ones.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Caps81943

Quote from: jmd41280 on December 01, 2020, 05:51:32 PM
I wasn't able to take any photos, but the new mile markers on the recently-reconstructed stretch of I-70 in Washington, PA have US 70 shields on them instead of I-70 ones.

Wow, that's a screw-up. About how many markers are we talking here? Like every 0.1 mile?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: jmd41280 on December 01, 2020, 05:51:32 PM

But isn't the notion of US-70 an upgrade to any concept of I-70 in Pennsylvania?  Whether it be Town Hill or Breezewood or Speers Bridge or Little Washington, it was like I-70 was a stepchild to everything else in Pennsylvania.  My old car that got all scratched up from the tar-and-chip repairs on I-70 somewhere around Belle Vernon in the late 1980s just died in a puff of smoke a few weeks ago.

ozarkman417

The opposite of the error above: US 65 became I-65. I can't say I'm too surprised, given that even the local media has called the freeway as such. Only two mile markers were affected by this error.

GSV from 2017

1995hoo

^^^^

I don't know why it's so hard for people who supposedly understand these things to get it right, especially when there are two signs in close proximity and they don't match. See below from Gainesville, Virginia. The error shield is gone now.

https://goo.gl/maps/iYNmQ5ZXWwEdCSrKA
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 04, 2020, 12:04:07 PM
^^^^

I don't know why it's so hard for people who supposedly understand these things to get it right, especially when there are two signs in close proximity and they don't match. See below from Gainesville, Virginia. The error shield is gone now.

https://goo.gl/maps/iYNmQ5ZXWwEdCSrKA

Well, I kind of doubt it was the decision of the crew putting up the sign as to which shield to use.  They install what's given them.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I mean, I'd at least call the supervisor and say "Hey, I think this might be the wrong sign." But I've also worked with enough people that would say "Eh, that's what they gave us", put it up, and move on.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.